Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mech Game! Forum game. Game Commencing Soonish.  (Read 5470 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Mech Game! Forum game. Game Commencing Soonish.
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:15:19 am »

Looking for 4 players. 2/4 atm. Final deadline for mech entry shall be Thursday the 24th of July 2508(2008).

After seeing so many RP games here, i decided to come with a fairly simple game. Mechs blowing each other up. Can you look over it please and give some constructive critism please. Warning! Warning! Wall of TEXT inbound. Take COVER!

Ok, here's the game.
Description- You are a pilot. A pilot of a mutherfuggin' massive mech. You have entered an arena to defend the honour of your clan. Defend it well, or die without honour.
Please fill this out.
Name of your pilot-
Name of your mech-
STR-
TOU-
AGI-
Body HP- (20 + (Tou x 5))
Cockpit HP- (2 + Tou)
Weapons:
Countermeasures:
Speed: (4+AGI)

How it works.
You have 3 stats. Strength, Toughness and Agility.
Strength; this will be your mechs ability to hurt the other players. This includes the weapon numbers and strength.
Toughness; this will be the mechs ability not to die as fast as the others. This includes HP and all accessories, like ECM's (Electronic countermeasures) etc.
Agility; this will be the pilots ability not to be hit by the other players. This includes both speed and dodging.

A deeper explanation of STRENGTH. Every level you take will allow you one extra weapon, be it melee or ranged or an increase in power. (See example below). You can have as little or as many weapons (1 being minimum and the str level being maximum) as you want. Say you had lvl 4 strength you could have 4 power rating (PR) 1 weapons. Or 1 PR 4 weapon. The damage increments go as follows.

Ranged.
PR 1- 1D6. (R)
PR 2 -2D4. (R)
PR 3 -2D6. (R)
PR 4 -2D6+1D4. (R)
PR 5 -2D6+2D4. (R)
Melee.
PR 1- 2D6.
PR 2 -4D4.
PR 3 -4D6.
PR 4 -4D6+2D4
PR 5 -4D6+4D4.

Differences between ranged and melee.

Ranged: lets you shoot from afar. There are many different types of weapons. Each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
Lasers (Range: Line of Sight. Damage: -1D2 per shot. Advantages: Opponents get a 5% dodge reduction. Disadvantages: Takes a full turn to reload.).
Autocannons (Range: 4 Hex's Damage: Normal. Disadvantages: None.)
Missiles (Range: Line of Sight. Damage: +1d6 per shot. Disadvantages: opponent gets 35% dodge bonus.)
Cannons (Range: 7 Hex's. Damage +2d6 per shot. Disadvantages: 2 turns to reload, opponent gets 5% dodge bonus.)
Sniper gun (Range: Line of sight. Damage: Normal. 15% increased chance of getting a head-shot. Disadvantages. Minimum range of 2 Hex's)

Melee: Close quaters attacking. You have to be BESIDE the opponent. Your weapon can be used once per turn. PR is doubled per level for melee weapons. The chance of causing a headshot is increased by 10%. While attacking in CQB (Close quarter combat) all defence mechanisms are disabled, including extra HP. If defending in CQB, only Shields and Combat shields are active. Every mech is equipped with a small basic weapon, which does a 1D4 damage.

Level 5 STRENGTH - Alpha strike, allows you to fire ALL weapons in one turn with no next turn consequences. Can only be used once per game. Ranged weapon powers can be used in close combat. Melee weapon powers can't be used in ranged alpha strikes.

A deeper explanation of TOUGHNESS. You have a base HP of 20. Every level you take in TOU will increase your HP by 5. (See example below). And every TWO levels you take will allow you one extra special bonus defences mechanism. It can be one any listed here:
Force field - (Adds ((TOU/2)*5) Rounded down HP.)
Energy cloak - (Ranged weapons cannot lock onto your mech for the next turn. Weapons do 1/4 damage when used. And gives the opponents an extra 30% to dodge. Once used it has a two turn cool down.).
Shield - (2 damage reduction to melee damage attacks).
Combat shield - (+33% chance of dodging the melee attack.)
You get countermeasures at level 1, 3 and 5.

Toughness in relation to dodging. (-3% per level, -6% at lvl 5)
The bigger your mech, the easier it's going to be hit right? Well, for every toughness level you take you get a -3% bonus to dodging. And at the final Level 5 you lose 6% to the dodge bonus.

