Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regional Forces  (Read 945 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Regional Forces
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:08:13 pm »

Toady,

Could you give us some more information on how regional forces are figured out right now? I can't seem to find out much about them, other then the fact that they get various nature tags and are worshiped by elves. Are the nature tags dependent on the elves Sphere alignments? Would making a race that uses Regional Forces but had, say, War and Darkness give you more evil aligned forces?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Regional Forces
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:16:16 pm »

AFAIK, there's currently only one force - the nature and rivers one.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:20 am »

That's all I've seen too. I was wondering, though, if that was hardcoded to just be nature/river or if that had something to do with the elves Sphere alignments.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

death_cookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:55:06 am »

Having created a gnome civilization that worships a regional force, they don't get nature/rivers, they get nature/mountains, FYI. I'm not sure exactly what triggers that, however, and currently experimenting to see if I can get nature/deserts or something like that by tweaking the entity's biomes.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »

I found some that worshipped fish.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:28:37 am »

I think I remember Toady saying something about it picking named terrain features (i.e. rivers, peaks, volcanos possibly) from the local area of the race to be their god.

-Angry Lawyer

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:42:54 am »

Anybody that worships a regional force just gets one created for their starting subregion.  I think it'll look at the region to decide if it should throw in tags or not...  lemee go check...  yeah, it's based on region type.  Oceans get (animals/ocean), lakes get (animals/lake), glaciers get (animals), tundra gets (nature), mountains get (mountains/nature) and the others get (nature/rivers).  Nature is a parent sphere for animals, and they can't have a parent and a child -- the distinction is because the others don't get plants (although oceans probably should get some subset of plants once it has them).  It should probably also check for rivers later rather than always giving it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:12 am »

Cool. Thanks, Toady!
Come play Mafia with us!