Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133797 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »

I've never even thought of a zombie RTS, but man, that idea just writes itself.

You'd have to search through ruins for survivors and supplies, modify vehicles and dole out equipment, zombies would spawn off in the unseen parts of the map, and you'd have to slowly make your way out of each map, passing objectives as you go.  It'd play like a combination of X-COM and Warzone 2100, with either lots or little fiddly micromanagement.

Anybody know how to code an RTS?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2008, 04:36:24 pm »

Yea I think zombie rpgs would be awesome, the forum game should be good as long as its run right.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2008, 04:42:50 pm »

We have quantum backpacks, dual-wielded short swords, and a man with a saucepan on his head.  We were screwed before we even started.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2008, 05:14:13 pm »

Not to mention we're on a damned island, and our eleven strong survivor group is a total sausage fest.  Me and the War Minister are the only non-honkies even - we don't have any designated first-deaths.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:48 pm »

I've never even thought of a zombie RTS, but man, that idea just writes itself.

You'd have to search through ruins for survivors and supplies, modify vehicles and dole out equipment, zombies would spawn off in the unseen parts of the map, and you'd have to slowly make your way out of each map, passing objectives as you go.  It'd play like a combination of X-COM and Warzone 2100, with either lots or little fiddly micromanagement.

Anybody know how to code an RTS?

I played the demo of Warzone, it was pretty cool but when I played the full game after it went Freeware I couldn't get into it.

Edit:  Aqizzar, I'd fill in the obligatory minority position, but this forum would be shut down and we would all be arrested after I was done roleplaying.
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2008, 05:40:31 pm »

Now that it's been mentioned, I don't think I've ever seen a modern Zombie survival RTS game. All I see are 'okay' mods for some other games, and I think the only thing that would make a good Zombie survival would be the Heroes of Annihilated Empires engine since it can have so many freakin' troops on screen at once.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2008, 05:45:27 pm »

I remember reading about that game way back when...  Then I forgot about it.

Now I see that they have a demo out.  I'm going to give it a look so I know what you're talking about.  I do remember some other game from the makers of Cossacks, part of their American revolution series.  Now that could hold a few troops.

EDIT:  Just looked at a few pics.  Am I the only person who gets put off by scale relation issues?

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2008, 05:48:43 pm »

We have quantum backpacks, dual-wielded short swords, and a man with a saucepan on his head.  We were screwed before we even started.
Haha yes sounds like it but my guy is mostly based on me, and I dont plan on duel-weilding, im gona fight with two hands then if it gets stuck in a damn zombie ill pull the other. haha ima ninja (:

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2008, 05:54:56 pm »

I remember reading about that game way back when...  Then I forgot about it.

Now I see that they have a demo out.  I'm going to give it a look so I know what you're talking about.  I do remember some other game from the makers of Cossacks, part of their American revolution series.  Now that could hold a few troops.

EDIT:  Just looked at a few pics.  Am I the only person who gets put off by scale relation issues?

They also made STALKER.

And by scale relation, do you mean like in Warcraft 3 where castles are 10 feet tall and 20 feet in diameter, and Archimonde is like six feet tall, then suddenly becomes hundreds of feet tall when he attacks the world tree?
Shoes...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »

Has anyone else heard of the great zombie abandonware game called Facewound. Its a 2d side scroller game with crazy physics and a large assortment of weapons.

As for zombie RTS, has anyone played the Halflife 2 mod Zombiemaster? One person plays as the zombiemaster like an RTS game and the rest of the people play as survivors trying to kill the zombies in FPS. Great mod.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2008, 06:01:52 pm »

This game has the best scale I've seen compared to most other games. I don't see where any major scale problems are, except maybe heroes, but it's designed like that so they don't look as tiny as the other soldiers so you can pick them quickly.

Edit: I'm going to check out facewound, looks pretty neat from the features listed.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2008, 06:04:53 pm »

Has anyone else heard of the great zombie abandonware game called Facewound. Its a 2d side scroller game with crazy physics and a large assortment of weapons.

As for zombie RTS, has anyone played the Halflife 2 mod Zombiemaster? One person plays as the zombiemaster like an RTS game and the rest of the people play as survivors trying to kill the zombies in FPS. Great mod.

The models are too badly screwed up, they ruin any kind of immersion I could possibly get.  There's no need to modify the models, and yet they did.  Banshees use the screamer model, but it's been edited so it stands up straight, without doing anything to the animation.  They float about a foot off the ground, flailing their arms in the air and looking straight up.  Behemoths are almost as bad.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:50 pm »

Well, I happen to like Zombie Master...  It needs a lot of work, certainly, but it already provides some highly entertaining player-made mistakes, and the highest degree of teamwork that I have ever seen in any online game.  Ever.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2008, 06:10:32 pm »

Seriously there are no good zombie rpgs out there. I like the game boxhead though, you know the flash zombie killing game? where everyone is made of boxes (: haha.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »

Well, I happen to like Zombie Master...  It needs a lot of work, certainly, but it already provides some highly entertaining player-made mistakes, and the highest degree of teamwork that I have ever seen in any online game.  Ever.

Savage needs much more teamwork than any game out there. It's just a fact, or maybe Act of war (that new-er RTS based on modern fighting, I think it's called Act of war or something along those lines) comes close.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 101