Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unintentionally bad ideas  (Read 2016 times)

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unintentionally bad ideas
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:28:00 am »

Let's face it, we're all guilty of at least one while playing. For example: my dwarves demanded that they had a well. Seeing as how I was lacking any buckets I immediately ordered the Forging a bucket and all I had was... lead. Time rolled around and it was time to build it the only materials available at time of construction were as follows:One LEAD Bucket, One Obsidian Block, one LEAD chain, and can't remember what mechanism I had used. I sighed to myself realizing what I had done, then figured, "Hey, they can't get any worse right?" Ever since then I've used Lead based materials for my Nobles. Now I just have to wait for Toady to implement lead-poisoning.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unintentionally bad ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:40:00 am »

Breaching the river on my outer perimeter.  A frozen moat is a big square-shaped welcome mat.

Compounding the problem was the proximity of the outer perimeter to the edge of the map -- you're not allowed to build close to the edge, so I couldn't wall off the river from the moat.  I had to live with my mistake for the entire lifetime of the fortress.

The purpose of the outer perimeter was actually to trap goblins in, not keep them out, but every goblin that escaped by walking across the ice was a goblin whose metal escaped the smelters.
Metal that comes to my domain is supposed to stay in my domain.  To have metal walk away across a frozen moat is humiliating.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rawl:
<STRONG>Let's face it, we're all guilty of at least one while playing. For example: my dwarves demanded that they had a well. Seeing as how I was lacking any buckets I immediately ordered the Forging a bucket and all I had was... lead. Time rolled around and it was time to build it the only materials available at time of construction were as follows:One LEAD Bucket, One Obsidian Block, one LEAD chain, and can't remember what mechanism I had used. I sighed to myself realizing what I had done, then figured, "Hey, they can't get any worse right?" Ever since then I've used Lead based materials for my Nobles. Now I just have to wait for Toady to implement lead-poisoning.</STRONG>

XD

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:08:00 am »

pfft lead. Does't work fast enough, it only leeches into the water if the water is acidic. Plus lead has some uses and is better spent in some areas like making pewter.

Cinnabar on the other had as mercury ore is far deadlier  :D. I make mugs out of it and give it to the elves   :D

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

Early on the in the 2d version I was trying to collapse some ice underground to make water on a glacier - seems like an OK idea right? Well, I didn't realize falling walls punch through floors. I managed to crush my mayor, 2 random dwarves sleeping in their rooms, and the injured champion I had been trying to make water for. Oops!

Another recent one, I was trying a low population fort for a change (and a speedup) so I just forbid some goblin garbage laying around outside to save on hauling. After a while I get messages about kobolds stealing it - GREAT! I think, automatic cleanup! After a few years I realize why it's a bad idea when 2 squads of trap immune kobolds ambush my dwarves in the heart of my fortress and manage to kill half of them and injure most of the rest before being driven off. (if you don't know, the more things kobolds steal the more thieves they send and after a while they start sending ambushers if they steal enough).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

Psh... I don't do stupid ideas...

Ohh wait... Yes I do...

There was this mountain all the way at the other side of the map and I had an enclosed fort (I built walls around it so I could harvest wood in safety).

Now normally Id ignore it but the animals disapeared for some mysterious reason and now only Camels come.

So I started building the bridge around 7 stories high or maybe higher and realised that I was WAY over 500 rows to get to the mountain. Though I am currently about 300 rows away.

Ohh I should probably also add... I tried to speed the building with bridges... but it turns out they don't count as stable ground so when I tried to build floor next to this bridge it fell and caused a explosion that pushed my Legendary Mason to the ground.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

quote:
Cinnabar on the other had as mercury ore is far deadlier . I make mugs out of it and give it to the elves

I think DF needs some more minerals.  :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

The last time when I had a big magma moat I made a funny thing. There was a 3-tile wide long bridge for caravans and a 1-tile width but long bridge over the magma pipe for woodcutters to chop the wood on the other side.

I have 2 dwarves in military xD. One is master marksman, another is legendary (It's 2nd year).
Then I notice a cave bear in the forest. I station my legendary dwarf on the bridge to shoot the bear down. I thought it'd be better because the bridge is 1-tile wide and the bear will have just 1 direction to come to marksdwarf.

