Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Mode: Start Fire Here, more about fire  (Read 1589 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Fortress Mode: Start Fire Here, more about fire
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:07:16 pm »

I would like dwarves to have the ability to start fires. Perhaps they should have a hard metal object and stone; I've heard specific references to flint and steel.

They could stand next to the tile and take some time to start the fire, depending on a relevant skill. This would be nice for disposing of things like clothing. When booze flows are implemented, perhaps this could be used for starting a channel of booze on fire, which may lead to a trap of some sort.

Gunpowder seems possible within the Dwarf Fortress paradigm, since both saltpeter and charcoal are available. I would love to see trails of gunpowder leading to rooms containing barrels of booze, large piles of gunpowder, or miasma-filled refuse rooms.

It would be extremely interesting to see static electricity implemented in a manner that related to spontaneous combustion. On excessively dry maps, perhaps gunpowder and miasma would have a small chance of ignition.

It might be a stretch, but cannons would be nice. They would function rather similarly to ballistas, in the case of normal cannonballs, except that they would not require the use of wood. They would be excellent for those with ready access to magma. Grapeshot would be well suited for crowd control.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode: Start Fire Here, more about fire
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »

There actually is a fire and lighting arc coming up eventually. I imagine lots of that stuff will be addressed then.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »

I don't want to sound condescending, but this will indubitably sound that way, so I mind as well get it over with. While suggestions are always appreciated, try to get into the habit of checking this page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html before creating a new thread.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:10:03 pm »

I too would like this. In the community game i'm playing, id like to light the old wooden bridge on fire and replace it with a dwarven one.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:11:22 pm »

I'd like to light ships on fire.
but with tar or treacle not with booze, the waste!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:24:26 pm »

I too would like this. In the community game i'm playing, id like to light the old wooden bridge on fire and replace it with a dwarven one.

Until then, you could just deconstruct it.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 09:43:59 pm »

Until then, you could just deconstruct it.

Thats not as fun, besides if he could light it on fire he could do soe when the elves were on it ;)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.