Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Dwarves stay inside", not just underground  (Read 1172 times)

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
"Dwarves stay inside", not just underground
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:02:05 am »

So I started a nice human aboveground fortress (thank you very much multi-tile wall/floor building!).

Problem being: in an ambush or a siege, my people have nowhere useful to go. My dining hall is underground (I've started building in a ditch to get around that problem), so they can lock themselves up in there, but the food stockpiles and bedrooms are all on constructed rooms on aboveground levels. I've got around that particular problem by carefully managing the ways outside (my fort is built around a three-tile pathway leading to the trade depot), bringing all the humans inside when enemies are around, locking all the doors, and then letting they go back outside while the military takes care of the matter. It works, but it's nowhere near practical.

So here's my suggestion: change the "Dwarves stay inside" order so it really means Inside, as opposed to Subterranean.

Fortresses with above-ground constructions (such as guard towers) would benefit a lot from that (your civilians could now re-stock your markswhatevers with bolts even if the stockpile isn't underground). Underground fortresses wouldn't see any difference, so, barring very specific design choices, this idea shouldn't interfere too much with most fortresses.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Dwarves stay inside", not just underground
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:55:24 am »

I think this would mean that tiles that have an overhang would also count as safe, but then that shouldn't be much of a problem either considering how rare (or rather nonexistant) overhangs are in DF.
Incidentally, wouldn't giving each house a basement or cellar where food and drink is stored be even more thematic? Imagining the civilians cowering in their basements just seems right, too.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:46:14 am »

Why not make Inside count as 'anything where it's under a roof YOU built, anywhere YOU've dug out, or anywhere YOU've laid down an area and marked it as 'inside'
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »

under roofs already counts as inside, it's just "bright" because it was once exposed to sunshine
The great game of Warlocks!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:45 pm »

under roofs already counts as inside, it's just "bright" because it was once exposed to sunshine

"Dwarves stay inside" does not mean inside.  It means "Dwarves stay in dark."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:00:41 pm »

This is a pretty common suggestion. For a long while, I had my Barracks in my main towers, so that my military wouldn't get cave adaptation. Only problem was that any soldiers who were injured while a siege was going on couldn't be taken care of, since the tower counted as 'outside'.

I'd LOVE to have that changed. It'd give me a lot more options for fortress design.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:48:30 pm »

And the best solution is to allow us to define "safe" areas (like traffic density one's)

And add safe area flag for Subterrain automatically.
he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:04 pm »

I'm disappointed, only two threads with this suggestion on the first page atm.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 04:30:25 pm »

3 if you count the top 10 list

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 04:51:51 pm »

I agree, but it would be better if we could designate safe zones. I'm having the same problem with my human ruin fort.