Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133805 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #885 on: October 29, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »

But at least half of the time, zombism is stated to ward disease away (cuz the virus and bacteria have an instinctive fear of zed-germs). I like Napalm. One can make home-brew versions pretty easily, and you can kill the structural capabilities of a body pretty quickly.

Of course, shooting them all in the head is the preferred manner of disposal. You just get into problems with bullet numbers. This largely depends on where you live. Here in Fargo, I'd safely bet that I could raid ten houses and get at least 150 shotgun shells, 50 full sized rifle rounds, and a fair number of .22 LR.

Seriously, if the dead rise, get your ass to Fargo.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #886 on: October 29, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:03:02 pm by Stany »

Angellus

« Reply #887 on: October 29, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »

I still think the best option is to find a nice large cruise ship, fill it with food and water. Move about a mile off the coast of a country. Maybe hang around in the bay of a city and just watch and wait for it all to blow over. Send out scavenger parties in smaller boats if we have to.
One big oil tanker filled with people and food, that just has to go wrong :D

But, probably still the best idea :)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #888 on: October 29, 2009, 02:12:58 pm »

Zombies might be able to swim though. Why not modify the boat so it can fly? Airships could work better. I don't recall there being any flying zombies.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 29, 2009, 03:02:53 pm »

Zombies might be able to swim though. Why not modify the boat so it can fly? Airships could work better. I don't recall there being any flying zombies.
I think most zombies are unable to swim or if they can make such easy targets (more flailing about than swimming) that its not even worth mentioning. Probably don't want to lay a anchor down incase they can climb but would definetly be safer than land. As to airship theres no practical way to carry a decent load and not have to land to refuel. As I recall there are fliers that run totally on solar power but I think those are pretty much limited to drones and maybe 1 man aircraft with no load. Besides there has to be at least 1 person awake at all times to make sure the aircraft doesn't divebomb itself which doens't lend well to a 1 man crew.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 29, 2009, 03:36:29 pm »

Seriously, if the dead rise, get your ass to Fargo.

Y'know. Moving in with Strife sounds like a good idea to me.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 29, 2009, 03:37:12 pm »

lets face it, anything other then an uninhabited island is flawed. You need plants to recycle materials.

Angellus

« Reply #892 on: October 29, 2009, 04:39:58 pm »

I think most zombies are unable to swim or if they can make such easy targets (more flailing about than swimming) that its not even worth mentioning. Probably don't want to lay a anchor down incase they can climb but would definetly be safer than land. As to airship theres no practical way to carry a decent load and not have to land to refuel. As I recall there are fliers that run totally on solar power but I think those are pretty much limited to drones and maybe 1 man aircraft with no load. Besides there has to be at least 1 person awake at all times to make sure the aircraft doesn't divebomb itself which doens't lend well to a 1 man crew.
Fill it with either helium or hydrogen, you can fill up the lost hydrogen by electrolysis (watch out, you'll easily explode :D).

Food and other weird things might be a problem, but this will give you the possibility to get around.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 29, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

Ya, the only thing worse than being on land is being on a boat. Because in a boat, there is no where to run. On a boat, you inevitably need multiple people to both run it and keep floaters from climbing aboard or up the anchor chain if you are foolish enough to drop anchor. And the more people you have, the more supplies and prep time you need. And of course, with the additional time and addition people, your chances of one of them getting infected while preparing to leave increase drasticly if you do not detect the zombie plague months in advance. Then there is the factor of having huge crowds trying to get to the docks to the supposed safety at sea if you are still at port when the general public gets wind of the coming wave of death.

Just remember folks: The greatest enemy of a zombie is information. The more people know about zombies and their capabilities, the more effectively and safely they can be combatted. So, do everyone a favor, and inform everyone you know about zombies. After all, if they avoid infection, that is one less zombie you will have to kill.

Oh, and on the topic of knives and daggers: They can be useful, but will be extremely dangerous to the user compared to the alternative weapons. To kill a zombie with one, you need to puncture through either the eye or up through the throat to destroy the brain; this leaves you very open to being bitten or scratched due to the extremely close proxemity required.

Another tip: wear many layers of durable clothing. Don't overdo it lest you fall victim to heat exhaustion, but each layer decreases the chances of a zombie puncturing your clothes and nom nom nomming on your flesh.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 29, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »

Have a cruise ship, slick the sides so that nothing can climb up(with rope ladders to drop if anyone falls off), have at least 3 people watching the anchor at all times and never raise it so quickly that you might not notice a zombie stuck to it.
 Have several remote island farms with deep bunkers, alarms(can be simple rope affairs), and heavily armed troops. If one or two zombies show up, troops dispose of them, if an army walks out of the water, troops get into the bunker and a zeppelin coats the thing in napalm.
 Have zeppelins that can be docked at the ship or islands that fly around collecting supplies, rescuing people, and scouting out zombie concentrations.
 Have a plan for dealing with the zombies, sooner or later your going to want to settle the mainland...(Hmm, that could be a setting for a computer game, like civilisation but with almost no tech, limited supplies, looting, and zombies.)

And remember QUARANTINE!!!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 29, 2009, 08:22:14 pm »

You guys should totally read world war z.

Simple, stay out of cities. Build houses on an island on stilts. Cover the island in shark nets to prevent those under sea zombies. And camp out for all eternity.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 29, 2009, 09:45:07 pm »

Yep, World War Z, and more importantly, The Zombie Survival Guide, will be your best friends in the coming zombie apacolypse.

Seriously, if you haven't read The Zombie Survival Guide, read it NOW, before it is to late. It is an excelent book, and even if you go into it with a critical mind, by the time you are half way through, I can gaurrentee you that you will be planning out what you will do when the zombies come.

On a tangential note: the World War Z movie is still moving slowly in production...  :'(

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 29, 2009, 10:56:31 pm »

Yep, World War Z, and more importantly, The Zombie Survival Guide, will be your best friends in the coming zombie apacolypse.

Seriously, if you haven't read The Zombie Survival Guide, read it NOW, before it is to late. It is an excelent book, and even if you go into it with a critical mind, by the time you are half way through, I can gaurrentee you that you will be planning out what you will do when the zombies come.

On a tangential note: the World War Z movie is still moving slowly in production...  :'(

Honestly, both are pretty deeply flawed.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 29, 2009, 11:08:15 pm »

I still think the best option is to find a nice large cruise ship, fill it with food and water. Move about a mile off the coast of a country. Maybe hang around in the bay of a city and just watch and wait for it all to blow over. Send out scavenger parties in smaller boats if we have to.
One big oil tanker filled with people and food, that just has to go wrong :D

But, probably still the best idea :)

That's why you go alone, or with a significant other.  That's one of the advantages of the apocalypse.  There are so few people around that if you manage to survive you're pretty much guaranteed to get laid.
Shoes...

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 30, 2009, 12:08:34 am »

Well as I'm pretty sure it said earlier in the thread it came down to the type of infection. And it's good to have a plan for all cases, along with a good knowledge of common and uncommon types of infected.

Magic Zombies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shamblers :

Speed Freaks:

Mutants:

!?:

Non Standard:

Infection types

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:58:09 am by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 101