Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83968 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2008, 09:57:49 am »

Urist has grown tired of eating Plump Helmets recently.
Urist cancels Eat: throwing Tantrum
A stray kitten has been struck down!
Bomrek Genericdwarf has been struck down!

Urist cancels Tantrum: eating Bomrek Genericdwarf
Fixed ;D.

Anyway I like this change very much.
Now this is the real reason (other than roleplay) to buy meat from caravans and to grow something different from plump helmets.

I don't mind to ignore these "4" and to wait a few more days to get some more "presents" like this. They really affect DF mode, not the awesome worldgen only. I think I will spend these days planning my new buildings.
I decided to stop carving the fortress out of rock surface and to start real architecture. Today I went with a nice plan of an inn and a town hall.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:03:40 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2008, 11:05:12 am »

Dwarves growing tired of eating the same foods...  I think it's the beginning of the end of our life as we know it. Dwarves are starting to grow...  COMMON SENSE. Soon, soon they will grow tired of mining the same rock, hauling the same stones, killing the same goblins, pulling the same levers, and installing the same "indoor plumbing" in their apartments.

:)
Great feature btw. I can wait till wednesday if we get a few more gems like these for our waiting.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2008, 11:16:13 am »

If they keep it up, they'll have to get tired of starving in the same pit.
Shoes...

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2008, 11:36:49 am »

It shouldn't be too bad. Taking along a few cave wheat seeds and rock nuts should alleviate most of the problem. I just hope the dwarves will actually, y'know, be smart enough to pick dwarven beer biscuits over wine roasts when they're sick of the latter.

Zurack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 12, 2008, 11:37:28 am »

Urist has grown tired of eating Plump Helmets recently.
A stray kitten has been struck down!
Bomrek Genericdwarf has been struck down!

Urist cancels Tantrum: eating Bomrek Genericdwarf
Urist has grown tired of eating Dwarves recently.
Urist has grown tired of throwing Tantrums recently.
Urist cancels Tantrum: throwing Tantrum
Fixed ;D.

Fixed again!
Pay attention to my avatar, see if you can find the secret pattern!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 12, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

All this while I thought it was "cave weed"...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 12, 2008, 12:05:39 pm »

Urist cancels eat: Freaking out
Shoes...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2008, 02:17:32 pm »

My vacation is starting just as the new release is going to come out. The timing is excellent in my opinion.

I doubt food variety is going to be much of a problem for me after the first couple of months. Crop rotations are probably a fairly easy solution to it actually. (on top of buying meats and such)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2008, 04:20:07 pm »

Hee hee hee. The Onion has a new Article that I found stunningly, blindingly awesomely Dwarf Fortress Like:

T.G.I. Friday's Executive Chef Recommends Booze-On-Meat-With-Cheese Thing

SCHAUMBURG, IL—The executive chef of the Tremont Road T.G.I. Friday's strongly recommended that a table of VIP guests try the evening's special: a "tender, juicy, and heavily seasoned" booze-on-meat-with-cheese thing. "Tonight's special is a succulent 8-ounce meat, infused with imported cheese and drizzled with a creamy reduction of booze," said chef Tom Pinelli, adding that the entrée is served on a bed of cheese and meat, and is best paired with a glass of booze. "However, if you're in the mood for something a little lighter, we do have a refreshing selection of sauce-on-fish-on-stick stuff, as well as some healthier cheese-filled-meat-under-bacon options." For vegetarian diners, Pinelli recommended the 56-ounce fried mushroom.

It's a +Cat Meat+ Roast, with well-minced Cat Meat, finely-minced Dwarven Cheese, finely-minced Longland Beer, and minced cat meat.

And just look at the Vegetarian Option!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2008, 04:28:21 pm »

My favorite has always been the series of concentric circles, and the effect they might have on the citizens of the enlongated green thing, and how many tiny drawings of people might appear on the pictograph.
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2008, 07:54:17 pm »

Oooogh... I just realized... Has anyone thought about how much all the new worldgen features will affect worldgen times? I mean, with all the diplomacy and individual histories for every peasant and child snatching and war-fighting and trophy collecting, won't it take at least half an hour where it used to take 5 minutes? Once again, DWAAARF FORTRESS will reclaim its place as the king of loadtimes.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 12, 2008, 08:28:17 pm »

Oooogh... I just realized... Has anyone thought about how much all the new worldgen features will affect worldgen times? I mean, with all the diplomacy and individual histories for every peasant and child snatching and war-fighting and trophy collecting, won't it take at least half an hour where it used to take 5 minutes? Once again, DWAAARF FORTRESS will reclaim its place as the king of loadtimes.

Yeah if you look back in the devlogs toady has been keeping an eye on it, and you can have the game dump a whole lot of historical information rather than keeping it in memory to speed up worldgen and stuff

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2008, 08:30:13 pm »

Oooogh... I just realized... Has anyone thought about how much all the new worldgen features will affect worldgen times?[...] won't it take at least half an hour where it used to take 5 minutes?

Well, probably worldgen will take a lot longer, but  it isn't like you make a new world for every fort.

... do you?

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2008, 10:25:55 pm »

With all the configuration options that let you cull the map size and history I really doubt this will be a problem. Those who want a quickly generated world can have it, and those who want a big complex world can easily handle a three hour wait for it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:16:53 am by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2008, 10:50:18 pm »

Wait, Dwarf Fortress will probably be updated on Monday?

On my Birthday?

Of course this is chance, but Holy-freakin-moley...

And now, preparing for a rush of awesomeness.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 64