Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133965 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »

Grab my KA-BAR, so I can hack off zombie wrists if they try to grab me or at least their fingers.

Make noisemakers/flasher things. If possible attach them to molotov cocktails. They will draw attention just long enough to set multiple zombies on fire and provide a very nice dual-use of killing zombies and distracting even more zombies.

Head downtown in car as fast as possible. If things get hairy, abandon car and run. Reach gun store. Hopefully survivors will be there. If not, scavenge for guns and ammo. Something big, preferrably semiauto, firing .308 remington should be primary. Attempt to gain smaller weapon, perhaps a handgun, for emergencies. Again, bigger is better. .45 or .44 if possible.

If zombies are the typical undead type, grab a shotgun instead. Preferrably semiauto. Pellets blast through rotting flesh easy.

Next, locate other survivors in the vicinity. If none can be found, skip to the next step. If they are found, take them back to the gun store (which I would barricade if possible) and arm them using whatever we can find.

Next, locate clean, uncontaminated sources of food and water. Bottled water in the backroom of convenience stores is most likely safe. Food would be more problematic but hopefully not become an issue right away. Go for frozen food that looks untouched and has been kept in a sealed freezer presumably before the outbreak.

Locate the nearest police station or military base. Go there. If military/police are still alive, get help from them. If military/police are not alive, scavenge body armor, weapons and riot gear. Grab flashbangs. Experiment with CS gas on zombies - if it has any appreciable affect grab some CS, pepper spray and tear gas too. If it's the military, acquire as many frag grenades and heavy man-portable weapons as possible.

Attempt to find a large vehicle, such as perhaps an APC, that is mostly immune to zombie attack. Store fuel inside. Get survivors inside. Drive outside of city limits and somewhere deserted. Attempt to find aid. If no aid is found, scavenge for food and water. Keep moving until gasoline runs out, then abandon vehicle or attempt to siphon more from abandoned cars. Attempt to determine how far the outbreak has spread. Head in the direction of what is thought to be the safest area.

Travel by day, and hole up somewhere safe at night and post lookouts. If supplies start to dwindle, establish a semi-permanent base. Fortify a farmhouse, barn, or something like that. Place whatever weapons you have in the windows. Scavenge and stockpile as much food and water as possible, collecting rainwater if at all possible. Start a bonfire to signal for aid and construct some sort of SOS sign. Attempt to hold out as long as possible. Kill as many zombies as damn well possible before they kill you. If situation is hopeless, fight to the last man, and take as many of them with you as you can.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 29, 2008, 12:22:34 am »

Hmmm. Lets face it. 99% of the time you arn't prepared for a zombie takeover. So I'd say go with the flow.

I'd grab a crowbar or some other equally useful weapon, and gather up the daunting amount of supplies I would need. About 60-65% I would likely aquire what I need. The rest I'd have to grab as I loot a few abandoned houses amid the chaos, the scram out of there before either some tough customers come to cause trouble, or the shamblers try and gnaw on my face.

I don't seriously know how to use a gun. Not many people do you realise. So if I found one, I wouldn't really know how to maintain one, or likely even reload. I'd still keep one around of course! Matter of intimidation for survivors who arn't keen on letting others live with all that extra food and such.

Once I ditched the crowds, (I don't live in a very big city anyhow) I'd hide with a few other people somewhere we could fortify, and if its a slow rot in the case of all those shamblers, or possibly runners, where we could forage for supplies.

The whole thing won't last more then a year if the zeds burn themselfs out and bleach out in the sun while us remains hide away for a while. So I'd say, kick back, relax, and take a few potshots at some zeds just for the hell of it.

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2008, 02:34:23 am »

but what about the one that get preserved and restart the process when everyone thinks its ok
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2008, 11:01:12 am »

i always thought that zombies dont rot the reason the fall apert is because they are slowly digesting themselves till they run out of juice

Of course they rot. They are, essentially, corpses possessed by a virus. I'm sure they can starve to death, though, since everything needs food and zombies eat flesh.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 29, 2008, 11:16:07 am »

To be fair, I am in a horrible position. Between three shopping malls, a major highway(Which would be useless to travel on thanks to the number of cars that will be stopped on it), part of the American Megalapolis and few truly useful stores near here. There is an RV dealer near here and what may or may not be a gun shop, but that's it.

I would likely be one if the many infected soon. That is, unless the major highway stays clean. Then I'm driving west for some remote town or something. That or head south and hope the Hillbillies are as effective as I would like.

