Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generic idea/bug/praise post  (Read 516 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Generic idea/bug/praise post
« on: August 12, 2006, 10:06:00 am »

First of all, since I haven't said it already: Wow. This game has actually trumped my expectations of Spore, and with moderate modification could -be- Spore in a lot of ways that matter to me. Incredible features aside, it's the most fun I've had with a game in years, even with my crap computer. Thanks for sticking with it, Toady.  :)

There are a few things that bother me right now with it. The stone your miner(s) excavate gets in the way of -everything-. Most naggingly, dwarves will not move it off of storage space when something needs to go there, and much of it is wasted until they randomly decide it's time to take it away. Also, if you place a workshop with the impassible bits over a stone (or probably any item), they suspend construction. This might be a feature, but it's aggravating enough to be a bug.

I think the best and most immediate solution would be to add a designation (like mining) that would prioritize all jobs within it. This would also be useful for time-critical situations until more AI is added to deal with them. You could even have layered priorities if you wanted to get really fancy, with additional selections over existing ones increasing a job's importance.

This said, I don't know how complex the job priority decision tree is right now, or even if you wanted to allow the player to influence more than basic priorities, so I don't know if this is feasable. If not this, then things like wheelbarrows would be very useful for just about everything right now. I personally think gameplay should be the first thing you guys work on, as far as new features go, with bugs taking priority, of course.

Back to the fortress!  :D

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Generic idea/bug/praise post
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:58:00 am »

I plan on continuing being helpful for as long as I can.  New features are inevitable at some point though, since I occasionally have to have fun too.  I'm still on a bug fixing roll though.  I'll give a status report at some point as far as how I think my own time is looking.  It's still "summer" on my schedule for another few weeks anyway, which means wake up - work - sleep, with some cooking of flat bread or canned beans or something.

Job priorities are quite important to getting things more playable, and in your role as something like the manager, it's allowable.  The only thing I'm not currently into is individual dwarf manipulation, aside from all the bloats about playing them as adventurers and so on in certain contexts.  There are a billion ways to envision job priorities...  I'll try to select some useful options at some point, when it stops crashing and exploding in various ways.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!