Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie questions and some found bugs  (Read 927 times)

Chabbrik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newbie questions and some found bugs
« on: August 12, 2006, 07:56:00 am »

Howdy everybody.

First thing first. This game ROCKS, though I suppose everybody on this forum knows this.

I had a few problems getting used to this game, but it seems I'm on right track.

I have a few questions though.

Firstly, is there difference between using rough rock and rock blocks, if the construction doesn't specifically require blocks?

I had a few times message "Copper/Tin/etc ore struck", but I could not find any tiles that contain the ore, what should I do to mine that ore?

Does miner's proficiency affect the chances for getting mineral out of the vein?

What is the use for encrusting jewels? Does it only increase value of that object? Should I bother about it in the early stages of game?

When should I start caring for cave-in and build support?

When will I start getting new colonists to the outpost?

BTW, I think I have encountered a few bugs:

1. When you 'v'iew the animal like cat or mule and press 'g' (general info) the game crashes (On my Win XP)

2. Pressing Escape after "Save successful" crashed the game as well.

P.S.
I hate madrills. They killed already 3 my colonies in the very beginning.

Premier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie questions and some found bugs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:02:00 am »

Re: Mandrills. Are you sure you have the latest version? It was put up yesterday, and AFAIK it has patched the "rampaging monkeys" bug. New colonists always come in the spring (I think). I'll let more knowledgeable individuals answer the rest of your questions.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:12:00 am »

To answer a few of your questions:

Firstly, is there difference between using rough rock and rock blocks, if the construction doesn't specifically require blocks?
I don't know for sure but I'd say there's no difference.

I had a few times message "Copper/Tin/etc ore struck", but I could not find any tiles that contain the ore, what should I do to mine that ore?
You should notice some '£' signs printed on some of the walls - this is ore which you can mine out. If you mean that there were no such tiles around when you got the message, it may be a bug - try mining out more of the appropriate area to see what you can find.

When should I start caring for cave-in and build support?
I think Toady mentioned in another thread that a 7x7 open area or above will be likely to suffer from cave-ins.

When will I start getting new colonists to the outpost?
Other will probably have a better answer but in my experience there is no fixed time - I had a batch of migrants late in the first year once, sometime either in late autumn or early winter.

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:00 am »

Concerning new colonists, you should always  get some during spring (starting from the 2nd). It's also scripted that a metalsmith will come (possibly with some other people) during the first summer. And while spring migration is a must, I guess you sometimes get some in later autumn, I just did. :S

Empirus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:14:00 am »

Re: Blocks vs. Rough Rock.  I'm relatively new to this game as well (I started yesterday), but if it helps I've noticed that rock blocks can be stored in bins while rough rock cannot. Or at least, my dwarves never puck rough rock in bins.  I should perhaps start another thread, but I thought it'd be appropriate to ask here: Can someone give me some general tips on how to successfully begin this game?  The manual does a decent job of explaining how, it's the "when" and "in what order" that stump me.  Specifically, what's the easiest way to feed your colony early on?  I had someone gathering seeds, but I guess that wasn't enough.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:17:00 am »

I'm sure that there will be playguides and a FAQ of some sort become available - right now we are all probably having too much fun trying to stop our dwarves from dying from hunger, thirst, insanity, melancholy, drowning, cave-ins, or assault by mandrills (or some cruel combination thereof)  :)
 Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:40:00 am »

The most important thing is: Make Easy Meals in the Kitchen. The cook will make a lot of bisquits from only 2 ingredients. Later on you can switch to Fine Meals which are even better, but require 3 ingredients.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 10:49:00 am »

Miner proficiency affects the chance of getting minerals.

Using rock blocks makes the structure stronger, but it's not very important right now.  It can make things last slightly longer against tantrums.  If an invader is attacking your buildings, you probably have larger things to worry about.

I can't reproduce the v/g crash.  Does it always happen?

Was this version ###.19a or a new one?  The ESC key is handled differently during "Save Successful" in the later ones.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 11:12:00 am »

quote:
A 'calm' or better starting site is really useful

What is better than calm ? Never found anything that would "sound" better.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:18:00 am »

"Serene" and "Peaceful" have the good creatures, but since unicorns can stab a dwarf in a punishing fashion, that might not be good.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »

quote:
The fish preparation above will leave rubbish behind like turtle bones and shells.

Will it actually leave remains ? My dwarf just processes stuff without anything left.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 12:57:00 pm »

Does the processing leave them or the eating?  I don't remember if prepared turtle still has the shell/bones.  Maybe the shell is left on as a garnish or a plate.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

As far as I know, it's actually the eating of the prepared turtles and cave fish that produces the shells and bones, not the preparation itself.  That's actually not such a bad point of logic, however: doesn't "preparing" a fish in real life entail removing the bones and making it into a steak, ready for sushi-type eating or cooking?  (I'm not an authority on turtle eating so I have no idea with regards to that...)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »

I guess if you incorporate the prepared fish into a meal in the kitchen, that meal no longer leaves bones or anything like that (and they even disappear).  Is that the case?  Maybe the kitchen gets rid of them, and the preparation is just...  poison gland and dirt removal or something.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »

quote:
doesn't "preparing" a fish in real life entail removing the bones and making it into a steak, ready for sushi-type eating or cooking?

Yes it does. well, there some dishes that dont, and there may be some small bones left, but for the most part big bones are removed. Its even more true for animals.
Pages: [1] 2