Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation- DF.  (Read 17263 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation- DF.
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »

-Only being able to tell Dwarves what they're allowed to do, not actually commanding them ala Age of Empires, X-Com, or other games where you lord over a population.

I considered that a major draw and feature of Dwarf Fortress. You're not the omnipresent conscience in everyone's mind, but rather a sort of invisible administrator. Majesty is a game that also uses this scheme, to great effect.

Agreed. If you could specifically order every dwarfd where to go and what to do, it would just be The Sims with shorter sims and beards. This adds an element of chaos to it where in a lot of other games you have so much control over everything that there's hardly any "sim" aspect to it.

Of course, I wouldn't complain about being able to issue exact orders to my military during a siege, especially when marksdwarves in my arrow-slitted towers are sitting with their thumbs up their beards instead of plugging the goblins.

Oh it is cool and make some jobs easier, like fishing and mining. But it's confusing to noobs and does cause dwarves to do dumb things, like the rotting fish example or butchering more meat with rotting meat in the butcher's shop. Admittably, all of these are easy to prevent, but they're frustrating for noobs. Finding designations and figuring out how to build beds as compared to workshops are also big hurdles for noobs to jump through. All of these problems are solved with proper mouse support and/or in-game tutorials.

Of course, I would never give it up. That would let me down. I wouldn't say goodbye or anything, but being able to run your fortress on autopilot most of the time is very cool.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 06:05:50 pm »

but being able to run your fortress on autopilot most of the time is very cool.
Especially when you need to get to some distant season to find out if quarry bushes make seeds when processed to bags and things like that. :P

Of course, I would never give it up. That would let me down.

♫Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down!♫

P.S. I think this idea is a probably not a good one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 08:24:18 pm »

Yahtzee is not a serious reviewer, he's an entertainer. He doesn't do thorough, even-handed analysis of a game's merits and downfalls, he just vomits out first impressions as a stream-of-consciousness narrative peppered with sarcasm.

His reviews are a series of kneejerks about things the viewers are most likely to relate to, agree with, and enjoy a good, mean joke about. They're also about games that a big fat percentage of people watching are likely to be familiar with, for the sake of entertainment value.

Not only is a review devoid of potential to do any good for DF, but a DF review is devoid of potential to be worthwhile to his publisher. Were I him, I wouldn't bother when there's someone out there spending untold millions on another AAA title that I can tear into the myriad flaws and shallowness of to the cathartic delight of the viewers.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:05 pm »

Lol

You talk like you think he takes his reviews seriously
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »

Yahtzee is not a serious reviewer, he's an entertainer. He doesn't do thorough, even-handed analysis of a game's merits and downfalls, he just vomits out first impressions as a stream-of-consciousness narrative peppered with sarcasm.

His reviews are a series of kneejerks about things the viewers are most likely to relate to, agree with, and enjoy a good, mean joke about. They're also about games that a big fat percentage of people watching are likely to be familiar with, for the sake of entertainment value.

Not only is a review devoid of potential to do any good for DF, but a DF review is devoid of potential to be worthwhile to his publisher. Were I him, I wouldn't bother when there's someone out there spending untold millions on another AAA title that I can tear into the myriad flaws and shallowness of to the cathartic delight of the viewers.

Sounds like you read xkcd.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 08:39:37 pm »

Lol

You talk like you think he takes his reviews seriously

Well it's also just plain easier to take cheap shots at, say, Halo 7

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 08:54:04 pm »

IT'S Yahtzee in disguise!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2008, 03:10:02 am »

This is a xXthreadXx. All it's forumership is of the lowest quality. It doesn't menace with anything.

Yahtzee will not do a review of:
1. An unfinished game.
2. A non-mainstream game.
3. A game that requires a lot of learning to actually begin playing.

And do you know why? The Escapist Magazine usually buy a game for him to do; he also hates requests, haven't you ever WATCHED his videos?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2008, 07:53:30 am »

He hates everything else too, according to his videos. ::)
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

...Okay, that's about the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen on these forums.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2008, 08:06:35 am »

[Giant text]

"Have you no decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2008, 11:45:51 am »

3. Do you REALLY want crowds of idiots crowding and filling our community? I mean... like... Well, you know.

Yeah. YOu guys know Cortex Command? I was around from the early non-commercial builds, so I know it's history.
The forums were (notice the were) great. They had people who were intelligent, only asked new questions, never flamed eachother, and created amazing mods for the game.

After the game started being sold and advertised, the forums went to hell within about 2 months. One of the moderators who was very harsh but usually kept the spammers and idiots away went insane and deleted almost half of the forums (after banning me for calling him an idiot heheheh).
And the modding community became a few good modders flooded with idiot modders who couldn't spell their own name if they had to.
A few of the best modders were even banned for retarded reasons. A bunch of the old members on that forum left, so I just never went back there because it sucked so much.

It's a real shame, I loved that forum...
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »

You forgot to mention how the official "forum rules" are ignored by the vets, but then there's a bunch of unofficial unwritten rules that they'll warn you for breaking, even though the only way to know about them is telepathically.

This forum is like the polar opposite of the CC forum.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:13 pm »

I know what you're talking about; Forum-wise, this place is golden. I've tried to use the Garry's Mod forums and they are hideous. BAN BAN BAN BAN and so on.

That said, even if a yahtzee review went out, there where a million visitors, and somehow there was a massive number of people sophisticated enough to like DF despite it's... flaws... yet where also stupid enough to be serious annoyances, there would still be good in this. The idea is that DF needs fans, and the more the merrier, because a few- very few- will donate money to Toady One and allow him to continue improving the game for everybody. And isn't that what we all really want?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:36 pm »

That'll never happen to Bay12games tbh. Idiots won't really come here cause they won't have the IQ to learn a game like this anyway.

Besides, we got people like Janus etc who are board admins at the taleworlds forum, which IMO is one of the best modded community forums I've ever had the pleasure of being a member of - and that community is pretty big by now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9