Seriously, there will be no zombie outbreaks down there. You'll just find walls of zombies, spend shells and beear cans as far as the eye can see.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 29, 2008, 11:21:27 am »

Hmm, my house isn't to bad for a seige scenario. We live on the second floor and have an attic with 2 windows. Fully converted. Its got the water tank up here aswell. But food wise it would be annoying. The _only_ place i can think that would be remotely good in Edinburgh to stay in would be the castle. Its ment to stop seiges, so a few zombies won't harm it very much so :D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 29, 2008, 11:23:49 am »

Sieges generally comprise of a military keeping a group of people trapped inside walls and slowly starving them to death/surrender.

I hope you are prepared with food.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 29, 2008, 03:35:15 pm »

but ifan infected is inside your boned cause your pined with nowhere to go

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:52 pm »

Which is why everyone knows you gotta keep moving. Not alone of course. But not in huge groups. That's asking for more trouble then it can protect from.

The nomadic life style is the only one that will keep you remotely alive and uninfected for either as long as possible, or until the whole damn thing burns itself out. But the damnest thing about that is, most of the world will have it the shitter, so roveing looters, disease, general chaos, and distrust will keep most of humanity in that state for at least a few decades. Until a government could be reemplaced where you live. And its to likely it would be dictatorships as far as the eye could see. And then theres all those damn CEO's in their big friggin' compounds.

Zombies screw you over whether their around, in force, or just gone.

Still, who wants to run and keep on running? Not with 300 million rotters around to cause trouble. Oh and whatever shithole humanitys dug itself into, theres that to.

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2008, 12:43:46 am »

Find select peoe you trust and go with that group and create an democracy for who leads and when shit goes bad they gat replaced and eveyones happy and the survivor you picked up well no one trusts him cause they all trust you

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 30, 2008, 12:59:47 am »

Yeah. And deal with the regular kind of chaos, where everyone wants to do something else. And if it got big, lets face it, theres a half dozen other things to controlling, even a small nation, in a big shit of a waste that would be left of earth after the outbreak, and I just don't think dealing with raiders, dictators, growth, food, and worst of all, the democratic method of process to make each decision. The only reason those crack pot dictatorships will flourish, is intimidation. I say, find a nice REMOTE, like untamed wilderness remote, and carve out a small island of land for your friends. Live it off for a few years, and pass on in relative peace. Do you really have to seek out drama?

And lets look at it this way, your trying to SURVIVE here, so if the option above is around for you to choose, you take the chance.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 30, 2008, 02:57:49 am »

Yeah. And deal with the regular kind of chaos, where everyone wants to do something else. And if it got big, lets face it, theres a half dozen other things to controlling, even a small nation, in a big shit of a waste that would be left of earth after the outbreak, and I just don't think dealing with raiders, dictators, growth, food, and worst of all, the democratic method of process to make each decision. The only reason those crack pot dictatorships will flourish, is intimidation. I say, find a nice REMOTE, like untamed wilderness remote, and carve out a small island of land for your friends. Live it off for a few years, and pass on in relative peace. Do you really have to seek out drama?

And lets look at it this way, your trying to SURVIVE here, so if the option above is around for you to choose, you take the chance.

Definitely untamed wilderness, but stay the fack away from joyous wilds. Zombies on unicorns, scary crap.

Sorry, just saw the perfect oppurtinity for DF humour.

Anyways, all things need oxygen. It's a basic fact of life, deal. So the easy solution is to just drown them by the boatloads, literally. It'd be pretty easy to lure a bunch of undead onto a cargo ship, and easier to remote det the hull so they all sink and drown. An island that's well fortified = priceless.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2008, 05:35:24 am »

Anyways, all things need oxygen. It's a basic fact of life, deal. So the easy solution is to just drown them by the boatloads, literally. It'd be pretty easy to lure a bunch of undead onto a cargo ship, and easier to remote det the hull so they all sink and drown. An island that's well fortified = priceless.

If you don't spot my point Sonerohi, you Fail at zombies.

Max Brooks Bezatch.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2008, 06:14:25 am »

Max Brooks Bezatch.

Even Brooks devoted a whole chapter to pointing out that the stock portrayal of zombies he went with violates quite a few laws of physics on top of biology.  He went on at length about how those zombies under the ocean should've been crushed to pulp by the pressure.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2008, 01:03:56 pm »

Max Brooks Bezatch.

Agreeing with Aqizzar points, and saying this. Not a single god damn person has ever seen a zombie, so noone is any wiser. Max Brooks counts for shit until a real zombie breakout occurs and he disects and studies them.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 101