Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nameable Levers (and other constructions?)  (Read 1065 times)

Scaevolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nameable Levers (and other constructions?)
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:13 pm »

Allow levers to be "nicknamed", and then have the lever's name display as something like 'Shale Lever "opens nw floodgate"', instead of 'Shale Lever'. This would help alleviate "woops, I didn't mean to open the magma floodgate" issues, and (I assume) wouldn't require much new code to implement.

Similar naming capabilities for all constructions would be helpful as well.

Edit: apparently I'm not the first one to think of this...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:46:26 pm by Scaevolus »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nameable Levers (and other constructions?)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »

Nope, you're number 496th.  Toady has also already implemented it.

Scaevolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »

Recently? I thought he added notes to the world map in Adventurer mode, which isn't quite the same thing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:11:41 pm »

Recently? I thought he added notes to the world map in Adventurer mode, which isn't quite the same thing.

Not the world map, and not adventure mode. The fortress, in fortress mode. You go into a notes mode and you can make and see notes. Then you can make a note on every one of your levers telling you what it does.

mstram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:37:30 am »

Not the world map, and not adventure mode. The fortress, in fortress mode. You go into a notes mode and you can make and see notes. Then you can make a note on every one of your levers telling you what it does.

Well a note on the page, is not the same thing as assigning a name to the actual object.

It would seem to me it should be very simple to just assign a unique id# appended to the name of any object that is to used for linking or referenced by another object, as the default, with the option for the user to change the name.

I'm kind of amazed that it isn't already designed that way

Mike

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 02:17:21 am »

This is Sticktoggles the dreams of haunting, a bauxite lever. 
Notable kills: 13 Nobles in the Fortress of Puppyclocks

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »

Well a note on the page, is not the same thing as assigning a name to the actual object.

It would seem to me it should be very simple to just assign a unique id# appended to the name of any object that is to used for linking or referenced by another object, as the default, with the option for the user to change the name.

I'm kind of amazed that it isn't already designed that way

Mike

Hey, it's not Mike's fault!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always