Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods III :: Turn 2 :: Please join! (but STILL under construction.)  (Read 12453 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

The game has begun, but is still under development so anything can happen.
If you are approved (see statistics post) you may begin posting what your god does and how it bring snacks and places its pieces on the board and so on, also you may now post your first turn!
This post:

Welcome to Battle of the Gods III!
The official successor of Battle of the Gods II, and hopefully will turn into just as griping a tale.

Relevant links are:
Rule discussion for BotG3: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20215.0
BotG2: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19241.0
BotG I: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=646.0

We are ALWAYS in the need of more players, and space is plenty, please join!

Oh, and everyone involved in the game or wanting to join are very welcome to the IRC chanel to discus it. (go to http://www.worldirc.org/index.php?page=webchat then type in '/join #BotG' , or just click this: irc://irc.worldirc.org/#BotG )

-----
List of what these different reserved posts will be for:
  • Introduction to the game concept/greeting/rules
  • Space reserved for Akroma in her position as vice main, so that if I die the game might go on and still have a first post to update.
  • General game statistics, timeline and list of players and so on, populations and settlements and such things.
  • The main map of the board to be updated whit everything, possible more maps and other stuff if that gets added.
  • The initial RP, about the gods, the multiverse, the board,, and how I, Armok, starts the game.
  • And another post reserved in case I have forgotten something.
  • After that it’s the actual game I hope.

This post will most likely get expended.

Rules for Battle of the Gods III:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is meant to be played for fun. Keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:59:54 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods III (Under construction)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:07:24 am »

space reserved for whatever
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:08:18 am »

Players:

Player Symbols:

Game Masters:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:58:23 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:10:21 am »

# large extremly visible structure, maybe even visible from space, maybe a ruined city or really huge affected area
? clerly visible ruin, like a monument or temple
& hiden/underground arteficial ruin
¤ a landmark or intresting terain feture, like a large open unihabited cave to build in, a great waterfall, a cliff looking like something, a seculed area perfect for a  hiden city, etc.
$ a natural adventuring feture for a lack of a better word, a dragons lair or a cave full of strange creatures, not created by intelegent creatures but likely to housemonsters and tresure.

to make the map appear like this, us a [tt ] tag (without the space)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:39:34 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:13:41 am »

BotG III multiverse introduction:
10^N Googolplexes of universes:

Tacticus:

The Board:

((Please note that:
The “uncivilized people afraid of both magic and tech” is NOT player races (unless you want to take a race I design and that is underpowered), it is monsters, dragons, and maybe some tribal goblin/kobold like things.
Player races should preferably be transported to the board by their gods, or work something out whit me over IRC or maybe PMs.
Prometheus did that, the Iraxi is one of the great empires mentioned, hose that died out 80 000 years ago…
Please not that despite the many notes of “let the game begin” and “it has started” in this post it is still a bit left, but not much.))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:59:52 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:14:22 am »

reserved.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:03:16 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

coelocanth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:35:02 pm »

List of Settlements
List of Groups
Population Cap & Growth for each race
Movement Table
List of Players/Civilisations
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:37:40 pm by coelocanth »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »

a reserved bump

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »

((Ok, I have no thought for a while about why I shouldn't announce the first turn, and found no overly compelling reason.
so...))
Let There Be Battle of the Gods III!!! :D
Turn 1, Spring:

((Please note that this start might be a bit premature, and that the turn may end up longer than the standard two days.
There are various bigger and smaller tasks left to do to... But I cant just hold myself any longer now we DO this!
Still, if you are very weary of never having to change a written word or are paranoid of anything happen like me, you might still want to wait until I announce standard schedule.
Among the things left to do is to figure out exactly who is the different GMs after all the arguing, but for now it is safe to assume that my word is law and that Akroma is usualy wise to listen to.))

((Freelock; Ipertians; Fenneth; [APPROVED]
as long as what we said on the IRC is kept))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:10:53 am by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

First post in the new game!

I just wanted to know if i can join in?

Im not as good at RP as you guys are and i REALLY suck at making civs, organizations or adventurers, so can someone make me one if they can, cause I really want to get stuck in!

I may need some help from time to time as I learn the game, so anything you do will help immensly!

If you do make a civ for me, i prefer some kind of dwarf or hardy human.