Level 5 TOUGHNESS gives you a reinforced battle steel cockpit. Will allow you to survive one head-shot (Instant kills) per game. Any more and you shall die.

Health- Your mech has two sets of health stats. Body health and cockpit health. Your body health will be calculated as 20(Base HP) + (TOU x 5)HP. You cockpit health meanwhile has a base of 2 + TOU. If your cockpit is attacked (a random percentile will determine if it is the cockpit thats attacked) and destroyed, your mech dies along with the pilot.

Once your mech reaches 50% of your original starting HP your mech will start to lose some movement ability (-1 movement )
Once your mech reaches 35% of your original starting HP your mech will start to lose more movement ability, lose countermeasure effectiveness and some weapon damage. (-2 movement and -10% damage, Countermeasures are at 50% effectiveness.)
Once it hits 20% of original HP there will be a significant loss of movement along with weapon damage and the loss of countermeasure components. (-4 movement and -25% damage All countermeasures inactive)
If it hits 10% (Your kinda screwed here) you lose all movement ability and weapon damage is reduced significantly. (No movement, -60% weapon damage.)
If it reaches 0% HP, I will roll to see if your mech explodes or just powers down. Hopefully not the former :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A deeper explanation of AGILITY. Every level you take in AGI will increase your base speed and the chance of you being able to dodge enemy attacks.
Speed has a base of 4 hex's per turn. Every level increases the mechs movement by 1 hex's per turn.
Dodging is the ability to avoid incoming ranged and melee attacks. Your mech has a 20% base chance of dodging attacks. Every level increase gives you higher chance to dodge an enemies attack by an extra 5%.

Movement- Every turn you can move up to your maximum movement (4+AGI level). A turn in any direction costs one movement point, for example (See below), you start at 0101, facing towards 0201. You then turn to 01-02, that costs 1 movement point. A move in a said direction also costs a movement point.

Level 5 AGILITY allows the use of speed boosters (2 extra movement and a 10% dodge increase for that turn. Can only be used 2 times per game).

You have 7 points to spend between the 3 attributes. 5 being the maximum and costing two points to go from level 4 to 5. You all start with one in each.

THE TURN. You state what you do with each. (Example below)
Movement: You can move during this phase. This effects this turn.
Attack: You can attack during this phase. This effects this turn. I (Nilocy) roll up the attacks and defences and give the result.
Defense: You can use a countermeasure or dodge during this phase. This effects the next turn.

Ok, heres an example. Pilot A. tells his mech to move 4 hexs from 0513 to 0712. This cost 3 movement points as he was facing that direction in the first place. This pilot can now see Mech B who is at 0410. He turns to face him costing two movement points. He decides to shoot him and does x amount of damage. And decides to activate his energy cloak.
Heres another thing if forgot, I'm going to have to underline this whole bit for clarification about it. The turn process is similtanious. Meaning everything happens at the same time. So you don't need to worry about aiming at someone where you think they'll be going.

Combat mechanics.
Combat in this game is decided randomly based on a dice roll and modified by your attributes.
In this game, weapons always hit if you shoot at the opponent. (Unless they have an energy cloak of course.)
Attack - The damage done to an opponent mech is calculated by weapon power of your gun and their defensive abillities (Countermeasures and Dodge)

An example without countermeasures.

Ranged:
Mech A. has a lvl 1 autocannon. Mech B. has 30HP (2 Toughness and 3 Agility). Mech A declares that he shoots Mech B. Mech B gets no modfiers to dodging or soaking any of the damage (As autocannons have no disadvantages or give the opponents any dodge bonuses). Mech B then rolls his dodge bonus which is calculated by adding the base dodge, 20% + 3x5% = 35% dodge. But then we have to take off his toughness level. 35% - 2x3% = 29%. I(Nilocy/GM) then roll for dodging, and if the D100 lands on or within 1-29 you dodge the attack. Causing no damage to Mech B.
Alternatively if the attack does hit. I then roll for the chance that it hits the head, a small chance but still there, 5% to hit the head (with the sniper gun its 20%). If the head gets hit and destroyed, well your dead. Simple as. If it doesn't the the attack damage moves onto body. And the corrisponding HP is taken off.
If countermeasures are used in ranged combat, such as the energy cloak, you just add the corrisponding modifiers before damage is done. (1/4 damage to weapons next round, but you cant get hit by any ranged weapons next round.)

