Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 dwarves, father and son, defend a fortress for 200 years  (Read 2641 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
2 dwarves, father and son, defend a fortress for 200 years
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:35:43 pm »

I have my game modded to be a bit more realistic, dwarves can live around 400 years and elves around 800, goblins 50-70 and kobolds only 10-30.

The demon Osta Dietombs was leader of the goblin civilization, the Deceiver of Burials; it spanned 6 Dark Fortresses and numbered countless goblins and their abducted elves, dwarves, and humans. The nearby elven civilizations were quickly overwhelmed by the nearby expanding humans, leaving the goblins to be quite close to the 3 dwarven fortresses nearby. Closest to them all, and tucked away in a narrow mountain valley was Roundarches.

Roundarches was a bustling metropolis, the center of the dwarven civilization, the Inks of Biting. The first recorded abduction occured in 392, but the child was reunited in 393. There were 4 more abductions from Roundarches after that. Starting in 710 the Deceiver of Burials declared war on the Inks of Biting, swarming over every dwarven fortress. The war was called "The Conflict of Craziness".

Lor Lancecovered was the leader of Roundarches at the time, but as there were 2 goblin forts to every 1 dwarven fort, the goblins kept making attack after attack on the dwarves and whittling down their numbers. Roundarches was hit especially hard as it was in range of 3 of the goblin forts. In 829, however, Catten Honorglazed, Lor's son, shot and killed Osta Dietombs the demon during one of the sieges. This must have made the goblins particularly angry because they swarmed over that fortress repeatedly afterwards. After 4 such sieges it was down to only two: Lor Lancecovered and Catten Honorglazed, his son. They successfully defended Roundarches for the next 200 years alone with no help, tallying up hundreds of kills, mostly of goblin-bred dwarves and elves. Finally in 1030 the fortress was swarmed with hundreds of goblins.

At this point Catten Honorglazed had dueled with the goblin leader and won, but a random elf slave, Aslot Raysnightmares, struck him down, so it was Lor Lancecovered alone who had to defend the fortress. He lasted a few more years before the fortress was conquered. Luckily, Lor fled into the nearby The Free Mountains, using his intuitive ranger knowledge to make his way to Gearblunts, a new fortress that had sprung up a few decades earlier. He settled there 20 years after the death of his son and died of old age, 178 notable kills and 407 other kills to his name.  :'(

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 dwarves, father and son, defend a fortress for 200 years
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 01:10:43 pm »

What type of weapons did they use, or is that not said?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:11:50 pm »

Wow, that's a cool story, and another example of how awesome the new worldgen histories are.  I can't wait until Toady makes world level events keep happening during play.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:16:23 pm »

What type of weapons did they use, or is that not said?

Catten must have been using a crossbow, since he got a ton of 'shot and killed' messages. He must have been a hell of a shot because one of his first kills was a freaking 800-year-old demon. As for Lor I have no idea, since it doesn't say, but it's not a crossbow since he had no shooting messages.

Oh, and neither of them were injured at any time, Catten was killed instantly and Lor ran away from the destruction of Roundarches without a scratch.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:08:58 pm »

He must have been a hell of a shot because one of his first kills was a freaking 800-year-old demon.
I'd say that's worthy of an inscription or two; and a few thousand years of drunken dwarfsong.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:16:15 pm »

"Gold gold gold gold gold,
Gold, gold gold gold, gold
Gold, goldgold, gold gold
Gold."

Just a little song to commemorate the slaying of an 800 year old demon with a crossbow.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 10:18:37 pm »

Life, in a word, is the slaying of an 800 year-old demon with a crossbow.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 10:33:32 pm »

I have my game modded to be a bit more like D&D, dwarves can live around 400 years and elves around 800, goblins 50-70 and kobolds only 10-30.

Fixed.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 01:28:08 am »

"Gold gold gold gold gold,
Gold, gold gold gold, gold
Gold, goldgold, gold gold
Gold."

Just a little song to commemorate the slaying of an 800 year old demon with a crossbow.

Ooh, thee has to be a dwarf named Glod somewhere. So that everything you touch can be turned to Glod.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 08:34:21 am »

The story is really good. It would be more epic if you could find him in the adventure mode, recruit him and kill a goblin elf who slew his son.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:50:15 pm »

I really want to make a Discworld mod now.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 08:44:55 pm »

Epic. Simply epic.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 05:26:16 am »

I have my game modded to be a bit more like D&D, dwarves can live around 400 years and elves around 800, goblins 50-70 and kobolds only 10-30.

Fixed.

Actually D&D kobolds live to be 200 years old, but usually only make it to around 5 or 6, due to the fact that they don't employ proper safety regulations when they mine, and have a habit of getting eaten by dragons and slaughtered by well-equipped adventurers.

at least they did in 3.5, according to Races of the Dragon.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 07:02:22 am »

My point was that it had nothing to do with realism.  They're mythical creatures with either no supposed lifespan or at least no widely accepted lifespan (in other words, some small group of people in some random corner of the globe may have some old fairy tale that assigns them one).  Realistic my ass.  :P

I only named D&D because IIRC those are roughly the lifespans of dwarves, elves (not high elves, of course), and orcs respectively.  I've never seen a number for kobolds, but neither have I looked for one.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:40 am »

I have my game modded to be a bit more realistic, dwarves can live around 400 years and elves around 800, goblins 50-70 and kobolds only 10-30.

The demon Osta Dietombs was leader of the goblin civilization, the Deceiver of Burials; it spanned 6 Dark Fortresses and numbered countless goblins and their abducted elves, dwarves, and humans. The nearby elven civilizations were quickly overwhelmed by the nearby expanding humans, leaving the goblins to be quite close to the 3 dwarven fortresses nearby. Closest to them all, and tucked away in a narrow mountain valley was Roundarches.

Roundarches was a bustling metropolis, the center of the dwarven civilization, the Inks of Biting. The first recorded abduction occured in 392, but the child was reunited in 393. There were 4 more abductions from Roundarches after that. Starting in 710 the Deceiver of Burials declared war on the Inks of Biting, swarming over every dwarven fortress. The war was called "The Conflict of Craziness".

Lor Lancecovered was the leader of Roundarches at the time, but as there were 2 goblin forts to every 1 dwarven fort, the goblins kept making attack after attack on the dwarves and whittling down their numbers. Roundarches was hit especially hard as it was in range of 3 of the goblin forts. In 829, however, Catten Honorglazed, Lor's son, shot and killed Osta Dietombs the demon during one of the sieges. This must have made the goblins particularly angry because they swarmed over that fortress repeatedly afterwards. After 4 such sieges it was down to only two: Lor Lancecovered and Catten Honorglazed, his son. They successfully defended Roundarches for the next 200 years alone with no help, tallying up hundreds of kills, mostly of goblin-bred dwarves and elves. Finally in 1030 the fortress was swarmed with hundreds of goblins.

At this point Catten Honorglazed had dueled with the goblin leader and won, but a random elf slave, Aslot Raysnightmares, struck him down, so it was Lor Lancecovered alone who had to defend the fortress. He lasted a few more years before the fortress was conquered. Luckily, Lor fled into the nearby The Free Mountains, using his intuitive ranger knowledge to make his way to Gearblunts, a new fortress that had sprung up a few decades earlier. He settled there 20 years after the death of his son and died of old age, 178 notable kills and 407 other kills to his name.  :'(

Epic.  :)
DF is getting better and better all the time, I am really amazed.