Best of luck with the game!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

((I don't think anyone would mind another player, but I don't think you're going to find anyone willing to go through the trouble of making an entire civilization just for you.  Instead of a civilization, why don't you try making a group or a single adventurer.  Look at the OOC thread and talk about it there.  Also join us on the IRC (see top of page).))
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile

Reyleen Ach'Medarath, Elchmistress of the Elchandaar Tower, surveyed the assembled Mages on the field, in front of the place where the portal was to be opened. There were nearly 200 of them, 200 who had answered to the summons of the Purple Seal. She noticed the half-demon Pyromancer impatiently looking around. He was visibly displeased to be in a robe, but it was a formal occasion.

She wondered if it was the right time to send mages on exploration on another world. The Demon War was already heavily taxing the Tower's resources. The Demons... It was after an assault on one of their fortresses that they had recovered the old parchment which told how to reach the world where the mages were being sent. She was worried that it could easily be a trap, but it was true that the opportunity could not be ignored.

"I know it was a difficult decision, Your Highness." said Kerzon, the Grandmaster Diviner, "We both know that we will never see these mages again."

"You have seen the future, Kerzon. Are you sure there is no onther way ? These mages could make the difference in our current war."

"They may help us gain victory faster, but if we do not send them away now, the future of the Tower will look bleak."

The Elchmistress sighed heavily and nodded towards another group of a hundred Displacers. Their leader nodded back and they all started gathering the flows into the right shape. Tiny yellow particles of magic, like tiny grains of dust, began assembling in the middle of the group. A sphere grew there, as if it was fed by the particles.

As the sphere grew larger, an image could be distinguished in the middle of it : a forest bordering an expanse of water. The Displacers then began getting the portal into the right shape. Slowly the sphere thinned, until it looked like a lens. Then it sank slowly into the ground. Finally, the leader of the Displacers turned toward the Elchmistress and nodded. In turn, she motionned for the mages to enter the portal.

"Farewell", she whispered between clenched teeth.
=============================================

The army of mages slowly walked out of the portal on the other side. They were followed by a huge floating chest, at least the size of a man. The portal slowly closed behind them.

The appointed leader of the assembly, a Druid, smiled and took out a small enveloppe from his robes. He broke the Purple Seal on it and finally read the orders they were all expected to carry out. His smile quickly vanished and his face became deathly pale. The letter fell out of his hands, to be caught by a nearby Geomancer. He read out loud a very interesting passage of it :

"'Your orders are simple : assert the presence of the Tower and investigate the world. No help will be sent during the first ten millenia.' So it's a survive and survey thing." he commented "Well, since we will be here for a very long time, we might as well choose our leaders and-"

He interrupted his sentence and looked downward. There was a long stone spike protruding from his chest. He dropped dead without a further sound. All assembled Mages slowly looked at each other, while the 8 Runeblades, knowing full well what was going to happen next, moved away from the assembly. Then all Hell broke loose.

Fire, lightning, earthquakes, tidal waves and worse began killing the Mages one by one. Or ten by ten in some extreme cases. Calcinated, decapitated, dismembered, pierced, electrified, unnaturally aged to death, entangled then compressed and otherwise killed Mages began to litter the ground.

A few hours later a small wind rose from the sea and drove away the fog of the battle. A few Mages were still left standing. One of them, a Chronomancer, slowly looked around, picked up a stick and held it out. A few seconds later, another Chronomancer appeared at the spot where the stick was and noticed the above-mentionned item protruding from where his heart should have been.

"Trying to move forward in time, old 'friend' ?" said the mage holding the stick before his 'friend' died.

He then looked around. There were 15 other mages left standing and none of them was wearing the same School colors as the others. That was good. They were now enough to start a fresh leadership and to claim the titles of Grandmasters. Without talking to each other, they acted on a common accord and opened the floating chest, while taking good care of standing as far away as possible from it.

Something started to come out of the chest. It was small at first, then slowly grew larger. It ended up as a tall tower, and it came fully equipped with what was necessary to a mage in those foreign parts : laboratories, libraries and sleeping quarters.
================================

In the following days the surviving Grandmasters drew the roll of the first members of the Tower in this new world.

'On the year 187342 of the Tower Calendar the following people were appointed to the mentionned positions on the world of Seristis, newly placed under Tower jurisdiction.

