Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133923 times)

Angellus

Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #990 on: November 05, 2009, 08:33:49 am »

This is why we need to develop inter-planetary missiles, so we can launch them at Mars and watch the fireworks. Also, space/high atmosphere detonations are fun, a nice blue/white orb with circular blue shock wave. Especially fun because it unleashes an EMP on the people below.

... You guys are idiots.

Mars is probably the most important planet in out system right now, save earth.
You understand it's all in jest right? I'd say around 50% of what I say is a joke although it should be obvious. Of course I wouldn't actually want a nuclear missile to be launched at Mars. It's too far away, you wouldn't be able to see anything. Instead, the Moon, nice and close, you would be able to see the fireball and dust cloud with the naked eye.
XD You're a sadistic fuck, has anyone told you yet?

And I know that 80% only joke, it is the 20% that I'm worried about :)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #991 on: November 05, 2009, 09:55:31 am »

lol  :D
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #992 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »

There is a perfect spot about 40~ miles from my home for this. It's a big granite mesa that exists because of the stone around it eroding. There's a natural cave system in it about half way up. It'd be perfect for our air-hangar, with further back chambers serving as kitchens, barracks, excercise rooms, store rooms, etc. and the top of the mesa could be our farmland once we drag enough soil up to it.

Aw man, and the best thing I have is only a huge series of former gold mines stretching for miles under granite mountains in some of the most beautiful terrain in the world. With a significant amount of gold remaining to be collected.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 05, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »

only problem is gold makes shitty bullets, what you need is an iron mine.
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #994 on: November 05, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »

We should use nukes to do cosmetic surgery on the man in the moon!!!!
Are there any plans to make it look like the moon on Majora's Mask? We can scare the life out of the zombies once more using that tactic.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 05, 2009, 08:08:16 pm »

Are you sure that gold wouldn't make decent bullets? They wouldn't pierce and sort of armour, but they don't have to, it should be comparatively easy to refine too. Trying to get Iron out of an Iron mine would be a nightmare...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 05, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »

Modern gold mines use cyanide as a solvent.  Bad idea.

I'd think that Okinawa would be a pretty defensible spot...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:12 pm »

You know that non-AP bullets are made of lead, right?
Gold is harder then lead.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #998 on: November 06, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:09:54 pm by Stany »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 06, 2009, 03:56:42 pm »

I suspect it is mostly for its being common and heavy, but I really wouldn't know...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 06, 2009, 04:02:24 pm »

You know that non-AP bullets are made of lead, right?
Gold is harder then lead.
Why do they use lead actually? For it's malleability?
They use lead because it's Cheap, Has a low melting point, and it has a high density.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 06, 2009, 04:04:47 pm »

And for the Fun affects.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06:43 pm »

Lead is common, very dense, and cheap because it has relatively few uses and a low melting point. Gold would make excellent bullets, being both extremely dense (about 2x as dense as lead even) and a little harder than lead, with a higher melting point (it would deform much less when fired). What a waste of flashy jewelry material though! We need to LOOK GOOD when fighting zombies! Oh, and you'd have to get pretty creative to effectively refine, melt and mold gold with nothing but wood and a hobby survivalist's knowledge.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 06, 2009, 04:40:46 pm »

Who said that iron would be hard to refine, it's a dream to use if you have the right minerals, for instance my Grandfather worked at an iron mine that was mining pure magnetite, that is still present right up the road, and it's nearly 100% pure iron......  That and gold's a bitch to refine, and lead would kill you faster then the zombies would, what we need is a copper mine!
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »

First: no one said iron is hard to refine. However, I did say gold is hard to refine and that I doubt any hobby survivalist has the knowledge to do it.

Myth: Lead kills you.

Lead doesn't kill you. It doesn't even hurt you until you consume a large amount of it, through constant skin contact over a period of years or through directly eating significant amounts of it. You could intentionally eat small amounts of lead the whole time the zombies are there (given the time it would take a body to decompose) and not die, though you would suffer some brain damage. Lead poisoning isn't something you can get by walking through a place where lead is mined, unless they have come up with some drastically idiotic process which somehow vaporizes lead (a hard thing to do, by the way). You would have to sleep on a bed carved out of solid lead or eat with lead plateware to get lead poisoning in a lead mine.

It's perfectly safe to have everything in your house painted with lead paint, as long as you don't allow your children to chew the furniture. The only other issue with lead paint is that paint tends to become dust (and thus breathable) when a structure is demolished.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 101