Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brooks  (Read 806 times)

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brooks
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:44:14 pm »

I just discovered a few days ago about the properties of brooks in DF.  Walking on water has never been so easy!  It seems like a very strange design decision.  After all, the water under the surface of the brook still seems to be 7 deep, right? 

Thoughts?

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:52:52 pm »

I think that the idea was that brooks need to be very shallow; however, if Toady were to implement them as simply a surface phenomenon, there would need to be some "special" behavior for the water in the brooks.  Like, if the brook only existed on the ground level, how would you get water out of it? Would a pump placed next to it work? What if you mined out the z-level below it? Or how about if you channeled next to it?  As far as I can tell, Toady's implementation avoids those kinds of special behaviors, but instead requires the unintuitive 2 z-level setup.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:12:25 am »

If ya need explaination, think of that walkable floor as deposited sediment, large rockes, vegetation, or other junk, that makes it easily crossed. Designating that channelled away will clear this stuff, allowing your dwarves to finally fall in and drown as they sink to the bottom.

I'd like to know if a dwarf can fall in a dug out brook square, and be swept downstream under the rest of the brook, preventing them from getting out.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:04:39 am »

In real life I've been in streams that are only a foot or two deep in most places, save where the currents conspire to dig giant deep holes.  I figure brooks are like that, except without the holes until you dig one.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:45:37 am »

II'd like to know if a dwarf can fall in a dug out brook square, and be swept downstream under the rest of the brook, preventing them from getting out.

Nope; There's a brook "rock wall" on the z-level below the surface. I don't know if it's treated like an aquafer tile, or as a water permiable rock. If it was just like an aquafer, then you couldn't stop the flow by blocking the upstream flow or diverting it. Oh well, another thing to check out in-game. :D

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:54 pm »

I know in an old fortress of mine when I channeled out the entire brook from end to end, it's downstream area would sometimes be completly dry.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!