Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation- DF.  (Read 17265 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation- DF.
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 05:27:56 am »

Well, being an elitist prick is one thing, but denying publicity (which is likely to get Toady more  donations) to DF just because it is going to make you feel less "special" is an embodiment of all things asshole.
However, while IF even Yahtzee will review the game highly unfavorably (since he admitted being 'instant gratification gamer', everything Df is NOT about, it's 99.9% likely), due to the blog's popularity it WILL bring more attention to DF. Of course, most of his viewers will not like it too, but some will try it out of curiosity and may be hooked.
Anyway, I REALLY doubt that he'll bother with reviewing DF (see above).
And besides, I agree it's best to wait for presentation arc to do any serious promotions.
P.S. Yea, not a native English (namely, Russian) speaker. I do try to be coherent, though.

Where does this notion that people think a Yahtzee review is a bad idea because it'll help DF become more popular come from?  The reason it's a bad idea is because Yahtzee hates these types of games and will tell everyone DF is terrible and not to play it, without actually giving any real information that might get someone who'd otherwise like it curious.

Look at his review of The Witcher.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 05:40:45 am »

Wait, you don't want someone to review DF because you're afraid they'll give it a bad review?

The game is what it is. If a reviewer doesn't like it, that doesn't mean you have to stop playing.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 05:56:13 am »

I don't want Yahtzee to review it because he'll give it a bad review because he doesn't like this type of game, and that may keep new people from trying it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 05:56:51 am »

People.

We're at version 0.28. We're just over halfway to halfway to version 1.0.

We're nowhere near being close enough to warrant a review by anyone. The game simply isn't finished, and reviewing a game that's not complete just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. It's the equivalent of reviewing Counterstrike when all you can do is move and load the level.

Consider it when we hit 0.8 or something.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 06:04:57 am »

The "0.28" in the version number refers to the number of cores completed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 06:08:36 am »

I don't have an opinion on this matter, but I'd like to point out that negative reviews by Zero Punctuation actually garner a lot of positive hits on the game in question.

Of course, it's nothing compared to when he's being positive about a game, but still. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:41 am »

I can kind of imagine the first few sentences;

"After I recieved a bunch of emails from a community of programmer-worshipping BASTARDS, I decided to give this thing a go. I found that the learning curve was FUCKING STUPID, and whoever made the game (praise him) should have a FUCKING TUTORIAL."

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 11:43:45 am »

I thought yahtzee's great arch enemies were:

1. Games where you can't do things.
2. Games where you can't be an asshole.
3. Games with horrible glitches that make it hard to play or ruin the fun.

DF has none of these.

That said, I find that foreigners tend to be better at english than natural speakers who never bothered to become literate. Its like

1. I apologise for my spelling and grammar being less than perfect, I have only just recently begun to learn it this langauge is rather confused me.

2.  o hai dudz i duno wtf ur problim iz but GTFO cuz i typ jus fein tvm.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:29:22 pm by shadow_archmagi »
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 11:56:37 am »

2. Games where you can't be an asshole.

Fixed, because in DF you can be an asshole, as anyone who has ever slaughtered a town or killed dwarves for fun has proven.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 12:27:45 pm »

He doesn't only do negative reviews.  Listen to his portal review.

But that's portal. And just about his only completely positive review. He has some half-good half-bad reviews, but as far as I can remember all his reviews are negative.
His Psyconauts review was entirely positive (about the game, less so about the viewer.) This may surprise you, but Yahtzee does like games.

I hate all you elitist pricks. Using DF is not something to get elitist about. There're threads about DF on SA, Gaia, 4chan, and about a million other websites. Don't believe me? Check the Wiki. Check how many interviews Toady has given. Google "Dwarf Fortress" and read the results. Think back to how you originally found DF, or search for threads about that on these forums. DF isn't mainstream, sure, or even close to reaching the fame of, say, Nethack, but internet nerds everywhere have at least heard about it. So when a proposal of free publicity comes along, instead of wanting it and spreading a great game to some great people, you morons want to deprive people of DF just to stroke your e-penis, or whatever bullshit excuse you want to give (which is, invariably, focused on you.)

I would rep you if I could
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 12:52:37 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:28:03 pm by Aribar Hunter »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2008, 01:18:11 pm »

...the game's flaws...

Wait- WHAT? This has those?

Ok, yeah. I didn't mean for this to be a flame war. I'll admit I never expected it to be a very popular idea.

In my defence:
From what I've seen- which are just his videos, website, and games- I suspect Yahtzee could get into Dwarf Fortress. Even if he doesn't review it (he will occasionally use his internet podium to spout off on other topics), he will probably mention it. A few thousand more visitors to DF, and out of them one in a hundred will like the game and keep playing it, and thus one in ten of those will donate, and thus that's twenty or thirty more dollars a month for Toady One, and by proxy, more game for us players. Comma, comma, comma.

I'll admit freely that there's a good chance that he will be outraged with indignation at how horrible the game is and at it's obnoxious community. But if he says even a single word about it, let alone give a scathing review of it, he will only "get the word out" for us. Someone is going to watch the video, try to find out what he was so hate-ie about, and end up liking the game anyway. The worst thing he could do is not mention it at all, and well, all we lost is is the cost of the stamps for the e-mails.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2008, 01:58:17 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:27:51 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2008, 02:44:06 pm »

-Only being able to tell Dwarves what they're allowed to do, not actually commanding them ala Age of Empires, X-Com, or other games where you lord over a population.

I considered that a major draw and feature of Dwarf Fortress. You're not the omnipresent conscience in everyone's mind, but rather a sort of invisible administrator. Majesty is a game that also uses this scheme, to great effect.

-For the first year or so the game gives you the goal of survival. After that you have to make your own goal. I dunno about others, but when I first got the 3D DF my attention sorta wavered from the goal-less enviroment. Which reminds me that I need to download the latest version...

The goal-less environment is kinda what attracts me to Dwarf Fortress. It's subjective as to whether or not this is a flaw or a feature, I suppose. Anyone who played a Grand Theft Auto game and just rode around causing mischief would probably be fine with this.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:47 pm »

-Only being able to tell Dwarves what they're allowed to do, not actually commanding them ala Age of Empires, X-Com, or other games where you lord over a population.

I considered that a major draw and feature of Dwarf Fortress. You're not the omnipresent conscience in everyone's mind, but rather a sort of invisible administrator. Majesty is a game that also uses this scheme, to great effect.

Agreed. If you could specifically order every dwarfd where to go and what to do, it would just be The Sims with shorter sims and beards. This adds an element of chaos to it where in a lot of other games you have so much control over everything that there's hardly any "sim" aspect to it.

Of course, I wouldn't complain about being able to issue exact orders to my military during a siege, especially when marksdwarves in my arrow-slitted towers are sitting with their thumbs up their beards instead of plugging the goblins.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9