Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground civ  (Read 4768 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground civ
« on: July 19, 2008, 05:56:38 pm »

DF has tunnels now and this is a perfect opportunity to create a new type of civilization -   underground!

They should live fully underground ( 3-6 Z-Levels deep) and their cities shouldn’t have any entrance from the surface and connected via tunnels only (unless someone dug them out or their communications crossed a chasm or a cave)

Drows or orcs would be very good candidates for such civilization.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Undeground civ
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:58:13 pm »

How are orcs subterranean?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground civ
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:10:28 pm »

Well... Orcs do hate sun and prefer to live underground in many fantasy books. Why DF orcs could not be modified to be fully underground?

But name and stats of the entity are not really important. Mods can do almost anything from generic undergrounders. Mods can't create new type of civilization.  So it would be a fantastic addition from Toady
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 07:26:59 pm »

Why DF orcs could not be modified to be fully underground?
They can't be underground because there are no orcs in DF, as for the idea, it would seem odd that a species would be entirely isolated underground by choice.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 07:46:22 pm »

Odd?  Odd?  DF already has cannibalistic zergelves and goblins that flood themselves out of their homes with kidnapees.

I second the Underground civ idea.  More ways of doing things is always a good idea.  I'd say that being entirely underground means they wouldn't effect worldgen, but worldgen already keeps track of dwarfhalls accidently breaching pits, so obviously it knows where sites are digging.  It would just wind up being rare.

Of course, you can kind of simulate an underground civ now by setting them to live in caves and build only tunnels.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:15:30 pm »

it does?
What happens when they do?
Fun and slaughter or is it just disallowed?
Probably the latter, that with needing a dwarf to dig into the stuff, which are not around at year 0.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »

I can just imagine the in-game announcement.

"You have struck the nameless city!"
"Damn the miners!"

They need to be croc-men, but with half-decent weapons and skills. You get yea long to prepare before their main forces awake from their slumber.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:40:29 pm by Idiom »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:41:38 am »

I'm all for this idea!

One of the key points in underground diversity:
(http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6128.0

We need a rich, full world underneath the surface: just as detailed as above the surface. I know the end-idea is to have equivalent fortress modes for all races, but for now it is titled Dwarf Fortress after all.

As far as what races to use: we have several already in-game to choose from - the old chasm monsters. Antmen would be my #1 choice, as well as batmen.

I'm against the inclusion of AD&D / FR specific races like Drow etc, but an adaptation of the dark dwarves makes sense...in this case they would be not-necessarily evil tribes of dwarves that have all succumbed to cave adaption for generations. Outside bad.

We can also find burrows of goblins and kobolds.

Give me a few underground civs, a random tower-cap forest or three, and an underground lake and I will more than willingly cave in the only entrance to my fort.

phappyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:25:45 pm »

I was about to post a similar idea when I logged on today, instead, here I am lending support to this idea. A few broad notes:

(there will be spoilers here)

• I want more hidden fun stuff to be found when you're digging. Like others have pointed out, maybe in your digging you uncover an underground civilization. I don't need an entire civilization per se, but something. We have this already in some form with the chasms, but I'd like to see the lowest levels...teeming with life. So much so that for every miner, you station a squad of soldiers immediately behind. Almost like the 2d days when magma men appeared at random from the magma river, and batmen/etc from the chasm.
  • Or, extensive existing caves. Your dwarves spelunk in the truest sense! And, uh, things live in the caves! :)
  • I think it's important that you don't necessarily feel safe, especially as you dig through a wall into open space, or look into the empty tunnel leading further into the dark. Who knows where it leads, or what horrors may come wandering through? Megabeast invasions from the tunnel, not from the ground? Dragons coming to claim more gold for their hoard?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 12:55:47 pm »

...it would seem odd that a species would be entirely isolated underground by choice.

1) They may not suspect that aboveground exists
2) If sunlight and\or moonlight is dangerous for them, they would prefer underground 
3) This may be a religious issue.
4) Many, many other reasons

I'd say that being entirely underground means they wouldn't effect worldgen, but worldgen already keeps track of dwarfhalls accidently breaching pits, so obviously it knows where sites are digging.  It would just wind up being rare.

I don't think that this will be very rare on big maps. Tunnels will cross another tunnels or big caves someday. For small worlds it would take longer, but still possible. Especially in the future versions when we will be able to build tunnels ourselves.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 03:14:56 pm »

This would definitely add more to digging underground, right now there isn't very much there compared to above-ground.  A civ of antmen would be nice, or even a giant cave spider civ (shudder).  After all, are we sure they aren't sentient?  The GCSs we find in chasms may simply be hunting food for their civs, or they could be guards/scouts.   ;D
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 04:48:24 pm »

You could make caverns by adding in a stone vein that boils at room temperature.
Not very useful, as they would be uninhabited, but you could do it.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 04:50:43 pm »

You could make caverns by adding in a stone vein that boils at room temperature.

No you couldn't. Walls ignore temperature.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 05:12:42 pm »

a vein of rock that isnt rock? :P

like a type of rock that is 'air' and works with veins and so forth.. so you might randomly get a small cavern filled with 'air' instead of rock
of course that would take some actual code changes methinks, so it didnt end up being wall..

but anyhow

Cave Elves ftw! and Cave Humans! fookin lowbrow noobs.. trying to claim the dwarven territory..
The New Moo!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 05:15:18 pm »

No you couldn't. Walls ignore temperature.

Walls ignore EVERYTHING except caveins and picks. Which includes temperature, I guess...
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2