Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83992 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2008, 08:40:10 pm »

kidnappees escape.  Excellent.  I was genuinely worried about that whole problem of goblin towers with fifty elves and two goblins.

And oh boy, religious wars.  I wonder what kind of criteria starts them?  I suppose we'll have to generate a whole bunch of worlds and figure out which spheres are considered hostile to each other.  Unless it's in the raws somewhere.  Oh I hope it's in the raws.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2008, 08:48:57 pm »

Salman Rushdie, Writer has created The Satanic Verses, a Paper Book!
Ruhollah Khomeini, Ayatollah has gone into a martial trance!
Shoes...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »

Urist McRandom, Atheist, insult Dwarvic Church!

Urist McPope, Pope, Explode in gore!

Awesome...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:05 pm »

Both men who started the conflict were probably both followers of an Ardent nature, and I believe blight and food (perhaps fertility too) spheres sort of clash with each other on a grand scale. Thus these two figures could simply not stand the other's existance because they believed completely opposite things. Instead of caring about other priorities first like they could have if they were moderates, or tolerating each other like they could have if they were generally agreeable people, they decided to fight a war that probably had widespead effects that could be found throughout the world gen logs, touching people's bloodlines through the centuries, even if it is mostly forgotten within the first hundred years.

In shorter words: EPIC. :]
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2008, 09:23:56 pm »

You know, that raises even more questions, though they would really be addressed to the great and powerful RNG.  I get worshiping a god of food and fertility.  I get worshiping a god of wealth.

But how do you get a good of wealth and blight?  What sphere connection is in there?  And who would worship a god of blight?  That's what I love about this game.  Trying to come up with rational narrations of DF's random insanity is the best writing exercise possible.

Salman Rushdie, Writer has created The Satanic Verses, a Paper Book!
Ruhollah Khomeini, Ayatollah has gone into a martial trance!

You sir just made my day.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2008, 09:43:27 pm »

You know, that raises even more questions, though they would really be addressed to the great and powerful RNG.  I get worshiping a god of food and fertility.  I get worshiping a god of wealth.

But how do you get a good of wealth and blight?  What sphere connection is in there?  And who would worship a god of blight?  That's what I love about this game.  Trying to come up with rational narrations of DF's random insanity is the best writing exercise possible.

There would be more going on there. For instance, even though the god is the god of blight, you could say he's a very personal and friendly guy who will give your enemies blights if he likes you.

Or you could look at other famous games and steal ideas from them.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2008, 09:44:43 pm »

There are a number of "bad" gods that are worshiped- usually out of fear, or in an attempt to "bribe" the deity into not harming the worshipers. I am reminded in particular of a south American culture where the aboriginal people lived primarily agricultural lives, and had a minor evil spirit who lived in the mountains and took the evil dead.
 Eventually, of course, the white people arrived, and introduced two things to the bands/villagers: Christianity and Tin mining. The people adjusted their beliefs and absorbed parts of Christianity as farming fell by the wayside and the ogre-like folklore creature took on new meaning as "Satan". The villagers would refer to worshiping Jesus and God and Mary, but the main axis of the culture was this evil blood god. The main ideal was that the god guarded the valuable metals and ores of the mountain and cave-ins and equipment failures and other calamities where his way of getting back. Proper sacraments and rituals would please the god and he would grant rich ore seams to the miners. Part of these sacraments included the construction of idols that would be placed in alcoves around the mine and granted gifts of small gems, cigarettes (which would be put in the mouth of the idol and lit), alcohol, and meat.

It was really a facinating culture, I must visit them again...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »

People affiliated themselves with less-than-benevolent gods to make sure that they themselves were not affected. It's like taking out an insurance policy. You are dealing with evil forces in the hopes that nothing bad will happen, and if it does happen, that it won't be quite so bad when it does. The wealth part is an added bonus.

In my mind, I assume its a deity who merchants deal with on an almost superstitious level. No one dares offend it, unless they want their crops to fallow. Going out of your way to follow the rituals benefits you with properity because Spugac is probably just-and-mollifiable so long as you don't ignore him. Probably has issues with abandonment and likes to let people know in terrible ways when he is being ignored?

[/my take]
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2008, 10:09:42 pm »

IIRC, a lot of early Mesopotamian religions were like that.  More like buying "insurance" from organized crime than asking for favors.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »

The main ideal was that the god guarded the valuable metals and ores of the mountain and cave-ins and equipment failures and other calamities where his way of getting back. Proper sacraments and rituals would please the god and he would grant rich ore seams to the miners. Part of these sacraments included the construction of idols that would be placed in alcoves around the mine and granted gifts of small gems, cigarettes (which would be put in the mouth of the idol and lit), alcohol, and meat.

That's the most DF like real life thing I've heard of.  Awesome.  We so need functional gods in DF.

IIRC, a lot of early Mesopotamian religions were like that.  More like buying "insurance" from organized crime than asking for favors.

I was just thinking about that in response.  The one I remember in particular was the Babalonia god Nargal, lord of war, plagues, pestilence, and the fierce summer sun.  I'm hardly a scholar, but I given what else we know of ancient mesopotamians, I'm guessing people weren't worshiping him out of pragmatic suplication.

And yes, Games Workshop appropriated him into Nurgle, since in twenty five years of writing they've had about three original ideas.

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2008, 10:29:20 pm »

The main ideal was that the god guarded the valuable metals and ores of the mountain and cave-ins and equipment failures and other calamities where his way of getting back. Proper sacraments and rituals would please the god and he would grant rich ore seams to the miners. Part of these sacraments included the construction of idols that would be placed in alcoves around the mine and granted gifts of small gems, cigarettes (which would be put in the mouth of the idol and lit), alcohol, and meat.

That's the most DF like real life thing I've heard of.  Awesome.  We so need functional gods in DF.

I think when magic is introduced, he will work on fuctional gods.. Or is their a god arc? (didn't see one when I looked through it today)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 11, 2008, 10:40:08 pm »

A god of evil-type industrialization.  Sure, some dwarves may die or be permanently maimed, and the trees may burn to ashes in the magma from the forges, but it's the price of progress.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 11, 2008, 10:43:19 pm »

A god of evil-type industrialization.  Sure, some dwarves may die or be permanently maimed, and the trees may burn to ashes in the magma from the forges, but it's the price of progress.

Hey, everyone knows about the power of the almighty Dollar.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 11, 2008, 11:03:53 pm »

No one's mentioned Moloch?  They heated up his arms and put babies on them.  I don't think they were doing it out of respect and adoration.
Shoes...

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 11, 2008, 11:40:11 pm »

No one's mentioned Moloch?  They heated up his arms and put babies on them.  I don't think they were doing it out of respect and adoration.

You're so humble, Cthulhu.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 64