Melee: Is slightly different. When you elect a target for a melee attack you have to be within one hex of the target. I shall use an example to demostrate. Mech A. has a lightening whip (Just a name, doesn't really mean much ingame), at PR 1. Mech B. has a combat shield, Level 5 Toughness and 2 Agility and 45HP. His dodge is (20% + 10%) - (5x3% (+3% extra as its level 5.) = 18%) = 12% dodge. But because he has a combat shield he has an extra 33% to dodge melee attacks. Bringing it to a grand total of 45% dodge.
If the attack does hit, Melee weapons do damage as normal but also get a 10% increase to head-shots.
The same rules apply to dodging here, but in retaliation the defending mech (Mech B.) gets a reaction attack with his basic weapon. The same rules then apply to Mech A. whose just attacked, going through the dodging phase.

Hope this makes it clear how the attacking system works. If this mechanic doesn't work then I'll modify it sometime.

An example-
Name of your pilot- Nilocy (Doesn't have to be your forum name can be anything)
Name of your mech- Advent (Doesn't have to be your forum name can be anything)
Str- 3 (Base 1 +1+1 = 2points spent)
Tou- 4 (Base 1 +1+1+1 = 3points spent)
Agi- 3 (Base 1 +1+1 = 2points spent)
In total 7 points spent
Body HP = 20 + (4x5) = 40HP
Cockpit HP = (2 + Tou) = 6HP
Weapons: 2. Energy sword (Melee) PR 1, Auto cannon (Auto cannon) PR 2
Countermeasures: Force field and combat shield.

Ok, so my Advent is fairly strong, has alot of toughness and is fairly fast.
Now, you can choose to put the points anywhere ok? It doesn't matter, well it will when it comes to killing.

Heres the map.

Black lines are Walls, you can't move or shoot through them, you can how ever shoot at them and try to blow the to bits to make yourself a path. Blue X's are the starting points of the mechs. Yellow Lines are the arena entrances (I'm leaving their destructability up to you.)

Mech and their pilots so far.

Aqizzar.

Shad0wDump

rickvoid

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:52:10 pm by Nilocy »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help from the crazy RP forum people plz.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:46:56 am »

Four big questions -

1) Is base HP 10 or 20?  You wrote both in the different places.

2) I guess your example answers it, but is the base 1 point of toughness included in whether you get another special defense?  I.E. you get a mechanism at 2 and 4, or 3 and 5?

3) Will you make a map, or expect the players to figure out spacial relationships with those chess-like directions?  I would suggest a map, preferably with obstacles and such, since this also gives "Like of Sight" more meaning and lets us hide behind stuff.

4) How is damage calculated?

Oh, sign me up.  Giant robot battling action for the win!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:08:49 am »

1) Is base HP 10 or 20?  You wrote both in the different places.

Base is twenty, sorry about that.

2) I guess your example answers it, but is the base 1 point of toughness included in whether you get another special defense?  I.E. you get a mechanism at 2 and 4, or 3 and 5?

I should make it clearer, but you get one at lvl 1, 3 and 5.

3) Will you make a map, or expect the players to figure out spacial relationships with those chess-like directions?  I would suggest a map, preferably with obstacles and such, since this also gives "Like of Sight" more meaning and lets us hide behind stuff.

I got a map already, hex based. Got some obsticals.

4) How is damage calculated?

I still havn't figured this out. Thats the main problem this game has. No damage calculations as of yet :P

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:35 am »

You've thought it all out well, but I recommend you use action points.
As of now, even the fastest of mechs can only shoot once a turn, as I've read. That is a serious disadvantage to invest in AGI, since moving around hexes faster doesn't seem to be a very big advantage to me.
Also, I suggest you let the players choose between something like 3 or so "plugins". Just to make the mechs somewhat different of eachother.
Naturally, you can only choose one.
Something like "add weapon range +1" or "reduce weapon damage by x".

Just my two electrum coins.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:20:28 am »

Hmm, that might be a good idea acctually. Ill fit it in to the next time i edit. I changed the Agility around to allow it to increase the ability to dodge enemy attacks, which i've edited above. I've added a very very simple combat mechanic aswell.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 10:19:49 am »

I've considered starting a forum game where the forum members take the role of a council guiding a group of people across a desert... I'm still thinking it through though.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 10:22:22 am »

I've started something unstoppable with my games, haven't I?
The wave will come, oh yes, and the wave of sheer games will crush us.
Like a drawbridge.