Elite marksdwarf shoots his bolt at the bear, mangling its leg and ... falls asleep at the edge of the magma pipe. Bear happily comes, charges at the dwarf and he flies in the magma pipe...

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>The last time when I had a big magma moat I made a funny thing. There was a 3-tile wide long bridge for caravans and a 1-tile width but long bridge over the magma pipe for woodcutters to chop the wood on the other side.

I have 2 dwarves in military xD. One is master marksman, another is legendary (It's 2nd year).
Then I notice a cave bear in the forest. I station my legendary dwarf on the bridge to shoot the bear down. I thought it'd be better because the bridge is 1-tile wide and the bear will have just 1 direction to come to marksdwarf.

Elite marksdwarf shoots his bolt at the bear, mangling its leg and ... falls asleep at the edge of the magma pipe. Bear happily comes, charges at the dwarf and he flies in the magma pipe...

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]</STRONG>

That's why you order your military to sleep in the barracks   :p

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

I think one of the worst ideas I had was putting a megabeast in a wooden cage inside my zoo. All it took was one angry dwarf to knock it over and unleash chaos.

quote:
Originally posted by Gantolandon:
<STRONG>
I think DF needs some more minerals.   :D</STRONG>

DF does have pitchblende

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:50:00 am »

I once had a back entrance up on a hillside, which I decided to seal off via flooding.  This left a closed floodgate and a bunch of water between the surface and my fortress.

Did you know that bronze colossi don't need to breathe, and they can knock down floodgate?

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

A couple fortresses ago, I decided to move water from the source of a brook right outside to a very large indoor cistern. I was really pleased with the setup I had.

On the top Z-level, I had a well. I went ahead and built it even before the cistern had gotten any water in it, because hey, why not?

On the level right below the well, I had an access platform and a wide pit. Dwarves go here to fill up the well with their buckets. (I had designated every square of the pit as a separate pond, in order to let the dwarves do more than one "Fill Pond" job at a time.)

Eight or nine levels below the pit/pond level were the actual cistern level. I had mined out about a 7x7 space on each one (with supports to avoid collapses.) This was a huge cistern, and would hold a lot of water, but would take a long, long time to fill.

Anyway, I let my dwarven bucket brigade go to work, checking back on them every once in awhile to make sure it's still making progress. Before long, they had enough water in the bottom Z-level that the well no longer counted as "dry." Good!

Then I noticed that progress seemed to stop. After a little investigation, it turned out that the dwarves had stopped using the brook as a water source to fill the cistern, and had started using the well instead. They were using the well to pull up water from the cistern, then running down a flight of stairs and dumping water back in the same cistern.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

lmfao.  That's pretty epic.
Shoes...

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

I had been utterly pissed off at a fort of mine recently. They dwarves acted like complete dumbasses almost the entire time, and it was laggy and a mess. So I recruited everyone but a single miner, stationed them in front of the magma vent I built my fort next to, and ordered the miner to punch a hole through the wall.

There were no survivors...

...or so I thought.
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6283/hmmek0.jpg

To my horror, I realized that one Dwarf was still alive! Seems like she was injured in battle and brought to the bed to rest. It must have happened before I recruited everyone.

So even though I had just killed off my entire fort in cold blood, my heart utterly broke at this tragedy. Here was a poor dwarf, widowed, starving, thirsty, both legs broken and a bruised arm, and trapped in her little 2x2 room. The door kept the lava at bay, but in reality, it just kept her trapped like an animal. She threw many tantrums in her sleep, but could do nothing about it. Eventually she died of thirst.

Poor dwarf...

So 'avenge' her, I mad an adventurer and found a passage that lead to my great hall. It was surrounded by lava, but doors held it back. I smashed one of them down, and let the lava claim me and the remainder of my fort.

Who knew ASCII symbols could evoke such emotions.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

My stupid ideas mostly revolve around forgetting I can't build near the edge, and forgetting dwarves need to eat.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: [1] 2 3