Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flying fortresses  (Read 2740 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Flying fortresses
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:15:19 am »

Don't know if this goes in dwarf discussion or here so feel free to move.

I modded in a flying race. Tested them and they seem to work ok. So now i have this idea to make a fort with them, images of cliffside biuldings and aerial entrances sprung to mind. Hell yeah! I thought, and whacked on [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. Then when I embark and tell them to do anything more than 4 tiles away, they fly there and cancel the job due to "dangerous terrain", i presume this is because they are in the air. So if anybody could help here it would be greatly appriciated

TL;DR. fort mode,flying race, cancel jobs when fly , halp plz

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Flying fortresses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:16:59 am »

To make a flying fortress, turn off cave-ins in the init and have fun.

Flying civs are bugged now for that reason. There's no fix apparently.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 11:18:16 am »

I've done this. Toady says there's no helping this for the moment, since he's currently making Dwarf Fortress. That said, he'll get to this eventually.
It's all to do with pathfinding.

Alternatively, try making the ground levels all High Traffic so they'll path through that.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:11:59 pm »

That sound so...awesome! :D
Does that mean no more support needed or just that the stuff will crash down without mayhem?
How about dwarves? zero g?

(I'm all wanting to create a floating ball of rock with pockets of magma and HFS now)
A good reason to DL the dwarf-editor or what-ya-callit.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »

That sound so...awesome! :D
Does that mean no more support needed or just that the stuff will crash down without mayhem?
How about dwarves? zero g?

(I'm all wanting to create a floating ball of rock with pockets of magma and HFS now)
A good reason to DL the dwarf-editor or what-ya-callit.

It means nothing needs support, hence you could make floating biuldings. I only called the thread "flying fortress" cos i have flying creatures in fortress mode. I dont want to make the actual fort "fly"

Also i consider turning caveins off cheating

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:15:50 pm »

It was a bit of a joke. And yes, that's the only way to get a "flying fortress" in any sense of the word at the moment.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:52:42 pm »

I've done this. Toady says there's no helping this for the moment, since he's currently making Dwarf Fortress. That said, he'll get to this eventually.
It's all to do with pathfinding.

I'd imagine that pathfinding would only be the start of it. Once you get them airborn, there'd have to be things like carry weight restrictions. After all, it wouldn't be fair if one of the critters could airlift an iron door up a cliff face while wielding a steel battle axe ('cause this one's a woodcutter.) Or troops kitted out in full steel armor and armed with mauls flying over the battlements (which have no gates and are carved from solid rock, of course) to engage the enemy. So Toady'd have to do quite a bit to get arial creature civilizations to even a basic level of sense, on top of just getting them flying right. Of course, it's not like that ever stopped him before. :)

Now, on the matter of free floating fortresses; I say it'll have to wait for an expansion of the alchemist's workshop abilities. This is 'cause I see such a structure being built outward from one or more cores of a gravity defying material made by an alchemist. It would require rare and precious ingrediants, but nothing that couldn't be brought by merchant caravan. Once the alchemist has cooked up this material, it would come out of the workshop in bar form, ready to be made into a "core" construction.

Since any building made of this material can be built without a floor, the core of a flying structure would be a wall or floor itself, to which the rest of the building would be attached. However, there would be limits to how much can be hung off of a construction made of such material, depending on the quality of it. It'd be a high value, to go with the high cost, otherwise you'd just use pillars. The "support value" would be transfered through the constructions, each one taking away a small bit, in a similar manner to the way power is distributed by axles in the game right now.

Oh well, it would be a great thing, but until Toady puts something like it in, we'll just have to be content with turning off cave-ins/collapses, or supporting such things with supports, which don't show up in 3Dwarf, I think. It'd still look cool.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:18:34 am »

Awesome idea, to have some kind of "anti gravity core" suspending your fort, however unlikely that is to happen, i suppose you could fill a room with magma, turn off cave-ins and pretend, it would be much the same :)

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:45:51 am »

Awesome idea, to have some kind of "anti gravity core" suspending your fort, however unlikely that is to happen, i suppose you could fill a room with magma, turn off cave-ins and pretend, it would be much the same :)

Of course, the core would only work if filled regularly with the blood of elves/goblins/kobolds (or if you feel really masochistic(sadistic too, sort of) you could throw all of your dwarves in their as soon as they immigrate/get legendary or whatever

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:52:53 pm »

I can see where this thread is going

"Oh hey toady, in the next version can we have anti gravity generators? Ok thanks!"

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:11:20 pm »

I can see where this thread is going

"Oh hey toady, in the next version can we have anti gravity generators? Ok thanks!"

And they can be powered by our perpetual motion waterwheel engines! ;D

Now that's a thought: an anti-gravity support that has to be powered by (a lot of) mechanical power. Covering the surface of the flying fort with windmills to keep it airborn seems like a neat idea. :)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 02:21:26 pm »

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 04:18:31 pm »

So i guess aquatic races aren't possible either?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 04:35:34 pm »

Catapult Turtle -> Bauxite Bridge
Dragon Champion -> Dwarf Champion
Monsters -> Dwarves

As far as I know, aquatic races aren't really possible yet either. They weren't a while ago when I tried to implement Deep Ones. I opted to have them settle near the ocean, which made sense in that context.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 04:56:37 am »

No aquatics arent in either. I put in mermen as a civ, and they refuse to do anything underwater, because of dangerous terrain, they woint even be stationed there
Pages: [1] 2