Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133833 times)

Angellus

Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #930 on: November 01, 2009, 05:43:50 am »

Ehm, don't you guys thing that if you make a tall \_/ shaped thing and patroll it at the top, it will flip?

In the form of, you get up from the thing falling sideways and look right into the rotten eyes of the zombie... '...hello?' omnomnomnom!

You'll be dead.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 01, 2009, 06:40:07 am »

Hahahaha.
Just use a makeshit biplane.

"I'm raining doom to the zombeh and moving from island to island!"

Of course, when you crash at the sea, you are SCREWED.

(I live in an archipelago)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 01, 2009, 07:23:10 am »

Clearly what you need is some Dwarves to build you a sealed off self-sufficient underground fortress.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:38 am »

The problem with islands is that the zombies can walk or float to them. At least on the land you basically knon where and when they will turn up...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #934 on: November 01, 2009, 07:53:48 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:18:04 pm by Stany »

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 01, 2009, 08:44:54 am »

Semi-plausible explanation for zombies getting to islands: Zombie chases boat into sea, meanders along bottom chasing fish and getting further away from the shore. Decomposition makes it bloat up and float to the surface, wind and waves do the rest.

Also, you want to complain about pressure killing a walking corpse?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #936 on: November 01, 2009, 08:55:45 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:17:32 pm by Stany »

Angellus

« Reply #937 on: November 01, 2009, 09:31:12 am »

I still believe in the possible zombies being the type infected by a virus, thus with a somewhat functial brain and thus needing oxigen.

Thus I won't be thinking about floating/seawalking zombies anytime soon. Also, they will be murderable with slashing weapons if you bleed them out. They won't, however feel pain in my opinion.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #938 on: November 01, 2009, 09:35:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:17:19 pm by Stany »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 01, 2009, 09:41:59 am »

Ehm, don't you guys thing that if you make a tall \_/ shaped thing and patroll it at the top, it will flip?

In the form of, you get up from the thing falling sideways and look right into the rotten eyes of the zombie... '...hello?' omnomnomnom!

You'll be dead.
If its a wall around a building it should be big enough (not to mention anchored) to not flip...

Angellus

« Reply #940 on: November 01, 2009, 10:20:29 am »

You'll be dead.
If its a wall around a building it should be big enough (not to mention anchored) to not flip...
True, but then it would not be movable, as was the topic.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:15 am »

You'll be dead.
I thought it changed from movable (its way to heavy) to building protecting?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #942 on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:25 am »

You'll be dead.
I thought it changed from movable (its way to heavy) to building protecting?
Here's a template I came up with that could help, though it may be costly and time consuming to build, but it should discourage climbing over, while making it difficult anyway if anything intends to climb over:

v
 __<_\|/_>__
 /|*\   /*|\   Anti-climber porcupine spike strip + Hooks, barb-wire, and spikes
    /\ /\
     | |       Spiked Wall
    -| |-
   _/   \_
  /       \  
  | |   | |    Underground foundation
  |_|   |_|

If zombies plan on getting past these, they'd have to be smart enough to focus an army on one small portion, and sacrifice enough bodies to make the porcupine system harmless. But by then, there would be enough firepower focused in the area to gun down the remaining zombies. This can only apply to armies of zombies. Individual, or wandering ones can't stand a chance against the wall.

Upon handling corpse issues (ones stuck on/in the wall), breed crows and vultures to take care of the bodies; especially if they build up an immunity to whatever caused the zombification. Just as long as the birds don't turn against man and start chowing on the living.

In case zombies are attacking from inside, you can always place C4 in the middle of the wall, and blow open a hole, and build a makeshift spike-barrier (out of the debris) upon leaving to hold them off for a moment, that is, if they find the hole you just made.If the top portion remains intact, you can rotate the wedge to face against the horde, especially if the remaining spikes and such are still attached.

So how's that for defensive measure? This looks like something the army would have built in advance way before a zombie invasion.

It can also be modified to be a single-sided defense, while the other side is a smoother, less deadly wall, with maybe even a ladder carved into it to be able to climb up and handle the zombies up close. Like so:

v
     _\|/_>__
l   .|   /*|\   Anti-climber porcupine spike strip + Hooks, barb-wire, and spikes
a   .|  /\
d   .|  |       Spiked Wall
d   .|  |-
e  ./    \_
r ./       \  
   | |   | |    Underground foundation
   |_|   |_|

Being a modular design, these things can be built however it is seen fit. If anything, they're mostly fit for med-long range defense for those using guns, whereas the spikes and barbs serve to handle close range.

Specs:
Material- Concrete or scrap material (even brick will do)
Spikes, barbs, and hooks- whatever you have surplus of, preferably metal.

Dimensions-per-section (excluding foundation): (Min - Max)
X (thickness)- 3 - 5 ft. (from thinnest portion)
Y (Length)- 5 - 9 ft.
Z (Height)- 7 - 15 ft.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:29:50 pm by Itnetlolor »

Angellus

« Reply #943 on: November 01, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a very neat defence design, aside from the long build time, but this can probably be quick-constructed from sewer pipes (they will just be single-manned and not very high).

Maybe fire to rid of the corpses? The crows will probably spread the disease.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 01, 2009, 03:07:57 pm »

I still believe in the possible zombies being the type infected by a virus, thus with a somewhat functial brain and thus needing oxigen.

Thus I won't be thinking about floating/seawalking zombies anytime soon.
Well in that case they just swim and probably have some recollection of islands...

If zombies plan on getting past these, they'd have to be smart enough to focus an army on one small portion
zombies are usually represented as having near limitless numbers, so after a while you might cop a few thousand from every direction...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 101