Of the Principle of Creation
Elestris Eth'Vindelar, Grandmaster Hydromancer, Lost Elf
Akrashah Tal'Resh Kraroch, Grandmistress Healer, Leotaur
Athan Fyrkus, Grandmaster Binder, Highblood
Sekhfar Lalantis, Grandmaster Illusionist, Mixblood

Of the Principle of Change
Selene Tirmisthan, Grandmistress Displacer, Highblood
Jaleen Excelmarth, Grandmistress Aeromancer, Pureblood
Shugak, Grandmaster Transmuter, Gnome
Lithios, Grandmaster Chronomancer, Vampire

Of the Principle of Balance
Kirlin Ach'Verdath, Grandmistress Druid, Lost Elf
Sendar Goldsmith, Grandmaster Geomancer, Dwarf
Sirilanai Eth'Mertallar, Grandmaster Diviner, Lost Elf
Xanthis the Eraser, Grandmaster Psychomancer, Lich

Of the Principle of Destruction
Carvanil the Plagued, Grandmaster Necromancer, Lich
Werelath Ach'Orlindis, Grandmistress Illuminator, Lost Elf
Ostralin, Grandmistress Noctalist, Vampire
Dazhmar, Grandmaster Pyromancer, Mixblood

Of the Most Respectable Order of the Elchandaar Tower Runeblades
Karkish Rezhak Rohkarsharel, Leotaur
Partavel, Vampire
Morticia, Vampire
Inifius, Vampire
Gregor Travis, Graveborn
Joshua Verbasit, Graveborn
Alexius Sivrail, Highblood
Unroe Maxalli, Highblood

By the approval of those assembled and under the delegated supreme authority of Reyleen Ach'Medarath, Elchmistress of the Elchandaar Aurea Tower'
===================================

A few days later the most curious mages set to work. Sirilanai prepared a whole arsenal of crystal balls, mirrors and runes and set off to scrying the land around the island where the Tower ended up. He was planning to scry the flow of Divination magic to find if there were nearby settlements or places of strong magic.

First he prodded the south, as it was where civilization had appeared on their homeworld. This time, unfortunately he felt no unnatural bend in the flow.

Then he tried north, the direction which lets magic flow more freely. Again, no result.

The next direction was east, the direction of the unknown and of the surprising. Yet again, no result.

Finally, west, from where the Elchandaar Empire had sprung up and conquered the world. This time he felt a strong pull, a very strong one. There was something in that direction, and it was very powerful. It bent and twisted the flow. It warranted investigation.

He tried to survey the place using his mirrors and crystal balls, but unfortunately his power was not yet great enough to see over such a long distance. There was no way he could compare to Kerzon who could even see the far away future.

The west would require more detailed examination.
==============================

A few days later, two expeditions were assembled. One would head south, because it felt like a good direction. Elestris, Morticia and Karkish would go that way. They would blindly go where no one had gone before.

The other expedition would head west, to find out what causes the disturbance in the flow. This one would be larger : Jaleen, Sendar, Dazhmar, Partavel, Inifius and Gregor.

Both expeditions departed the same day. And both used the same way of transportation. Elestris used his mastery over water to create an iceberg, while Jaleen did the same using air. And they all set off to explore the unknown.
===============================

Selene meanwhile began to draw runes and circles on heavy stones set around the area which was now the Tower's. These runes would prevent anyone from teleporting in from outside the runed area. Later she would also prepare a large platform to serve as a support for portals, when they would need those to move around the world.

((The main HQ consists of only one building : a single tower with a large entrance. The tower has a radius of 150m and a height of 500m. Images later. There is also a teleportation pad in construction on water. Images above.))
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈¤≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♠♠♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ $♠⌂♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠ ♠⌂≈¤┘≈t≈ ≈≈≈T¤≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠ ⌂▲⌂?♠≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ┌○⌂♠♠≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ │$⌂♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♠♠♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│64                                                                     
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♠♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈t≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♠♠≈≈ ≈≈≈♠└┐≈≈
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈♠?♠#≈ ≈≈♠♠♠#─┐
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈♠♠♠└┐ ♠♠?♠♠♠♠└
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈#♠♠♠├ ┐♠♠#♠#♠♠
│≈≈≈≈≈♠≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♠?♠│ └#♠♠?♠♠♠
│72     
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:10:33 am by Istrian »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And so it came, that the gods sat down for yet another game. For fame ? Out of boredom ? Little did they know...

