Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133856 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #945 on: November 01, 2009, 04:21:30 pm »

If zombies plan on getting past these, they'd have to be smart enough to focus an army on one small portion
zombies are usually represented as having near limitless numbers, so after a while you might cop a few thousand from every direction...
Even so, provided enough length and height (designed for minimum height of 7 feet tall), and how disorganized zombies get. If you regularly maintain the barrier by cleaning it once in awhile while the coast is clear (even just removing the bodies from the spikes and placing them a short distance from the wall itself would do), it'll remain difficult for zombie crossings.

Plus, according to my design, as long as it's properly built, every section can handle a minimum of at least 25 bodies-per section (Sections = at least 5 ft. wide) before it's effectiveness starts diminishing. I don't think all zombies would know to concentrate their mass and energy, then start climbing, as well as break the defensive spike barriers. I don't recall zombies making human pyramids to climb over things. Most the time, they make mosh pits. Not even making phalanx formations.

Angellus

« Reply #946 on: November 01, 2009, 04:56:55 pm »

If zombies plan on getting past these, they'd have to be smart enough to focus an army on one small portion
zombies are usually represented as having near limitless numbers, so after a while you might cop a few thousand from every direction...
Even so, provided enough length and height (designed for minimum height of 7 feet tall), and how disorganized zombies get. If you regularly maintain the barrier by cleaning it once in awhile while the coast is clear (even just removing the bodies from the spikes and placing them a short distance from the wall itself would do), it'll remain difficult for zombie crossings.

Plus, according to my design, as long as it's properly built, every section can handle a minimum of at least 25 bodies-per section (Sections = at least 5 ft. wide) before it's effectiveness starts diminishing. I don't think all zombies would know to concentrate their mass and energy, then start climbing, as well as break the defensive spike barriers. I don't recall zombies making human pyramids to climb over things. Most the time, they make mosh pits. Not even making phalanx formations.
The zombies don't have to be dead you know... Rather bad to be finding a live one among the corpses...

I could be a quite disturbing thing you know ^^ Moshing zombies at your gates, trampling their fellow kind due to the fact they keep on reaching smaller space, spiking themselves with you on top of the tower, overseeing an endless horde, knowing you will not hold out.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #947 on: November 01, 2009, 05:01:00 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:16:53 pm by Stany »

Angellus

« Reply #948 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:27 pm »

You need to be on something which couldn't be scaled. Not even with a huge pile of bodies. A plateau in the middle of a desert, that should do it. Too steep for them climb and even if they did make a pile of bodies, you would be too high for the pile to reach before it collapsed. Maybe throw a few grenades into the pile if it looks threatening.
Oil derrek on sea?

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #949 on: November 01, 2009, 05:10:20 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:16:40 pm by Stany »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #950 on: November 01, 2009, 05:11:39 pm »

You need to be on something which couldn't be scaled. Not even with a huge pile of bodies. A plateau in the middle of a desert, that should do it. Too steep for them climb and even if they did make a pile of bodies, you would be too high for the pile to reach before it collapsed. Maybe throw a few grenades into the pile if it looks threatening.
Here's an idea, have some bulkheads that can allow entry from underground with a couple layers of those walls (spaced apart enough to prevent wall-hopping) guarding the blast doors. And for safe measure, have one more of those walls guard the very edge of the plateau in case we get agile fast zombies that can free climb a plateau. Or some downward spikes; whatever works.

We also gotta be sure the plateau is thick enough to retain structural rigidity to contain a fortress, as well as some sort of farming. Forms of escape can range from gliders (packed within the fortress to contain more; no engines required; and considering the desert, thermal lift), to ultralights (for recon and hunting), to choppers or VTOL craft (V-22 Osprey if you want the most flexibility and cargo hauling with speed), in order to keep supply to the fort.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 01, 2009, 05:33:18 pm »

Or you could just wait it out in a well-stocked bunker...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Angellus

« Reply #952 on: November 01, 2009, 05:34:30 pm »

You know, I'm actually getting pumped for a zombie outbreak XD

Think it is time to create a parasite that does this to humans? =D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 01, 2009, 06:34:03 pm »

Here's an idea, have some bulkheads that can allow entry from underground with a couple layers of those walls (spaced apart enough to prevent wall-hopping) guarding the blast doors. And for safe measure, have one more of those walls guard the very edge of the plateau in case we get agile fast zombies that can free climb a plateau. Or some downward spikes; whatever works.

We also gotta be sure the plateau is thick enough to retain structural rigidity to contain a fortress, as well as some sort of farming. Forms of escape can range from gliders (packed within the fortress to contain more; no engines required; and considering the desert, thermal lift), to ultralights (for recon and hunting), to choppers or VTOL craft (V-22 Osprey if you want the most flexibility and cargo hauling with speed), in order to keep supply to the fort.

There is a perfect spot about 40~ miles from my home for this. It's a big granite mesa that exists because of the stone around it eroding. There's a natural cave system in it about half way up. It'd be perfect for our air-hangar, with further back chambers serving as kitchens, barracks, excercise rooms, store rooms, etc. and the top of the mesa could be our farmland once we drag enough soil up to it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #954 on: November 01, 2009, 06:44:27 pm »

There is a perfect spot about 40~ miles from my home for this. It's a big granite mesa that exists because of the stone around it eroding. There's a natural cave system in it about half way up. It'd be perfect for our air-hangar, with further back chambers serving as kitchens, barracks, excercise rooms, store rooms, etc. and the top of the mesa could be our farmland once we drag enough soil up to it.
Before we establish something there, we gotta make sure the government isn't doing any quantum research in that location. Provided it's large enough to house a military super-infrastructure.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #955 on: November 01, 2009, 06:48:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:15:51 pm by Stany »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 01, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

I'm set for life in this case, in the middle of the harbour, there's a run-down military base, surrounded my a twenty foot high seawall, made of solid concrete, there's already underground facilities in place, and it's currently being used as a botanical garden with vegitables, fruits ect. already growing.  Plus they have a small airplane launch pad and a weapons stash for museum purposes, only problem is the boat ramp, it's fairly large and couldn't really be closed off, but there is pillboxes all around it, and a *broken* iron drawbridge, which if anyone had any mechanical skill at all they could probably fix it in no time.  Comes equiped with generator, anyone want in?  You must have a boat/helicopter/ultralight.
Nom nom nom

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 01, 2009, 08:36:50 pm »

Before we establish something there, we gotta make sure the government isn't doing any quantum research in that location. Provided it's large enough to house a military super-infrastructure.
The ultimate irony would be that they developed the zombie virus there.

Haha, just realized the Black Mesa similarities. No, government has no real involvement. An old couple owns the land and have staff run cave tours in the spring and summer.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 01, 2009, 10:15:38 pm »

Itd be fun to boil the bastards with radio-wave cannons.

(yeah, the army has made some, for riot control.)
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 01, 2009, 10:22:42 pm »

I think those are designed to just cause headaches and ear trauma, not shut down the brain. Although, they might be retuned in the right hands...
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 101