Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me break my game in new and interesting ways? (39c)  (Read 982 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me break my game in new and interesting ways? (39c)
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:33:26 pm »

Just a collection of random stuff I want to do to DF.

1: Make my dwarves uber. Not, "pwn instantly", but nearly so. To that end, I want to set their speed to 1 (I know how to do this already), make it so they can pathfind through water and breathe in water, but not be native swimmers (so I can send them through water and train up their swimming skills).

2: I want elves to go back towards their 38c selves, but still be ready to commit war. That is, I don't want them to OMNOMNOMNOMNOM, but I do want them ready to come and commit war when (not if, when) I Isengard the terrain around my fortress. I do, however, want to make it so that they cannot send in entire armies cloaked. That's retarded.

3: I want Elephants to reclaim the title of King of the Beasts. I want blood, I want gorey gorings. I want Boatmurdered-esque serieses of engravings depicting the horrors of the trunked ones. I want PTSDing military dwarves who "don't really care about anything anymore" and have night horrors and awake screaming "The trumpeting! The trumpeting!" I do, however, also want to set them so they can be trained into war animals, for my Dwarves to lead into combat.

What do I need to do?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Help me break my game in new and interesting ways? (39c)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:08 pm »

It's a known bug that it's impossible to make civilization creatures pathfind in water (or midair) at the moment, aside from the "get me the hell out of this lake" pathfinding. If you want them to breathe underwater anyway, though, remove their lungs from their body tag and add [NOBREATHE] to them.

Not sure about the elves. Doesn't hurt to experiment a bit, though.

As for the elephant question, the best thing I can think of is going to their tusk attack and changing them from ATTACK:SECOND to ATTACK:MAIN, which will let them use their tusks without waiting for their legs to fall off.

Aside from that, there's not really a way to make them more aggressive, unless you change them from [BENIGN] to [LARGE_PREDATOR]. That should make them much more aggressive, but you won't find them in benign areas anymore.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:50:38 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:56:32 pm »

Ok, I've just learned how to do this kind of stuff myself, so bear with me if I'm at all wrong, but I think I can help you.

No. 1: In the "raw, objects, creature_standard.txt" file, at the top you'll see the raws for the dwarves. This is where you'll want to start modding. The main resource you'll use is the wiki, and in this specific case, the http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens page is perfect for you. It lists all the tokens you can use on creatures, and is very useful. So what you want to do is I think to add the tag "[AMPHIBIOUS] anywhere within the dwarf raws, which should make them breath underwater... The tags [SWIMS_LEARNED] that are already present mean they will get swimming skill. Swim speed you know how to do.

No. 2: This I don't really know how to do, but to uncloak their soldiers, remove the [AMBUSHER] tag I think.

No. 3: I think what you need to do here is simply increase the damage they do by modifying the tag "[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:STANCE:kick:kicks:1:2:BLUDGEON]" and changing the two numbers higher, and perhaps remove the [BENIGN] tag too.

Hope this helped a bit, good luck.

- Beacon

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 06:28:41 pm »

Okay, strange question...

Do I have to edit the existing Creature_Large_Tropical or whatever (I mean, I'm assuming I could put the Elephants in a different file, albiet it would make my maps generate differently), or can I make an entirely new file, like, say, Creature_Large_Boatmurderers to add in the insane types of angry creatures?

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:52 pm »

Sure, you could make that new file, just make sure you have the name of the .txt as the first raw, followed by [OBJECT:CREATURE] after a line space, then your new creature. Look at the original file for a template.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »

If you add a new elephant file, be sure to remove the old one from the creature_large_tropical file, or at least give the new elephant a different name (and by "name," I refer to the name in capital letters. I don't care what you do with the names in lowercase letters). Duplicate creatures can cause some rather bizarre things to happen.

You can also just edit the old elephant file, if you want.

Also, the [AMPHIBIOUS] token will NOT let your dwarves breathe underwater, but I think it lets them climb out of water. Unfortunately, I think it also lets dwarves think it's safe to climb back into water, and because of the pathfinding issue I mentioned, they will immediately want to climb back out again. And so on. I don't reccomend using this token for now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:47:25 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »

This comes up oddly often. (Note that the mod is for 38c, so it may not work perfectly in 39x, but it should be at least somewhat helpful.)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:56 pm »

I'm not sure what I did, but even if they're not willing to do work underwater, my dwarves are more than ready to leap, bucknaked, into the cave river and begin wrestling crocodiles, frogmen, and lizardmen with their bare hands.

And thanks to having set their speed to 1, they emerge victorious, too. Here's how I have the wee bearded buggerers:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:DWARF]
[NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven]
[TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
[SPEED:1]
[GENPOWER:3]
[INTELLIGENT]
[TRANCES]
[BENIGN]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[PREFSTRING:beards]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
[STOUT]
[MAXAGE:150:170]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:1:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[DAMBLOCK:1]
[FAT:3]
[SIZE:6]
[EQUIPS]
[CAVE_ADAPT]
[DIURNAL]
[AMPHIBIOUS][NOBREATHE]
[CRAFTSMAN_NAME:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves]
[FISHERMAN_NAME:fisherdwarf:fisherdwarves]
[HAMMERMAN_NAME:hammerdwarf:hammerdwarves]
[SPEARMAN_NAME:speardwarf:speardwarves]
[CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:marksdwarf:marksdwarves]
[AXEMAN_NAME:axedwarf:axedwarves]
[SWORDSMAN_NAME:swordsdwarf:swordsdwarves]
[MACEMAN_NAME:macedwarf:macedwarves]
[PIKEMAN_NAME:pikedwarf:pikedwarves]
[BOWMAN_NAME:bowdwarf:bowdwarves]
[SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:50]
[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]

They didn't freak out - in fact, they were more than willing to form up into a military unit and swim back up the river to kill the other crocs.