Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: REQ: Help with my mod (Orc vs Humans etc playable civ mod), just some questions  (Read 969 times)

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo

Hey my friends,

I've been wanting to get a mod working ever since i played MiddleEarth mod, which allows for multiple raced civilisations.

The objective of the mod, at this stage, is to get working Human, Orc & Dwarven civilisations all on the same map, and have each playable through the different 'civilisations'.

I need help (links to topics, or wiki, or what .txt files i will need to include etc), and thank you in advance, in the following areas;

* How to create a new creature called 'Orc' (and it's female and child equivelent) and make them friendly with alot of appropriate nasty friends like goblins, kobolds.

* How to designate the different 'civilisations' on the location choosing screen, to make Humans, Orcs & Dwarves.

* How to set starting equipment for each of these 'civs'

* How to set the tile symbol used for each 'civ' to make choosing between Orcs & Dwarves etc easier

* Or even better, if possible, how can i change the random names of civs that are generated, so instead of generating something each time, to set it to only use a single noun, such as "Orc"... To make it really easy to choose between them.

* Any thing i didn't think of in relation to adding new characters and civilisations.

It only has to be barebones, if i can get these 3 starting factions happening, and set a basic difference between them in what items they can take on deployment, then we'll add more factions and start adding more faction appropriate custom items etc.

Any help will be appreciated hugely, and credit will be given in the readme. :)
my fortress is full of kitties

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've looked through alot of other mods to try and learn from their structure - is the files in the raw/objects folder the only ones i can modify, besides graphics? if so -

if the above post was too big, i need help with raw/objects to do the following

*add creature named orc & ready it for use as a playable civilisation

*modify available civilisations (using dwarf clan choosing feature) to be human/dwarf/orc etc respectively

*change the random names that are generated so they can be distinguished, or change the map icons to be very different from one another

if noone can help me, can anyone point me in the right direction for documentation on how to go about doing the above things?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile

Heyya! I have been playing with an orc civ for several months now, I have graphics and everything. I can send you what I have when I get home (I'm at work right now). I don't want to release it publicly because I've borrowed a lot of creatures, items, and graphics and can't remember who they're from to credit the creators  :-\

My orcs are human sized, trade with goblins and duergar (evil dwarves) and get seiged by humans and elves. I haven't gone back to dwarves since I started messing with orcs... too much fun. Who wouldn't want to live in a fortress named Anusthunders?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:44:53 am by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thank you brother :D wicked. i got it working but my orcs are boring as hell, bring it on :D

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile

Theres no garuntee that the orc will side with the kobolds and goblins as of .39a, due to army arc. But if you have an older version that works fine.

My number 1 tip for a dabbling modder is copy paste. If you copy pasted goblins and changed the names, you would be half way there already. Youd need to create a new creature, (you could make a new file for creature but you dont have to, if you do remember to put "creature_new"  and [OBJECT:CREATURE] on the top, look at other files to get my meaning) Then copy the goblin text, and paste on the bottom of the file, leaving a space, then change the name, and the translations to [CREATURE:ORC] [orc:orcs:orcish], also change their symbol to "O" or something. Then beef up the SIZE tag, 7 is human, 8 if you want them to be bigger.

Now you need an entity file, go into entity_default and copy goblins and paste them on the bottom leaving a space, chang the creature to ORC, and your done! orcs will now act pretty similar to goblins in game and will be human sized. You can remove stuff like ITEM:WEAPON_KNIFE if you dont want them to have knives etc
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:41:07 pm by Hishan »

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile

Now you said you wanted them to have starting weapons? Weapons are EASY, example, say you want orc to have cleavers instead of swords? No problem. Go to items_weapons, and copy paste scimitar (or longsword or shotsword), onto the bottom, then change its name CLAEVER cleaver:cleavers.

Ok now go bavk to your entity file you made and add [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CLEAVER], to the orcs. Great! now your orcs will have cleavers in their civ, but no other civs can have them! you can delete [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT] if you want, so all swords orcs have cleavers.

If you want them controllable in fortress mode add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] in entity file
If you want them controllable in adventeur mode add [ADVENTURE_TIER:4] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:44:21 pm by Hishan »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile

Try the modding guide:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Modding_Guide

It explains how to make new races, civilizations, items, and so on. The only thing it doesn't explain is reactions because I've done no reaction modding and haven't bothered to figure out how it works.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile

Here's my Orc Fortress mod.

http://rapidshare.com/files/131456178/orcfortress.zip.html

Like I said, it borrows so much from just about any big mod you've seen on this board that I don't feel right calling it a release, but I've been having too much fun with it not to share. Let me know if you run into any problems with it.

::edit::

One thing I should mention, for worldgen I swap the variables for copper and bronze in matgloss_metals. This makes low tech [minor_metal] civs use bronze weapons and armor instead of copper (I just like it better that way). So for worldgen I set copper to [DAMAGE_PERC:75][BLOCK_PERC:75] and bronze to [DAMAGE_PERC:66][BLOCK_PERC:66] and then swap them for play.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:56:23 pm by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YIPEE! Thanks for the help guys - best game, best community.

That mod site was brilliant, if i hadn't been a fool i would of seen it on the wiki - it's very easy, expect a release of my mod at some point within the next few weeks.

Got playable humans happening - and playable orcs - and there remains playable dwarves. with my current tileset the icons for civs are different and obvious enough to know who you've chosen.

So far, other than conversations and the initial 'your dwarves bla bla embark forth!' message at the start, it is pretty much entirely immersive when you're playing the new civs.

Mate - if i put your name in the readme in the credits - would you object to me using your brilliant orc tiles? I'll consider using the metal mods, but i mostly would just like to use your graphics and compare your default item loadouts, as my orcs currently just use dwarven/human stuff.

Bless ye all, may your fortresses flourish - i'm off to create a human village, with a seperate mine, though :D

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile

You are more than welcome to use the orc graphics. You may want to mention they're (mostly) humans by Rick edited and added to by me.