Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133985 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #375 on: January 01, 2009, 02:53:21 am »

You think that armies would be so quick to abandon their countries?

Patriotism dies hard comrade.
And where else are you going to go, the infected suburbs? They would know their only chance to survive is to stay with their respective military system. I'm sure if a military survives, they will adapt to taking down Zombies.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 01, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »

Sure, give the army a month to prepare, and they could retake infected suburbs. Take over one multi story building, and put a couple of platoons on top with rifles.

Zombies don't understand 'cover.'

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 01, 2009, 10:59:40 pm »

This is assuming they have near infinite ammo supplies.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 01, 2009, 11:05:57 pm »

In america at least, there are a hell of a lot bullets lying around. I'd bet that you could find a couple of cases of shots for an ancient M-1 Garand if you looked. Also, remember that it's the army's job to have armament.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2009, 01:56:38 am »

For once, I fully agree with Strife. Its almost certain that the army has stuck to its 'never throw anything away' motto. They still have fucking C-Rations stuffed away somewhere, in over 60 year old outposts, in god knows where U.S.A. My bet would be, they still have ammo and weapons stuff away in various places from the last World War. And its even more likely that we have stuff from the war in the jungle.

The U.S Military at least, won't die on account of running out of ammunition. Its not having enough people to fire off rounds.

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2009, 02:10:12 am »

They should make PIE rounds like the ones from WWZ you know the ones that explode into fire when they puncture.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2009, 02:27:24 am »

Your mention of glaives brings up another thing; maces > all. They're one of the only weapons designed to cave heads in, and the Zombie Survival Guide almost totally blows them off. Imagine a long rod with a short chain on the end, and a spiked iron ball on the end of that chain. That would easily be better than almost anything else.

A mace and chain is mostly a really badass way of fracturing your own femur.  Stick to normal maces.

In america at least, there are a hell of a lot bullets lying around. I'd bet that you could find a couple of cases of shots for an ancient M-1 Garand if you looked. Also, remember that it's the army's job to have armament.

Hmm, yes, there might be a few cases of 30-06 lying around somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:29:04 am by Footkerchief »

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2009, 02:39:07 am »

Also, a standard part of the U.S. training regimen is close quarters combat, drilled into the soldiers to the point it becomes a reflex. It's risky, but if it comes down to it they'll probably take down a number of "healthy" zombies without even firing a shot.

Then again, the martial arts as we know it were not made based on the assumption that a bite from the opponent is lethal. Some moves might be downright stupid against zombies.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2009, 02:41:03 am »

Wearing extremely tough and thick gloves, and overall protection itself, and then moveing in for a neck kill from behind against a slow zombie would work. If they were fasties though, they might just swarm you by the time your that close...

But so it goes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2009, 10:10:42 am »

Jualin: Most martial arts, while instinctive in nature, hold in principle that the opponent is capable of rational thought, self-preservation, and humanlike behaviour. What this means is that for example in kickboxing, you assume that your enemy will punch or kick you. A zombie probably wouldn't have any of these, is more likely to throw its entire body at you, making it far more deadly than even a wild animal. Additionally, quite a few forms of self-defense focus on inflicting pain in order to stop the opponent. If your opponent doesn't feel pain, or is in a state where pain is irrelevant... what's the point?

Even if he were a kung fu master teleported in from the world of television Chinese soaps, he'd still die to 100 zombies rushing him at the same time I think.

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:55 pm »

But martial arts like muy thai and judo one which as a offensive style meant for war and the second which is for throwing your opponent around are good ones.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2009, 04:23:49 pm »

Of course, we all assume zombies always come in hordes. I'm sure most combat styles would be ineffective on any large group of foes. When it comes down to a manageable amount, I'm sure there are melee fighting styles that would work. A good roundhouse kick to the head sure would rattle a zombies brain, and hopefully disorient it.

Not to mention the human body can only move in specific ways. Many locks and holds put the victim in a position where they cannot fight back, including bites. Then you can just break their limbs and leave them there. Zombies are still biologically human, and have the same weaknesses of their body layout.

Krav Maga was made to be brutal and work in tight areas on large groups of foes. While I don't think it would be the thing that would wipe out zombies, in an enclosed area where only one zombie can reach you at a time you can likely take a dozen down before one manages to bite you.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 03, 2009, 12:51:15 am »

Sounds good does anyone have a link to visual aids for learning such skills?

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:10 pm »

Knock knock.
whose there?
destiny.
i've been expecting you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:20 pm »

Remember though, the best martial artist in the world has a tough time beating a someone competent in sawed-off shotgun.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 101