From the depths of hell, so deep that neigher light, nor even the warmth coming from the eternal fires of the everburning furnaces of torture, a single entity once again, creeped into the light of the multiverse. Cocytus this place was called, the ever frozen hearth of hell, and Nagarach was it's lord. For the last 3000 millenia, his icy shadow was cast across the land, grasping it with his long, skeletonfingers, in a steely grip that no land ever escaped from. Thousands of planets, and even more souls were permanently trapped, tranformed into his servants. He had taken on the battle of battles. The battle against all creation. The amound of sous is limited, and ever has been, and this is, why one day, creation would surely perish. His time, once again, grew near.

The heavens... will tremble...

---------------------------

With a sound like a whip ripping through flesh, the portal closed behind the last survivors of the Nacka-Rachti. They were hunt into extinction, and fleeing from the old world took the last of them. Their cruel master demanded the live of 300 of them, in exchange for a safe harbour. And now, only 65 of them remained, in this unknown, hostile world. But their will to fight on, shall never be broken...

Curious looks were going through the eyes of the tribe. They were stranded in a forest, thick with ground vegetation, trees whichs leaves had an unknown shape. Birds were singing songs never heard before, and it hurt their ears. It had rained lately, and through the everlasting chill of the frozen skull, the woods were slowly overgrown with a white veil of frost. Withing that mass of confused eyes, it was only one who did not hesitate.
Celsius was kneeling next to a thorny bush, inspecting droppings on the ground. Suddenly she, raised her voice.

"Herbivores, about 120-150 kilogramms, probably wandering the forest in groups. They were here only 3 hours ago."

She pointed her finger at the elders, without even looking at them.

"You will summon a swarm of the crystaldragonflies. Scout the complete terrain for a month or so, then let them return and start manufacturing a map."

Now she pointed her fingers at a group of civilians, again, not even turning the head in their general direction.

"You will check out what is left of our belongings. Replace everything we have lost. And you..."
Now she was pointing at the hunters.
"follow me"

With that, she swung her bow over her shoulder, spear into her hand, and speed of into the forest, before the others could even react.

"Okay then, we don't want to lose any time, right ?" The leader of the elders stepped forward, broke some ice from a frozen puddle, and placed it infront of him. With a small stone knife, he scratched a 7 pointed star into the ground, around the shard of ice, and without hesitation, like it was nothing, cut open his finger, letting small drops of blood rain unto the ice. Chanting words that were neither elven nor human tounge, nor any tounge spoken in any world of creation, in front of his eyes the ice began to form, like on does form clay. Slowly, the features became sharper, clearer. Legs, addorned with the tiniest of hooks broke out of the frozen mass, wings thiner than a hair, and yet filled with a fine pattern shaped by tiny veins. A dragonfly, beautiful, and yet a mockery of creation. A mere corruption of the original. When close to you, it could never hide it's hideousness from your eyes. The eyes, these fishernet marbles, now an empty ball of glass. How it could see, a mystery. But it could see, I tell you. You could feel it looking at you, it stares through you, like looking through empty air and you can feel it. And the mouths, adorned with tiny, hairy, feelers, that would not hold still for the blink of an eye. Between them, jaw completely unlike the original. The jaws of a human, shrunken to a tiny crystal denture, jammed into a gapping hole of it's skull.
Opening these cruel jaws, the abomination rose it's voice, sounding as human as any, speaking in clear, dialect free elven.

"What is my task, my master ?"

---------------------------------
The Settlement consists of a loose group of big Hemispherical tents made of leather, wood and bone. The Nacka-Rachti just place them as they please, so there is no deeper order in it, however the biggest tents, the tent of the elders, is usually in the middle, containing the artifact. Amongst the tents you will find quite a number of wooden wagons, which double as store-room, and sometimes as a workshop. They are designed in a fashion that they can be pulled by Kharmanathi.
They spent the 6 weeks reconstructing what was left on the other side and restocking on many basic supplies.
They also store lots of meat in frozen blocks, for times when they have to travel through terrain without much wildlife.
---------------------------------

