Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133900 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1140 on: December 13, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »

Um.

I haven't read the 76 pages of discussion here, admittedly.

But how do zombies eat?
There's the 1/10 rule for predator energy, plus zombies only eat brains, which makes zombies even less sustainable. So at most you can have like 1% of the population be zombies, otherwise they'll start starving to death. Also, their organs are pretty crazy. How do they function without all their vital organs?

However! Maybe we can interpret zombieness as some sort of rabies? Also, it decentralizes all the organs, so that even if you get shot in the head, only a few percent of your brain will have died (the rest is spread out throughout your body). This also explains why zombies are so stupid and slow; how can you expect them to walk around when 20% of their liver, kidneys, etc. are failing?

As to energy, I dunno, the virus has developed a 99% efficient fusion reaction that uses a protein only found in human brains.

Anyway in this case you can't really target essential organs (this is how zombies are usually depicted, yes?).  Bullets are not as good here, since they are excellent at piercing vital organs but don't actually destroy the entire body. I would suggest some sort of blunt/slash weapon and aiming to cleave the torso in twain.

That's my analysis that I just made up, feel free to ignore it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 13, 2009, 06:34:26 pm »

Magic zombies run on magic, and just eat because that is what they do.

Radiation zombies usually treat radiation as magic, in that it does whatever the author wants it to.

Viral zombies mostly operate on their reserves, they die from lack of sleep pretty quickly.

Many recent zombies are specifically vulnerable to being shot in the head, but some need to be hacked up until they don't have enough working joints to be a threat, still others have some sort of vital energy they need to be separated from, maybe you need to drain enough of their embalming fluid or something...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 13, 2009, 06:38:14 pm »

So we assume that the universe is non-deterministic.
Hey, that's cool too.

I'd say just wall yourself in with a farm or something, in that case.
I mean with a farm inside the wall. Not using a farm to wall yourself in. Presumably you'd have stone or concrete for that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:49:27 pm by Cheddarius »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:35 pm »

You could always build it from Octrine, the metal of condensed magic, that way nothing can get through and the magical radiation will have some neat effects n the plants and building there.
Nom nom nom

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 13, 2009, 07:28:24 pm »

I was thinking that if you can get to some oceanic cliffs (the type for jumping), then you're pretty much safe, provided you have certain tools. Use some climbing gear and a small pick or a hammer and chisel to climb up on the underside of an overhang. Dig your way in til you can comfortably lay down and sleep. Dig out space and ventilation for a fire inside your little cubby hole. Set some fishing lines into the rock and dangle em into the ocean. Chillax all day.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 13, 2009, 07:32:53 pm »

You could always build it from Octrine, the metal of condensed magic, that way nothing can get through and the magical radiation will have some neat effects n the plants and building there.

SAPIENT PEARWOOD FORTRESS FTW
Friggin' follow you around anywhere. You could just run away from the zombies while in your fortress.

Also, that's excellent and a lot easier than a massive zombie bunker, sonerohi, provided the fish aren't zombies either.
Wait, does zombie flesh corrupt or can you just eat it?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »

If a zombie runs off of magic, and encounters a wall composed of magic, won't it just eat the wall and become virtually unstoppable?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 13, 2009, 07:43:16 pm »

Also, that's excellent and a lot easier than a massive zombie bunker, sonerohi, provided the fish aren't zombies either.
Wait, does zombie flesh corrupt or can you just eat it?

First: I think zombie flesh is poisonous. Not to mention the whole dead-and-rotting thing that would make it just as deadly to eat.

Second: where would you get your water in this fishing paradise, and your vitamins? Even if you had a natural spring and all kinds of fish, you'd suffer horrible diseases from vitamin deficiency living only on fish you can catch with a line. I also assume you'd be eating this fish raw, which has its own problems. And how about storms? I suppose the assumption is you'll have some form of protection, keeping in mind the fact that it is a sea cliff means that the water constantly erodes that area during storms, so there's no such thing as a sea cliff high enough to be out of reach of the waves.

It sounds like a great refuge, but you'll need to leave at least weekly for some of your basic survival necessities.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 13, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »

Could we not construct a self-sufficient "domed-city" type fortress? I mean, theoretically, the Earth clearly has enough for us to live, so we could just build another Earth. And practically, I think that with modern technology we could make a much smaller self-sufficient fortress. We could have some sort of water-recycling thing, possibly desalinization from pipes from nearby sea. Also farming (a vegetarian diet) and maybe large solar arrays. Expensive, yes, but with adequate walls and protection, maybe worth it.
Then again, how would you protect the top? A ceiling would block out light. Maybe some sort of external solar array supported by a column so zombies will find it hard to climb... any other solutions?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 13, 2009, 08:13:51 pm »

Could we not construct a self-sufficient "domed-city" type fortress? I mean, theoretically, the Earth clearly has enough for us to live, so we could just build another Earth. And practically, I think that with modern technology we could make a much smaller self-sufficient fortress. We could have some sort of water-recycling thing, possibly desalinization from pipes from nearby sea. Also farming (a vegetarian diet) and maybe large solar arrays. Expensive, yes, but with adequate walls and protection, maybe worth it.
Then again, how would you protect the top? A ceiling would block out light. Maybe some sort of external solar array supported by a column so zombies will find it hard to climb... any other solutions?

Theoretically? no.

Practically? no.

Even the Earth isn't self-sufficient, and is slowly grinding down even with the constant influx of solar energy. We could however construct an environment that only needed small input over time, and still drew its energy from the sun. It would have to not require maintenance for long periods of time (very durable materials). However if a zombie appeared inside, we'd have just what you said: a miniature of the outside, a closed environment with undead menace and no means of escape (we can't really leave the Earth, but at least there's a lot farther to run!)
The sigs topic:

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 13, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »

We use the zombies as a means to stave off entropy. All scientists, report in on how to do so.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 13, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »

Well, I mean, we're talking about temporary protection from the zombies, not the fight against entropy.
I think a small bunker with desalinization, farms, and a solar array could be pretty decent, if not lasting for millenia, eh?

Wait, Sone posted.
Okay zombies have infinite power. We go from that.

Zombie treadmills? Pickled brains at one end, up-sloping treadmill leading to it (very large, I'd say 30m square) that powers a generator. Grate at the bottom and sides, probably, for those who tire or try to escape.

Someone's gotta mod zombies into DF and build it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 13, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »

DF has zombies, what we really need to mod in is all the other stuff

-craving for brains, manual power, etc.
The sigs topic:

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:50 pm »

you could always go WWII Nazi on the zombies and burn the corpses for fuel... though the amount of smoke and the smell of burnt raw bacon might attract a lot of zombies.. then again MORE FUEL!!!  And it isn't morally wrong to burn zombies... is it?  Would they scream as they burn?
Nom nom nom

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:10 pm »

How you prepare specifically depends on the type of zombie.

Low threat: Slow zombies, ala Dawn of the Dead. A guy with a .22lr rifle, 30$ worth of ammo up in a tree can kill an infinite number of slow zombies. Zombie apopcalypse unlikely.

Mid Threat: Fast zombies, ala 28 days later. Just have to wait these guys out and try to avoid open areas where you cannot out-run them.

High Threat: Smart, fast, strong zombies, ala I am Legend. This is where you really need to be prepared. Survival is not assured.

Very High Threat: Gun-weilding zombies, ala Doom. Zombies that drive cars and shoot at you is nightmare mode. Luckily, if they have guns they will end up shooting victims instead of infecting them. This might limit the chances of a full-on zombie apopcalypse, but if caught in an outbreak, survival is nigh impossible.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 101