Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New dump designation and stockpiles  (Read 1153 times)

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New dump designation and stockpiles
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:45:52 pm »

Try this:

- Make a garbage dump zone somewhere
- Dig out a room from rock
- Designate a stockpile, e.g. food
- Use d-b-d to mass-designate the leftover rock for dumping

Dwarves start putting food in the stockpile, dumping rocks out of the stockpile, as intended...BUT they also grab food from the stockpile and dump it, too.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: New dump designation and stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:26:21 pm »

Wait, you are designating a bunch of food to be dumped and then wondering why it's being dumped?

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:28:11 pm »

Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear.  I did the dump designation to get rid of the stone before any of the food got hauled there.  So only stones were marked, but food gets dumped, too.

Clearly the workaround is to wait for the stone to get dumped before making the stockpile, but I figured this wasn't intended behavior so I thought I'd mention it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:42:41 pm »

Sounds like this bug is the result of one of two core problems:

1) The dump designation is affecting the stockpile you put there, and anything that gets put in the stockpile is being dumped, OR

2) The dump designation is persistant, and anything that gets put into the area you designated is being dumped.

If it's the latter, that workaround probably won't work.

EDIT: 3) Or what the Gnome said.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:59:24 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:44:46 pm »

Or maybe it's affecting items that are on their way to squares within the designation area?

When I wait for all the rocks to get dumped, then make the stockpile, there's no problem, so I think the designation isn't persistent.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:43 pm »

This doesn't reproduce for me.  Do you have a save where it's set up but they haven't taken the dump job yet?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:17 am »

I noticed another problem - built furnature also ends up being marked for dump, though I don't know if this actually affects anything or not.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:09:18 am »

I just tried this and couldn't get it to reproduce [39c]. My set up was like this:

█████████████
█.●●█...█...█
█●.●........█
█●●●█...█...█
█████...█████

First, I moved food (a mix of barrels, seed bags, and loose food) into the right room, just so it would be close:

█████████████
█.●●█...█%%f█
█●.●.....%%%█
█●●●█...█ff%█
█████...█████

f = food stockpile

Then I set a garbage zone, created a food stockpile on the left, and removed the stockpile on the right:

█████████████
█f●●█ggg█%%.█
█●f●.....%%%█
█●●●█...█..%█
█████...█████

I then unpaused and waited for some food hauling jobs to show up in the job list. After that, I designated the room on the left to be dumped (before any food had actually been moved there). End result:

█████████████
█ff%█●gg█...█
█%%%........█
█f%%█...█...█
█████...█████

There was no food in the garbage area, nor were any dump jobs in the job list. I did not try it before food hauling jobs were assigned, so that's another route that someone could test.

(Note that this is actually scaled down a little from my actual test, and food/rock positions aren't exact.)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:17:54 am »

I can't replicate it, either.  I know something happened to make the dwarves carry barrels to the dump, but it's not like I described--something else had to be involved.  I'll keep trying, but I guess this one can be ignored in the meantime.

Sorry.  :-[

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »

Well, sometimes they can put a barrel/bin and a rock on the same tile, maybe there were just some barrels there you didn't see.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 01:59:20 pm »

Well, sometimes they can put a barrel/bin and a rock on the same tile, maybe there were just some barrels there you didn't see.

Yeah, often you can just see the rock, and can only find the barrel when you 'k' over it.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:41 pm »

built furnature also ends up being marked for dump

Yeah, as do the stones used to build workshops, bridges, and other buildings. It doesn't affect anything while the building is built; deconstructing it may result in a bunch of building materials to be dumped, or it may clear the designation. I'm not sure. Either way, it makes no difference as long as you leave your workshops and dining rooms around.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

DevHyfes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 12:06:17 am »

Hi,

I just had a similar problem (On the latest v39f). I did the mass dump, and then noticed that I had some bins in the stockpile. I went in and manually "Un-Designated" the bins. However, my dwarves still go in and pull the leather out of the bin and dump it. When I inspect the Bin's they don't have the pink d next to them, even though the dwarves continue to head down to the pit and happily throw the leather away.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 03:32:36 am »

However, my dwarves still go in and pull the leather out of the bin and dump it.
The dump, melt, and forbid designations designate both the container and everything in them. If you hit enter on an item in the bin (if any are left), you'll see a pink d there.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 01:13:25 pm »

However, my dwarves still go in and pull the leather out of the bin and dump it.
The dump, melt, and forbid designations designate both the container and everything in them.

Yep, this is to prevent the previous* unwanted behavior of designating an area and the bins getting dumped, then the items inside getting pulled out and put back.

*ok, so it was never a feature, but it was a concern back when we were discussing the possibility of a mass-dump option.