((the tribe arrives in the new world, and summons a group of 3 dozen of these dragonflies, and send them to scout the area. Because they are so many, i will not add them to the map. Next turn they will retun and start drawing a map of everyting in a 23 tile radius. The river source to the west is affected by the artifact and frozen over, meaning that the river coming from it is currently running very very low, almost dry. As a result, the lake it fuels is standing lower than ever. I believe the Ipetians wanted to settle there, so it is relevant to mention it. I will only mention the effect of the eternal winter when it is relevant))

│≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣ ♣♣♣♣⌂▲▲⌂ ⌂├┘⌂$▲○─ ──┘?≈≈≈≈  ≈♣♣≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣♣♣│└┐ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈─ ○┌┘♣≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣ ♣♣♣⌂⌂▲$⌂ ♣│⌂⌂▲^$⌂ ♣♣&♣$≈≈≈  ≈≈♣≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣♣♣│♣≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣ $│♣♣≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈♣♣┌ ─┐♣⌂$▲⌂♣ ♣└≈⌂⌂&⌂♣ ♣♣♣♣♣♣?≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣♣♣│♣≈ ≈≈≈≈..♣♣ ○┘♣≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈──┘ ♣└─○▲▲⌂♣ ♣♣│♣♣⌂○┐ ♣♣╞╞♣♣♣♣  ♣≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ♣♣♣$♣│≈≈ ≈≈≈..♣♣$ ⌂♣♣≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈♣♣♣♣ ♣♣♣⌂▲$⌂♣ ♣♣│♣♣♣⌂│ ♣╞√√√♣♣♣  ♣♣?≈≈≈≈♣ ♣♣♣♣♣└≈≈ ≈≈≈───○▲ ⌂♣♣≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣ ♣┌─○⌂⌂♣♣ ♣♣└┐♣♣♣│ ♣♣√#√♣$♣  ♣♣♣♣$│¤♣ ♣♣♣♣♣♣≈≈ ≈≈.♣¤⌂▲⌂ ♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈♣♣♣♣┌ ─┘♣┌○⌂♣N ♣♣♣└┐&♣└ ┐♣√√√♣♣&  ♣♣&♣♣└┐≈ ≈♣♣♣♣♣≈≈ ≈≈.┌≈○⌂♣ ♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈♣♣┌┘ ♣♣♣│⌂♣♣♣ ♣♣$♣≈≈≈♣ │♣♣♣♣♣♣♣  ♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈♣♣♣≈≈ ≈≈─┘⌂▲⌂♣ ♣≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│40                                                                      │

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:39:19 am by Akroma »

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

It came to the ears of Xar that the Battle of the Gods had begun. Initially it did not hold much interest in him, but when he saw the board, he knew he would join in.
From the darkness of the void, he emerged. A large, dark mass with three eyes set in a triangular pattern, surrounded by clawed tentacles, the Watcher from Beneath slithered his way across the hall. He took his time, because he knew it would make him look more solemn. Once he arrived at the board, however, the effect suffered as he placed a masterfully crafted aluminum cabinet next to a pillar. It was opened. A light winked on inside, revealing a large variety of refridgerated foods, most rare beyond imagining, some defying reason and logic. Among all those was crumpets, nestled between hoary marmot roast and cat tallow biscuits.

"I believe you requested snacks?"

-

A while later, Xar lounged on one of the thrones, holding a glass of Sunshine and peering at the board.
"There's been some changes around from when I last set eyes on this world. A few dozen millenia does that to planets with life and/or active weather."
His eyes focused on a certain area on the southern continent.
"Interesting. I'd have thought they would have gone the way of all the other great empires of the time. It does look like they won't last long at that rate."
He pulled a small metal object from thin air, holding it above the board. A small metal figurine crawled out to grasp the object with a number of tentacles.
"This should help them a bit. It'd be such a shame to see such a promising creation go to waste because of no fault of their own."
The spot where the figurine stands is in the following spot:

