Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133864 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1170 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:53 am »

But a zombie can be pretty much anything that has come back from the dead, anything that doesn't think much, anything that attacks people, anything that forms a horde, or anything that is difficult to kill

None of those fit the Vampires from I Am Ledgend; they were smart enough to communicate, use basic traps and raise dogs, they used tactics in groups, they were fast and strong, capable of emotions, the sun burned their skin, they were drawn to and drank blood and they weren't actually all -that- hard to kill.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 14, 2009, 06:14:57 am »

But a zombie can be pretty much anything that has come back from the dead, anything that doesn't think much, anything that attacks people, anything that forms a horde, or anything that is difficult to kill

None of those fit the Vampires from I Am Ledgend; they were smart enough to communicate, use basic traps and raise dogs, they used tactics in groups, they were fast and strong, capable of emotions, the sun burned their skin, they were drawn to and drank blood and they weren't actually all -that- hard to kill.

Why do we assume they are zombies? Because they don't quite fit the traditional vampire definition? I suppose that is one we could go back and forth with, but they are very much a hybrid of the two ideas.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 14, 2009, 06:26:31 am »

Why do we assume they are zombies? Because they don't quite fit the traditional vampire definition? I suppose that is one we could go back and forth with, but they are very much a hybrid of the two ideas.

I actually have no idea why people seem to think they're Zombies. The Book clearly calls them out as Vampires, and even the movie makes the vampiric traits reasonably clear (nonsensical ending aside.)

Hell, the Twilight Vampires aren't really all that 'vampirey' (they sparkle in sunlight ffs), but they're still ovbiously Vampires, if only because they're deliberately called out as Vampires.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:28:42 am by Neruz »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 14, 2009, 06:46:16 am »

I'll be wearing combat boots, black cargo pants, an old BDU jacket, and combat gloves. Maybe a baklava as well. The number of guns I'll have might be somewhat funny, but I don't have much here at home.

Yea, bit late with this, but it's rather too nice to pass up.

Balaklava:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baklava:
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: December 14, 2009, 07:23:43 am »

A vampire should always be scare of the sun
Dracula in the namesake novel wasn't. He could walk about in the sun without problem. He was significatively less powerful, though.

I'll be wearing combat boots, black cargo pants, an old BDU jacket, and combat gloves. Maybe a baklava as well. The number of guns I'll have might be somewhat funny, but I don't have much here at home.

Yea, bit late with this, but it's rather too nice to pass up.

Balaklava:

Baklava:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:33:04 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 14, 2009, 08:05:16 am »

Chairman; i actually used that exact set of instructions to dress up like a ninja, sneak out the front door of the house while my brother and sister were watching TV in the family room at the back of the house, creep up the driveway in the dark, get my sister to wander over to the window to see what was going on by kicking a bucket around and then leaping out from behind the wall, causing her to literally jump 3 feet up and back and fall over with a look on her face that i will never, ever forget.

TL:DR; Instructions are awesome.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 14, 2009, 05:10:25 pm »

Everyone! We're starting our senior survivor project for JROTC. Guess who is going to be printing out all the open source survival manuals he can find with school paper.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 21, 2009, 06:41:45 am »

crowbar all the way, its heavy enough to smash skulls, light enough to carry around with you and can be used for other tasks such as breaking into houses etc.
As to what to do when it begins, fill all availiable containers with water (in case the supply is cut off), and cut down the stairs to the first floor of your house.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 21, 2009, 03:11:56 pm »

Crowbar is too small and too awkward, you willget splattered, you will get bitten, and you will get stuck. Lead pipe would be better than crowbar...

Not that a crowbar wouldn't be useful...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:44 pm »

It really all depends on how strong you are and what type of fighter you are, I myself pump weights,  can lift 150 pounds no problem, and moonlight as a construction worker for extra cash, so I'd go with a sledg hammer myself, good for knocking down doors, packs a punch and iff it doesn't kill it's sure as hell gonna maim badly, plus it wouldn't stick in like a crowbar might.  On other other hand, if you were small, weakish but quick I'd go for a crowbar cause you could always run away, pop open a door and bolt.
Nom nom nom

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 21, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »

It really all depends on how strong you are and what type of fighter you are, I myself pump weights,  can lift 150 pounds no problem, and moonlight as a construction worker for extra cash, so I'd go with a sledg hammer myself, good for knocking down doors, packs a punch and iff it doesn't kill it's sure as hell gonna maim badly, plus it wouldn't stick in like a crowbar might.  On other other hand, if you were small, weakish but quick I'd go for a crowbar cause you could always run away, pop open a door and bolt.

Doesn't matter how strong you are; you'll get tired long before they do.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 21, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »

I just meant the difference in usage, I'd still leave, I just wouldn't use the same level of hit and run tactics, more like defending an area, or in case of ambush while getting food/supplies.  Also yet again depends on the type of zombie.
Nom nom nom

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 21, 2009, 04:11:18 pm »

Doesn't matter how strong you are; you'll get tired long before they do.
Well, again, it all depends what types of zombies we're talking about. If they're essentially dumb humans with rabies or whatnot, a sledgehammer would fend them off pretty well, I think. Until they all starve to death.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 21, 2009, 05:09:02 pm »

Crowbar is too small and too awkward, you willget splattered, you will get bitten, and you will get stuck. Lead pipe would be better than crowbar...

Not that a crowbar wouldn't be useful...

That depend son what you plan to do, myself I don't intent to get into massive pitched battles with zombies if I can avoid it, thats suicide unless your in a tank, no I was thinking of those lone ones you'll run into when scavanging for food etc, I'm not sure about your plans but rather than fighting to reclaim the world I will just disappear to somewhere remote and easy to defend.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 21, 2009, 06:26:32 pm »

That depend son what you plan to do, myself I don't intent to get into massive pitched battles with zombies if I can avoid it, thats suicide unless your in a tank
Or if you're Gordon Freeman.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 101