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:01:14 am »

lol, yeah sort of. I was inspired by the many games here to start my own. But how does my system look? Does combat work in the eye of you?

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 11:24:36 am »

I think it'll work. Have you tested it out with a prototype yet?
Its hard to tell if everything is somewhat balanced on forehand, as is with all combat systems.

This game is approved by the = Forum Game Council =.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:53:39 am »

Woo! I feel honoured. Or not.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 06:40:56 pm »

Well, that's all good then.  I'd recommend some more differentiation between weapons.  The missile launcher for instance - give your target a 35% dodge bonus just for +1 damage next to all those dice?  Ditto for the cannon - two turn cool down just for +2 damage?  Or are those modifiers per dice?

My suggestions (Not Perfect) -
Laser - Range:LoS  Damage:-2 per die  Target's Dodge Reduction -15%  1 Turn to Reload
Autocannon - Range: 4 Hexes  Damage: Normal  Target's Dodge Bonus -5%
Missiles - Range: 7 Hexes  Damage: +1 per die  Target's Dodge Bonus +25%
Cannon - Range: 7 Hexes  Damage: +3 per die  Target's Dodge Bonus +5%
2 Turns to Reload
Sniper - Range: LoS  Damage: -1 per die  Headshot Chance 15%  Minimum Range 2 Hexes

Melee combat seems easily avoided.  The rule could be that all ranged weapons have a minimum range of 1 hex, thus giving an incentive to take at least a back-up melee weapon for close combat.  Another rule would be that if a player already next to an opponent tries to move away from them, the opponent gets a free melee attack, to discourage running.  And the energy cloak has no effect in close combat right?

At what point in the turn do movement and shooting take place?  Movement then Shooting is the time-tested system, since it means shooting at an opponent requires you to leave yourself in the open.  Anything else would let you shoot a target and then scoot behind cover, turning any fight into a cheese contest.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »

Dag-nabit-dammit

Asheron,after resigning from you city warfare game,this is likely to make me sound like a hypocrite,but I cannot resist a mech based game.

Pilot-super dork ::)
Mech-Stratos
Str- 2
Tou- 2
Agi- 5
30 body HP and 4 head correct?
weapons 1-'plinker'(sniper) PR2
countermeasure-combat shield
All  7 spent.

Oh and I insist the map be made a wee bit bigger,with this guy I can make it top to bottom in one go with boosters,on top of that I think the walls should hug the boundaries of the hexes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:29:14 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 07:32:42 am »

Aye, well ill see how it plays out. Maybe ill increase the damage modifiers, i did those before i came up with the health and combat system. And yeah, the 35% bonus to dodging effects all attacks... cause missiles are fairly easy to see.

Yeah, ill be looking for about 4 players to begin with if you don't mind. The final day for entry will be this Thursday ok? Just so i can get started. Ill post if i've changed any of the mech weapons and stuff around.

[Edit] I think i will make my map just a wee bitty bigger. And i just have.
[Second Edit] Oh, just came up with a solution to fix all of the problems with the theory that melee won't be used. Basically, the turns are sent to me (Email or PM me). You tell me in this email/pm what your mech does, ill have map showing where everyone is at the end of the turn. And then ill write up the day after the last one comes in. And then the next turn commences in the same way.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:03:47 am by Nilocy »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

I'll make good on my signup now then.  Something tells me this'll take a few matches to hammer out.  Glad to do it.

Pilot - Aqizzar al-Azrad
Mech - Hakar's Cannon
STR - 5 (5 points)
TOU - 1 (0 points)
AGI - 3 (2 points)
HP - 25  Cockpit HP - 3
Weapons - 2  Cannon PR4; Missiles PR1
Countermeasure - Energy Cloak (Needs Rules Clarification)

I'm gonna crash and burn, but before I do, somebody is going to hurt.

By the way, you've got two different maths for movement speed up there.  I went with the latter.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:13:08 pm by Aqizzar »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Ok, so we have 2 out of the 4 players needed so far. Any more takers? I edited the turn thing, read it and be amazed at how it should work out. i hope :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4