Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84032 times)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #900 on: July 14, 2008, 06:27:11 pm »

Well, I tried creating something superquick that would utterly butcher anything it came across.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

End result: Era started at 235. Plus 35 years people! That's progress!
And I'm not looking to make worlds at 9000 ages. I want both the megabeasts to survive and for around 1000 years to pass.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 14, 2008, 06:35:09 pm »

Tiler:This was mentioned in another thread

Besides upping beast stats, when you create a standard size world, go into preferences and edit the amount of caves to a large number, like 500 for each of the 3 cave catagories.

This will give your megabeasts more places to hide and world gen will continue. I'm in year 900 and stil genning.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 14, 2008, 06:54:44 pm »

Tiler = Tiler Kiwi from LL?

Anyways, seems like I'll be holding off for a bit for some of the gamebreakers to be fixed before diving in

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 14, 2008, 06:56:09 pm »

I have one question. In the File changes text file that comes bundled with DF it says

"TRACKING" is acceptable for skill token now

What is this used for?

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 14, 2008, 07:01:44 pm »

Wow! I found something awesome, but I think it was in the pervious version.. not sure.

I went too a human town as a hammer dwarf. Immediatly killed the mayor (He was a swordmaster.. I got lucky and knocked him out in the first hit), and proceeded too run around town, staying away from the guards. At one point, I run into a shop, steal the 200 gold coins, and then start throwing them at every one. Well, after my demise by a guard hiding behind a door, I went back with another adventurer. When I went into the shop, I found the entire floor covered in gold coins! Before.. they would just go away.. if I remember right, so is this new also? (it's not that important, just wanted too mention it)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 14, 2008, 07:17:50 pm »

Set the year to start tracking megabeast deaths to 10k.  Done.  Your world will end when you tell it to.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 14, 2008, 07:21:22 pm »

I was reading the legends files and came across this:

In 178, yemni Muteswamps  was struck down by  Aspuz Rampagedmaligned the Roasted Guises in Fordedhated.

In 178, Aspuz  Rampagedmaligned the Roasted Guises devoured yemni Muteswamps in Fordedhated.

Times 47. Aspuz  Rampagedmaligned the Roasted Guises killed and ate 47 other elfs who were living at the goblin fortress he lived at. (Paternal grandparents and mother were abducted by goblins.) This is awesome.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 14, 2008, 07:26:55 pm »

Tiler = Tiler Kiwi from LL?

Anyways, seems like I'll be holding off for a bit for some of the gamebreakers to be fixed before diving in

That I am.

And you might as well get it. I set my world to generate to 1050, megabeasts be damned, and I get to read about the tragic genocide of an entire race of people.

Elves are vicious.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 14, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »

Yeah, I'm basically going in, genning a world, fucking around in it, and reading legends.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience to this...I entered a Forest Retreat, and a bunch of guards kept giving into pain, falling unconscious, etc., for no reason I could tell. At first I thought I stumbled onto a war, but no enemies were found. I didn't check the guards (and, indeed, after trying to kill a downed guard, I die a horrible death myself), but think it was just mass phantom pain from lost limbs?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 14, 2008, 07:51:29 pm »

I am surprised that many of the megabeasts are being killed by total weaklings

A Dwarf killing a Bronze Collosus solo in year 4? YEAH RIGHT!!!

But that is how it happened...

Edit addition: WOW I am noticing that Dwarves seem to be killing a ton of my Megabeasts... like they have some sort of anti-megabeast device or something... One site seems to so far be the major cause of megabeast deaths
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:11:27 pm by Neonivek »

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 14, 2008, 07:55:16 pm »

Yeah, I'm basically going in, genning a world, fucking around in it, and reading legends.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience to this...I entered a Forest Retreat, and a bunch of guards kept giving into pain, falling unconscious, etc., for no reason I could tell. At first I thought I stumbled onto a war, but no enemies were found. I didn't check the guards (and, indeed, after trying to kill a downed guard, I die a horrible death myself), but think it was just mass phantom pain from lost limbs?

I think this is from guards with old injuries not being simmed as being injured.  I think worldgen ignores pain.

Thus, when you walk into an area, all the guards who have been living as blind quadruple amputees suddenly realized OH GOD IT HURTS and pass out.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:01 pm »

What controls army sizes? I constantly see dwarves attacking with around 50 troops, but elves on the other hand tend to bring armies of 700+!

Also, looking at the populations of caves in the worlds I've generated, I've not found more than 5 non vermin creatures in them unless kobolds are living there. A lot of caves just have one giant rat. I saw no caves with ironmen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 14, 2008, 10:36:19 pm »

Elves get such large army sizes because they have huge reproduction rates since every member they ever had is still alive and reproducing.

Also has anyone noticed that Bronze Collosus don't seem to last very long? Despite being the most powerful Megabeast in Fortress mode they are the weakest Megabeast in world generation (probably because their abilities arn't taken into account)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 14, 2008, 11:09:57 pm »

I think all the elven sites in my world have been taken over.  I intended to get my adventurer killed by elves so I could see if they ate his corpse, but when I got to the first group of elven sites I go in and find myself in a meadhall, talking with the human macelord leader.  So I figure that bunch is bust, and head east to the other batch of forest retreats.  No buildings this time around, but I emerge from the trees to find an elven Outpost Liaison standing with a elven crossbowman.  Turns out they'd been conquered by the dwarves (there was even an elf butcher and metalcrafter.)  There were some enemy elves still in the area, and I actually killed the Druid myself, but none of the hostile elves even had any weapons while the dwarven elves were armed with steel.  I go to all the sites in the area hoping to find my grisly demise, but no luck.
Looking at the map again, there are some free elves in the deep south.  Time to die!
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 14, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

In the Martial Mod, I get stupendous Megabeast fights on Large worlds. Primarily because I modded in megabeast civilizations. A civ of dragons going against a civ of black dragons...  that was fun. A lot of times they received like three wounds before killing the opponent, once I had one get one wound and retreat, and the other had three wounds. I presume they were all reasonably mangled after the Age of Myth, because a few kentaurs and dark elves killed off a lot of the population during Legends.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 64