Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133714 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #795 on: October 20, 2009, 11:48:49 pm »

Titanium Halligan bar, Hatchet, Two shotguns (to save on re-load time) and a variety of things I can use to blow shit up.

Face it, if you live on a farm, you will win the zombie apocolypse. Not survive... Win.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 21, 2009, 12:39:11 am »

so,im not going to bother reading all 54 pages, but i'm assuming this is a list for what i already have? well,i collect alot of things for when the shtf, and zombies are pretty low on priority list. but i'll list some of the things i have anyway,complete with pictures from google,seeing as how buying shit like this leaves you without money for a digital camera.

1x mossberg 500, 20 inch barrel, my first gun,bought 2 years ago
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1x ruger mini-14, chambered in .223 rem, wooden stock,banana clip,bought one year after mossberg.
1x ruger 10/22, bought because im not rich enough to practice at the range with the other guns every week.
and my most recent (and expensive) addition, 1x kimber 1911 tactical custom ii, 5 inch barrel,chambered in .45
that's it for the guns. onto the pointy sticks.
1x condor combat axe, 13.38 inch
1x crow bar,quite useful for other things as well
1x swedish model 1896 rifle bayonet, ive had it for a very long time
1x machete,unkown make, i cannot find it on the internet,and it doesn't have a model number or anything on it. it is a mystery. 14 inch blade,back sheath. bought at a local pawn shop.

and finally,my newest purchase, 1x promax level iii-A soft vest, standard aramid weave.
with a shirt on,its hardly noticeable.alot more comfortable than i imagined it would be.

well that's enough listing for one day. as far as zombies go? stupid,slow moving targets that don't use cover?bring it on 8)

This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #797 on: October 21, 2009, 06:04:58 am »

do you use that vest in your everyday life??? O_o

Where do you live???
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 21, 2009, 06:05:55 am »

Ooh, OOH! Can I be racist!?

Naahhh... nevermind.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:53 am »

do you use that vest in your everyday life??? O_o

Where do you live???
the vest is for work purposes,yes. although, with the price of them coming down,it wouldnt be a bad idea to invest in one these days.
i live in the u.s.
that question directed at me tack? if so go ahead, i take no offense to those sort of things.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:44:05 am by Nordic dorf »
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:18 am »

You have two of the guns I've always wanted. You lucky bastard.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 21, 2009, 09:08:06 am »

You have two of the guns I've always wanted. You lucky bastard.
well, if were being technical here, me and a friend bought the mini-14,we trade it back and forth,and the kimber has officially taken up all my "fun" budget.i just payed it off a week ago. but yes i am a lucky bastard ;D (a lucky bastard with no money for ammo :-[)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 21, 2009, 04:28:48 pm »

I was going to say "The Bronx." But nevermind.
However, that is an awesome vest.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #803 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:36 pm »

From what I hear... You should've said Detroit...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 21, 2009, 10:03:53 pm »

I was going to say "The Bronx." But nevermind.
However, that is an awesome vest.
it serves it's purpose.the way things are going i might be taking a few business trips to a few less than ideal countries in africa, and if i never get shot at, it's still a worthy investment regardless.
also,protip: if anyone else is considering buying something similar,pay the extra 20$ for the plate carriers to be included with the vest, they are 80$ separately and every bit of money helps, considering the level iV plates run about 530$ for front and back.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:21 pm »

This whole thread reminds me of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide>Zombie Survival Guide[/url].

Anyways, here are one or two a few a lot of things I have to contribute, many of them from that book.

Wear tight clothing. Zombies like to grab loose clothing. Skinny jeans and leather jackets. Short hair.

Only cooperate with other humans whom you know very well, so you can identify any strange behavior before it's too late.

Avoid close combat, especially if not immune to the zombie plague. Although zombies in most cases are clumsy and sluggish, there have been documented cases of viruses actually increasing the host's agility and strength. In any case, make sure you know what brand of zombie you are dealing with before engaging in any gristly close combat.

If close combat is inevitable, always attempt to damage the zombie's brain. A quick decapitation with a machete or a well-placed crowbar chop usually does the trick. One should also consider the effectiveness of a handgun at point-blank range. If ammunition is scarce, a blank shot from a suitable fire arm can be fatal to a zombie if the barrel is jammed against the forehead or temples. However, in the unfortunate event that one's sidearm is not loaded, the best course of action is to flee.

No massive weapons like in those movies. There's no way you're going to carry a heavy machine gun and all of its ammo, in addition to everything else. However, military-grade weapons are excellent choices if one must defend against a Zerg Rush scenario. Just make sure that all ammunition is within arm's reach, and that other weapons are close at hand.

No fancy sports cars. All the roads and bridges will likely be destroyed or blocked by debris. Zombies tend to congregate around heavy human traffic areas as well. A 4WD pickup will be enough. Even a mountain bike will do in a pinch. Either way, the key is self-sufficiency. Even a pickup will run out of gas eventually, but a bike is easily repaired and easily available.

Canned food. Not only does it keep almost indefinitely, but if there is a zombie plague going around, there is a good chance that most food will be infected with the virus. Therefore, it is prudent to avoid all but canned food. Although, if you happen to be immune to the virus, genetically or otherwise, this precaution can be largely avoided.

If extended survival in an area is necessary, stockpile large cadres of food, water, and ammunition in hidden, easily defended areas. Cliffside caves make excellent strongholds, especially if accessible only by climbing, as do buildings with only one entrance. In either case, it is wise to heavily booby-trap or completely block off the entrance to a hideaway. Judging by the trend of zombie movies, a massive standoff between the hero and the horde is inevitable. As such, one should be prepared.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:05 pm »

all of what you said lord dakoth, can be applied to any shtf scenario and which i consider good common sense, replace zombies with rioters,looters, etc.

since a zombie outbreak is pure fiction at this point in time i find it silly however to classify "types". movies are what they are, movies. pure fiction. while i do believe  there is a possibility of a virus that would turn people into little more than animals, i tend to disbelieve the various theories spoken about zombies, like they actually exist. but hey, as long as they give me an excuse to prepare for other disasters, they serve a purpose.

i will admit i am a big sucker for the what if scenario's,though. hell, i know its unlikely it will ever happen,but its just plain fun to think about what happens if it does.
heres an entertaining article on the subject :http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html the 5th one is actually kind of concerning.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2009, 12:16:48 am »

But canned food is pretty heavy. I've got my acu assault bag full of MRE's, thank you very much.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:43 am »

But canned food is pretty heavy. I've got my acu assault bag full of MRE's, thank you very much.
always wise to keep some mobile food like MRE's around even if you plan on staying in one location. canned goods weigh a significant amount (enough that a whole pantry full started to bend the floorboards to the verge of near breaking in my house)and are unpractical for on the go applications. i have been meaning to stock up on some MRE's,but the money just isn't there. for those on a similar budget, buy budget foods high in nutrition,have a taste you can stand, and last a long time and package them together into a ghetto MRE.

also of note, bottled water or any water for that matter does not last forever.it will grow bacteria in it after awhile making it undrinkable,or simply evaporate if left in the heat. the easiest solution to extend water's lifetime is simply keeping it out of sunlight,so that bacteria do not get a chance to grow.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 24, 2009, 10:41:02 pm »

boil the water in a closed container? no bacteria and no evaporation.

Anyway they almost made an MMO on zombies. Called exanimus. But it was cancelled. What would you guys like(not like) in a zombie MMO?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101