Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133941 times)

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2008, 07:33:31 pm »

BE AWARE!  ZOMBIES MAY ATTEMPT TO USE DECEIT IN ORDER TO GAIN ACCESS TO YOUR HOME OR SHELTER.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2008, 08:05:04 pm »

HOLY CRAP MAN! FAIRIES ARE EATING PEOPLE!

I'll never trust the tooth fairy again...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2008, 10:31:23 pm »

HOLY CRAP MAN! FAIRIES ARE EATING PEOPLE!

I'll never trust the tooth fairy again...

Please note to everybody: The Tooth Fairy is invisible. If you see something claiming to be a fairy, if they are not invisible, they are not a fairy.

Carry on.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2008, 10:34:24 pm »

What if they claim to be a regular invisible fairy that underwent a painstaking process of careful painting (the paint, would, of course, remain visible; although it might be uncomfortable on the eyeballs,) to make themselves visible?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »

Fairies getting painted would be lake a dwarf getting shaved. Such a thing would bring dishouner to them and their family.

Clearly a zombie trying to get your brain.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2008, 11:10:38 pm »

Atleast over here all nuclear power plants have the capability to pump up water directly from an aquifier in order to make them less reliant on the normal water supply in event of a shortage(pumping station related malfunctions are embarrasingly common here) and during the post 9-11 paranoia, food stores were added incase the facility had to go into lockdown because of terrorist threat for extended periods. And they have more then enough open fields up top to facilitate the construction of an emergency farm.

Except most of that water's not for drinking, it's for keeping the reactor from experiencing catastrophic meltdowns.  Nuclear power requires stupidly high amounts of maintenance, and you're going to be out of luck during a zombie infestation when the radiological barriers have been worn out and need refurbishing, or any other number of things that are swiftly depleted by the processes involved in nuclear power.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2008, 03:28:12 am »

Most of the water is for the reactor, but not all of it. The staff and security personel needs to live too. And if the government still exists after the Z attack, they will surely recapture the power plants because if they don't a fairly large chunk of land will be uninhabitable for a few thousand years after the attack. If there isn't... Well, a supercritical reactor is alot less painful then being eaten.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2008, 05:45:18 am »

I wouldnt be too sure of that, radiation and all that...

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2008, 05:57:00 am »

Most of the water is for the reactor, but not all of it. The staff and security personel needs to live too. And if the government still exists after the Z attack, they will surely recapture the power plants because if they don't a fairly large chunk of land will be uninhabitable for a few thousand years after the attack. If there isn't... Well, a supercritical reactor is alot less painful then being eaten.

Nah, reactor designs are such that it would shut off safely once there was no longer any operator input.

Nuclear reactors =/= Nuclear bombs

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2008, 09:01:20 am »

Even if it didn't, the most that would happen is a large (Conventional) explosion and radiation dispersal, even then, modern designs are much safer.  There is absolutely no way it would go supercritical unless...

Oh no...

UNLESS ZOMBIES WERE SQUEEZING THE FISSION MATERIAL!

By Thor, their ingenuity knows no bounds!
Shoes...

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »

I wouldnt be too sure of that, radiation and all that...

If you somehow manage to get the reactor damaged in such a way that it is releasing heavy doses of radiation, despite all the safety precautions, then you may be better off just throwing yourself into it if you know you got a lethal dose of rems.  At least if you soak up 8000 or so, you'll probably die reasonably quick, while if you only get two or three thousand you'll slowly die as your body breaks down over the next few days...  And I'm assuming emergency care won't be at a peak during a zombie apocalypse.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2008, 12:41:49 pm »

Wouldn't radiation kill us all anyway?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2008, 12:44:47 pm »

From where?  Just because there are zombies around, doesn't mean there is radiation.  Now, if there was a nuclear exchange because of the zombies, they you may have a problem, but it really depends how close to an epicenter you are.  A nuclear power plant itself does not release harmful amounts of radiation when functioning properly.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2008, 12:51:54 pm »

From where?  Just because there are zombies around, doesn't mean there is radiation.  Now, if there was a nuclear exchange because of the zombies, they you may have a problem, but it really depends how close to an epicenter you are.  A nuclear power plant itself does not release harmful amounts of radiation when functioning properly.

What are you suggesting zombies are, magic?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2008, 12:54:24 pm »

Uhh not all fairies are invisable, just the vast majority.

That was probably a Fairy Godmother, a rather manly one at that, one of the many visable fairies.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 101