Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Standardized Menus  (Read 1772 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Standardized Menus
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:23 pm »

because it was never built to display more than X characters by X characters :P that would take a rewrite of a major sort most likely..

Well, I mean why wasn't it written like that in the first place?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »

because it wasnt? and it wasnt needed? :P sure it might be nice to have multiple resolutions.. but.. it was never necessary I dont think..
The New Moo!

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 07:10:40 pm »

There's really only two schemes: full screen menu, and side menu. Full screen menu allows navigation by arrow keys and number pad ("number pad nav"). Side menu allows navigation using +-*/ while still allowing the arrow keys and number pad to be used for map navigation.

There are a few exceptions (liaison menus), but it really isn't complicated at all. Number pad nav is more comfortable and capable, but unusable when map movement is required, thus the +-*/ navigation. However, +-*/ nav doesn't allow lateral movement between menus, thus number pad nav.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 07:11:30 pm »

This isn't really on topic, but it just suddenly occurred to me and I didn't want to make a new thread.

Why does DF only use about half of the total screen area? It's nice for windowed mode; you can have other stuff going on, like the wiki or a music player. But in fullscreen, we have to paste two nice big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen just to get the tileset to look right. Why doesn't the game take advantage of this, expanding the field of view? I'd rather like to be able to see more stuff at once. It's kinda hard to keep anything onscreen, specially when you're using the menu and the map.

See? More proof that windowed mode is way better.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 07:24:05 pm »

This isn't really on topic, but it just suddenly occurred to me and I didn't want to make a new thread.

Why does DF only use about half of the total screen area? It's nice for windowed mode; you can have other stuff going on, like the wiki or a music player. But in fullscreen, we have to paste two nice big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen just to get the tileset to look right. Why doesn't the game take advantage of this, expanding the field of view? I'd rather like to be able to see more stuff at once. It's kinda hard to keep anything onscreen, specially when you're using the menu and the map.

But I have two screens to handle extra stuff. I wanna have DF fill my main screen!
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:25 pm »

But I have two screens to handle extra stuff. I wanna have DF fill my main screen!

Oh, yeah. I forgot about your second screen.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 08:11:39 pm »

Why?  Legacy code.  Why still?  Takes a long time to undo legacy code.  When will it be fixed?  Presentation arc.  When did Toady declare presentation arc to be next?  IRC and IRL, but also said that he won't be tying himself to arcs (other than that his "release schedule" will still have the features mentioned).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 11:28:33 pm »

When did Toady declare presentation arc to be next?  IRC and IRL

Really?  You meet him over lunch?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 04:47:29 am »

I don't have a list of what I've said these many months, but I think I said that I would be focusing on [the presentation arc] next if I was hurting for donations, and I also said during the Bay 12 get-together in April that I might be doing parts of it (like expandable views and tile support for items/terrain) as a sort of humanitarian action even if the donations are fine.  Although I'm still treading water more or less on donations, I'm not yet hurting, meaning that I haven't liquidated the meager funds I saved while working the math job.  The current idea is to work in some of the things that need to be done as I'm working on other things, at an unspecified ratio.  This makes it a very vague current idea, but that's what I'm working with.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 06:13:50 am »

I would be happy if the view-screen was 60 tiles high instead of 25. If DF used the standard aspect ratio, most people wouldn't complain about the lack of a resizable viewport.
A quick query, why is the viewport 80x25, anyway?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 06:16:14 am »

A quick query, why is the viewport 80x25, anyway?

The game used PDCurses for a couple years and was actually writing out to a terminal window.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 06:49:12 am »

Thank you, tis nice to know.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 12:16:39 pm »

I don't have a list of what I've said these many months, but I think I said that I would be focusing on [the presentation arc] next if I was hurting for donations, and I also said during the Bay 12 get-together in April that I might be doing parts of it (like expandable views and tile support for items/terrain) as a sort of humanitarian action even if the donations are fine.  Although I'm still treading water more or less on donations, I'm not yet hurting, meaning that I haven't liquidated the meager funds I saved while working the math job.  The current idea is to work in some of the things that need to be done as I'm working on other things, at an unspecified ratio.  This makes it a very vague current idea, but that's what I'm working with.

Thanks Toady.  I vaguely remember the quote now.  Still what you'll be doing I don't think is what people are wanting and getting the "He's going to work on it next" response.
Pages: 1 [2]