Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133884 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2008, 08:46:41 pm »

How would they know I was there, magic?  Hundreds of feet of water would block any scent, sight, or even heat-vision.  The only thing that could work is sensing vibrations, but they're just zombies.  It's not like they'd have time to evolve vibration-sensing organs.

Their brainthirst.  It's the only sensory advantage that zombies have.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2008, 08:54:23 pm »

Zombies dont have supernatural sense either. They are limited by their own bodies. If its a humanoid zombie, then human limits. Dog? Dog limits, which means they can smell better than us but are limited in sight less than us.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:50 pm »

If they walked underwater for a long time looking for humans wouldn't they get all bloated and just float to the surface but be immobile?  Or something?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:30 pm »

They're rotting corpses that run out of chemical energy in days, and can't even obtain more.
Just wait them out.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2008, 09:07:27 pm »

If they walked underwater for a long time looking for humans wouldn't they get all bloated and just float to the surface but be immobile?  Or something?

Oh god, the zombies can use their bloated bretheren as a flesh bridge to an unsuspecting ship.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2008, 01:20:18 am »

They're rotting corpses that run out of chemical energy in days, and can't even obtain more.
Just wait them out.
What if they're running off b-ball energy?  A relatively small quantity of slamicite (or, possibly, a moderate amount of jamicite) is sufficient to taint an area for centuries.  Zombies harnessing that power would be all but permanently fueled.

Angellus

« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2008, 03:28:30 am »

Just wait them out.
If you go trough that logical reason you might as well state that they can't exist in the first place XD...

I'd lock myself and my GF in into the cellar with enough rations for weeks and my katana (together with a wetstone, It's not sharpened), stabbing might not work, but a zombie without limbs is rather useless... unless he moves by grinding his teeth to the ground, in which event I would just take a BBQ-pin and stick it trough its brain, leaving it stuck to the ground.

Yeah, sounds rather funny if zombies took over the US. I'd watch and smile from europe ^^

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2008, 04:35:21 am »

Yeah, it sounds so silly that if you're going to deny what they can and cannot do based on LOGICAL reality, then they wouldn't exist in the first place. It's why I'm sticking with my giant orbital cannon idea. Infallible unless zombies can fly to space.

Which would be rather scary.

But that's why I've got 300 hours of House of the Dead under my belt.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2008, 05:23:44 am »

Well we have to establish what's realistic within the reality of this unreal world where zombies can exist.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2008, 05:35:45 am »

Ioric: Of course, of course. But the way the people are handling it right now, it's sorta like "this rule exists right now because it supports my escape theory! But obviously this rule exists because it denies yours." The rules should really have been stated right from the get go like "we operate on 50's movie zombie principles" or something.

Angellus: I think your biggest concern in that situation isn't the zombies. Locked in a small room with someone you know very well is only ever fun for the first two days.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2008, 07:01:23 am »

Yeah, sounds rather funny if zombies took over the US. I'd watch and smile from europe ^^

QFT
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

mithrawnuroudo

• Escaped Lunatic
  • STOP LOOKING AT MY PROFILE
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:12 pm »

about the zombie prepardness, what your forgetting about the human brain is thats it so absurdly complex that we cant even fully use it. all it would take was for a parastie to evolve to learn to use the "empty" spaces in our brains and work outword.

Also, your underestimating human stupidity/kindness. A person collapses, and they either take him to the hospital or someone trys to give him CPR. During CPR, the zombie revives and bites the person. People think its strange but not zombification, as he was given CPR. the zombie starts shambling towards the crowd and people would assume hes going to seek medical attention. by the time hes bitting several people, someone will have hit him and called the police. the people bitten go home. its the ultimate disease scenario. One person bites two people, they each bite two more, and so on and so on, eventually we have a worldwide pandemic.

At this point people would think, hey its over there, and we're over here, theres water in between us. For starters the gestation period could allow someone on board a plane, which would then release the zombie in that part of the world.

If facing Infection type zombies, baseball bats an knifes are useless BTW. Blood transmits it, and so you'd get Infected.
what do you mean escaped lunatic? i'm not that sane!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2008, 09:09:48 pm »

Ah, but blood would only transmit it if you had the misfortune to drink it or have it come in contact with your own blood.  And do zombies bleed?  They aren't as useless, especially if you are immune to the virus (as the survivors in infection situations always are).

And personally, I think you're underestimating the power of Reason.  Hmmm, that guy got bit, he turned into a zombie.  That guy got bit, he turned into a zombie.  Perhaps I should avoid getting bit?

Also: Yay for thread necromancy!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2008, 01:03:25 am »

I support thread necromancy and zombie preparedness!

DO YOU?

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2008, 01:05:02 pm »

Crowbar, if the Headcrabs are involved  ;)
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 101