│64                                                                      │
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♠♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈♠♠  $♠♠┌┘♠♠♠ ⌂⌂♠│♠♠♠♠ ♠$♠♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈t≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈♠♠♠  ┌──┘♠♠♠♠ ♠⌂♠└┐♠$♠ ♠♠♠♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♠≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♠┌──  ┘♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠│♠♠♠ ♠♠♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈♠?♠♠≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♠♠≈≈ ≈≈≈♠└┐≈≈ ≈≈&┌─┘♠♠  ♠♠♠♠♠¤¤$ ♠♠♠♠└┐♠♠ ♠♠♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♠⌂▲○─≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈♠?♠#≈ ≈≈♠♠♠#─┐ ♠♠┌┘♠♠♠♠  ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠⌂¤├┐♠ ♠♠≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈?▲^▲?≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈♠♠♠└┐ ♠♠?♠♠♠♠└ ─&┘♠♠♠&♠  ♠♠♠$♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠≈┘│♠ ♠♠♠≈≈≈≈≈ ┌─○▲⌂≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈#♠♠♠├ ┐♠♠I♠#♠♠ ♠?♠#♠♠♠♠  ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ $♠♠♠│♠└┐ ♠$♠♠♠♠≈≈ ┘♠$♠≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈♠≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♠?♠│ └#♠♠?♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠~  ~~~♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠│♠♠└ ┐♠♠♠♠≈≈≈ ≈?≈≈≈≈≈≈│

-

Meanwhile in a dark chamber, deep underground...
"Would you stand up straight for once?"
"Nothing ever happens around here and nobody ever comes around to check on us. Why shouldn't I take the opportunity for rest?"
"This is an important assignment! We watch over the vault of the Emperor until the day he returns an-"
"Yeah yeah, heard it a thousand times already. You keep reminding me every five minutes and keeping me awake."
"Don't you care at all about doing your job?"
"The Emperor didn't exactly give us a date as to when he returns. Who knows if we'll still be guarding the vault when he wakes up? 'sides, it's been, what, five or six thousand years? You really think he's still even alive?"
"But-"
"Also, suppose he does come back. You can just wake me up once that happens. Just let me have my freakin' nap. Sheesh. No wonder nobody wanted to work the same shif-"
The two Iraxi guardsmen froze when a loud, grinding noise came from behind them. The vault door, sealed for thousands of years, was opening. It ground to a halt. The dust settled. The guardsmen were still staring at the door, shocked. Then they looked at each other. A furious scrabbling ensued as they tried to make themselves presentable, putting on those damned uncomfortable helmets, picking up their glaives and fastening armor straps. They were so busy that they were caught off guard by a calm voice.
"Oh, is there some important event coming up?"
The pair froze again, turning to look at the third Irax that had appeared in the doorway. It was wearing a fine mantle, with flowing, wide strips of silky material hanging down the sides. Its shell was apparently carved with strange patterns and symbols. It held in its tentacles a large staff of an unknown, dark metal. It is masterfully crafted, with engraved glyphs and sigils, glowing blue. What struck them most, however, was the third eye.
The guard complaining about lack of rest promptly fainted, collapsing into a pile of quivering tentacles with a clatter.
The Eternal Emperor looked down at the unconscious Irax and shook his head in an amused fashion. Then it turned to the one left standing, who was overcome with a sense of fulfilled duty. He had been at least partially attentive when the Emperor awoke!
"Would you kindly show me the way outside? I am feeling like some sunlight."
The guard found himself unable to speak, and just nodded.

Outside, on the upper tiers of the Great Library, the Emperor looked at the surrounding terrain. It was different, but he hadn't expected things to stay exactly the same. The jungle looked like it was thriving. What wasn't thriving was the thing that worried him most. He saw the great city of Ehn'gha, in ruins. This had been quite unexpected. The Eternal Empire had been thriving when he last saw them. For them to have lost their very heart would have needed a disaster of cataclysmic proportions. Or a slow, slow stagnating death. He knew better to ask the guard. He was young, and apparently not very well versed in history. History. What he remembered like yesterday was ancient history to this generation.

No turning back now, he thought, and set off for the ruins of Ehn'gha, to try and see if he could fix things up a little.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:27:46 am by Prometheus »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BotG3: The Renegades: Turn 1: Stormy Beginning
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 06:11:03 am »

As thunder boomed over the sailing ship's masts,  the ship's deck was brimming with agitation. People ran from bow to stern, from port side to starboard side, shouting at the top of their voices to be heard over the howling winds. People slammed into each other, into the masts, the sides, people tried to fix this, but something on the other side broke and smashed into the hull. In all that utter chaos, nothing seemed to be accoplished, and the ship's crew were starting to panic.

"Fools," muttered Poltifar. Standing on the furthest point of the ship's bow, and in complete balance, never shifting whatever the storm threw at him, however the ship rocked and shook. Staring straight ahead into the raging sea, he needn't even look back to know the deck was in great commotion. Well, he hadn't fought the Klang Empire against all odds, and then sailed through a seeming unnending sea, just to be smashed against a damned rock in this pathetic storm.

Suddenly, seeing a looming shadow to his left, Poltifar called out, "Ernest, large reef off port bow. You know what to do."

Ernest Windwalker, the air mage of the party, barely skidding to a stop from his running spree, called out, "I do?!?"

"Dammit! Just summon a wind barrier you idiot!"

And at the last moment before the boat hit the reef, Ernest made the few fast gestured and murmured an incantation that sollidified the air to port side into the consistency of jelly, and then shaped it into a bowl to protect the ship and turn it away from the reef.

Still muttering curses from  his standing point on the bow, Poltifar still looked ahead, waiting for any signs of land. Instead, a huge shadow, bigger than the one of the reef appeared. "Oh great. Its just MY luck. A giant stone smack in the middle of the ocean, and right in our way. Hmm, maybe I should just let this forsaken boat slam into it. I could easily continue my journey afoot..."

"Afoot? In the middle of a storming sea?!" cried Ernest, "and what about the rest of us???"

"Yes, I guess I can't waste you people yet. You might still turn out useful. Then I'll have to do this the easy way."

Finally shifting from his position, Poltifar gestured an elaborate and confusing gesture, while incanting, in a voice seeming distant and yet booming, clearly hearable even through the storm, echoing through the night, "Fire of the heavenly sun, Water of the ocean depths, Wind of the raging storm, Earth of the ancient mountains... Elements of the one Creation, binded by my will, come forth and bring destruction, and let Chaos reign!"

An otherworldy ripple sprung forth from his extended hand, seeming to twist and bend the world all around the ship, and when it hit the huge boulder, it seemed to shake and twist, to be ripped apart by the wind, to fall to pieces, to melt into magma, to be swallowed by giant waves... All of these effects and more brought down the boulder, yet none of them did. All of them shattered the rock, all at ounce yet individually. That is how an observer saw the effects, impossible to understand and to describe.

The ripples didn't only affect the stone. The bow of the ship, and other parts of it, also bended and twisted, and the sound of wood cracking mangled with the sounds of the storm and that of the breaking stone. Yet Poltifar still stared ahead, his hand extended, and laughing maniacally. The world seemed to shift, and suddenly, the ship smashed into land, till now unseen in the storm...

∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=∞=

The next day,  the temporary camp made were the ship had landed was buzzing with activity. Poltifar was overseeing it all, and at the same time thinking of what he was to do. This seemed the perfect place to start a civilization independant from the now far Klang Empire, yet only one ship had survived. Atleast this ship had all the greatest and most powerful members of the Renegades. Other than that, they also needed to know the layout of the land, and also wether there were any other sentient creatures nearby. He couldn't afford to lose any member of the group, so he couldn't send out scouts just yet, instead he ordered the construcion of temporary watch posts that could see far away from high in the the treetops, and asked all mages that had any power in divination to use it, although they were few and there power in that school of magic limited.

"Hey," said Seandar Ironfist, the old and battle-scared swordmaster of the group, "Its no time to be daydreamin' now, Polti. Being the leader doesn't make you excluded from the work."

"Stop calling me that," Said Poltifar absently, "And besides who are you to tell ME what to do?"

"Ha, that attitude of yours is gotta change if you want to be a truly great leader, ya know."

"I never asked to be anyone's leader. All I want is power, and magical knowledge and artifacts. If I couldn't use you buffoons to further my end, I'd have abandoned you all long ago."

"Well, if getting rid of us is what you wanted, you almost managed it when you used that spell of yours in that storm. I'm no mage and all, but I'm sure that that spell was a bit overkill for a single boulder. You should definitely be more careful from now on."

But Poltifar wasn't listening anymore. He had felt something different since using that spell, something strange in the flow of magic. Now he knew. His spell, combined with the natural powers unleashed by the storm, had shifted them all into another reality, another world. Atleast there was no fear of being followed by the Empire here. Even better, he could feel strong magic in this new world. Powerful new magic, that would soon be his to command. Poltifar silently chuckled.

│40                                                                      │
│≈≈≈≈─┬┘♣ ♣♣┌┘⌂♣♣♣ ♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣♣♣&♣♣  ♣♣♣?≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♣♣≈≈ ≈≈♣♣⌂▲$♣ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈♣│♣♣ ♣♣│♣♣♣$♣ ♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈.♣♣$♣♣  ♣&♣♣≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♣♣≈≈ ≈♣♣⌂▲⌂♣♣ ≈≈≈♣≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈┘♣♣ ♣♣│⌂♣♣♣♣ ♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈.?♣♣♣♣  ♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈♣≈≈≈ ≈──○⌂♣♣≈ ≈≈$♣≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈♣$♣ ♣♣≈≈¤♣♣♣ ♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈.#♣♣♣  ♣$♣♣♣?≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣$▲○─≈≈ ≈♣⌂≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣ .≈≈≈≈≈♣♣ ♣≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.&♣  ♣♣♣♣♣.≈≈ ≈≈≈♣≈≈≈≈ ≈♣⌂⌂♣♣≈≈ ≈♣♣≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣ ♣..≈≈♣♣♣ ♣≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣  ♣♣&♣♣..≈ ≈.♣♣≈≈≈≈ ≈┌○♣♣≈≈≈ ≈♣≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣ ♣♣♣♣│♣♣♣ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣  ♣♣♣♣♣♣.. .♣♣$♣≈≈≈ ─┘♣♣≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣ ♣♣♣♣└┐♣≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣  ♣≈≈≈≈♣.. .○⌂♣♣≈≈≈ ♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│48                                                                      │
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣ ♣♣$♣♣│.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈r  ≈≈≈≈≈≈.. ┌┘♣.≈≈≈≈ ♣≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ♣♣♣♣♣└≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈.. │..≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ♣♣♣♣♣.≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈. │.≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ~~~≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣♣.≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈~ √#√~≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣$♣≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈..$ ♣≈≈≈≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈~ √√√~≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈♣♣♣≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈.. .│≈≈≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ¤≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ~~~≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈♣♣≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ .○⌂¤≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈≈♠♠ ┌┘♠≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈♣≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈  ≈≈≈≈≈$♠┌ ┘♠♠♠≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈│
│56                                                                      │

Members of the Renegades:

-Poltifar Chaoswielder: Master of all arcane secrets known to the Renegades and some not, he is one of the most powerful mages of his race that has ever lived. The leader of the organization. 17 years old (atleast, in appearance...)
-Seandar Ironfist: A grizzled old warrior, favoring the greatsword. He has lived through many battles and campaigns, and thus has alot of experience. 49 years old.
-Jonil Truestrike: Seandar's young son, and an already well-trained user of the greatsword, as his father is. 17 years old.
-Emily Dawnbow: A very skilled bow-user, also dables in the arcane arts, allowing her to shoot magically enhanced amunition. 16 years old.
-Terna Farstrider: An experienced explorer, having seen alot of the old continent and wanting to explore the new one even more thouroughly. Experienced with the bow and spear. 27 years old.
-Ernest Windwalker: A daydreaming scholar who has great power in the wind and weather domains. 25 years old.
-Klin Diceking: A merry rogue and gambler with incredible luck and great skill in stealth and light weapons. 21 years old.
-Farn Earthmover: A stubborn yet sympathetic earth-wielding mage, also a good fighter when using the hammer and axe. 24 years old.
-Inglan Steelshaper: A young magesmith who still hasn't really proven himself. 19 years old.

The rest: I wanted to flesh-out all members and give them all names now, but I will only give their profession and develop their characters during the game as they are needed. But consider them all as powerful as the ones above.:

-1 medic/healer
-2 swordsman
-1 spearman
-1 crossbowman/hunter
-1 builder/architect
-1 scholar/philosopher
-1 ice mage
-1 fire mage
-1 enchanter/diviner/spirit mage

((EDIT: since i seem to have caused some confusion, let me explain: "he ordered the construcion of temporary watch posts that could see far away from high in the the treetops, and asked all mages that had any power in divination to use it" basically means that i am exploring withought sending scouts, using divination magic to 'divine' stuff about our surroundings, and also by climbing on top of the tall trees of the forest and looking around from the top. that way, next turn i will have an idea of what lies ahead, including runes and maybe other nearby civilizations))
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:09:10 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6