Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84043 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #705 on: July 10, 2008, 06:24:48 pm »

No-no, I mean something completely different.
Just save a world seed, and then play around with some parameters of different races (like strength, violence, resistance to all kinds of illnesses, etc,etc), and 'fast-forward' to see how it will affect 'geopolitics' in the future. Or, better yet (hence the 'genes' I mentioned) - track how specific 'genes' are propagated from generation to generation.
I mean, wouldn't it be cool to generate an adventurer with some sort of awesome ability, proceed to kick ass, retire, fast forward 1000 years.... and find the world populated by your descendants?
I was thinking about this.
As of right now we have 3 main traits - Strength, Agility, Toughness, that have obvious combat enhancing abilities - that increase alongside practiced/acquired skills such as forging, farming, weapon/armor using.

It would be interesting to debate the merits of passing on these to offspring or more traits in the future.

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

GOODNIGHT
Good night, Mr. Darvin.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 10, 2008, 06:38:08 pm »

Yes, you could argue the case for intelligent design in a computer simulation, but I would prefer not to.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 10, 2008, 06:45:35 pm »

GOODNIGHT

One of my favorite Morbo quotes.  Well done, sir.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #708 on: July 10, 2008, 06:52:39 pm »

Yeeeah, I was going to agree with Koji there.  I do like the idea of having more attributes, though. Something to go along with the social skills.

SuperDwarvenly Wise!
Perfectly Smart!
Ultra-friendly!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 10, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »

Yeeeah, I was going to agree with Koji there.  I do like the idea of having more attributes, though. Something to go along with the social skills.

SuperDwarvenly Wise!
Perfectly Smart!
Ultra-friendly!

I like the sound of that.  Then my record keeper wouldn't gain the ability to punt a kobold thief across the map after spending a year sitting in her office counting things.

God help you if your Ultra-Friendly dwarf is out gathering herbs when the goblin ambush shows up.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 10, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »

God help you if your Ultra-Friendly dwarf is out gathering herbs when the goblin ambush shows up.

Nah, with her awesome social skills she'd have the whole army convinced of the errors of its ways and joining the party in the statue garden before they knew what hit them.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 10, 2008, 07:46:55 pm »

One could argue that strength, toughness, and speed could theoretically be passed on.

A great farmer could have great farming children; he'd be passing on whatever gave him the potential to become a great farmer, like a sensitivity to humidity and air pressure or the ability to think months in advance.

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 10, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »

GOODNIGHT

Someone should tell Will Wright...
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 10, 2008, 08:38:12 pm »

I would like to see a simple genetics system in place where every creature would have "alleles" that would interact similarly to how genetics works in the real world, and would affect such things as base stats, rate of experience gain, personality, and other such things, that would then be passed on during world gen and during play from parents to offspring. It probably wouldn't be difficult to pull off, and would be cool to see happen.

And then we could have mutations... A whole race of 4-armed, 2-bearded dwarves, anyone?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 10, 2008, 08:43:33 pm »

No-no, I mean something completely different.
Just save a world seed, and then play around with some parameters of different races (like strength, violence, resistance to all kinds of illnesses, etc,etc), and 'fast-forward' to see how it will affect 'geopolitics' in the future. Or, better yet (hence the 'genes' I mentioned) - track how specific 'genes' are propagated from generation to generation.
I mean, wouldn't it be cool to generate an adventurer with some sort of awesome ability, proceed to kick ass, retire, fast forward 1000 years.... and find the world populated by your descendants?
I was thinking about this.
As of right now we have 3 main traits - Strength, Agility, Toughness, that have obvious combat enhancing abilities - that increase alongside practiced/acquired skills such as forging, farming, weapon/armor using.

It would be interesting to debate the merits of passing on these to offspring or more traits in the future.

GOODNIGHT
Dwarves methylate their DNA extensively - in fact, it determines virtually all of their genetic traits.  Thus, circumstances which force a dwarf's cells to demethylate or methylate during its lifetime can be passed onto its offspring. 

Amazing, isn't it?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 10, 2008, 08:47:23 pm »

DNA is for the weak.  Real dwarves beat their traits into children.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:28 pm »

Dwarves store their genetic material in their beards. After a while, a new one pops out of the beard as a baby.

As for evolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenome

While one more educated in evolution/genetics could easily blast my link out of the water(Research on the internet? Please!), I still feel that the DF universe need not abide by the extremes of science.

I mean, one-thousand-degrees-below-absolute-zero golems. Yeah. Or atom smashers, or even perpetual-motion.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:45 pm »

I would like dwarven familys that are shown by the dwarves last name.
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 11, 2008, 01:29:55 am »

I suppose that there should be some sort of hereditary family name thing.
As I see it the options are thus:
Matriarchal heredity
Patriarchal heredity
Combining one element from the mother and another element from the father, in the order customarily used by the civilisation.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 11, 2008, 02:38:11 am »

Dwarves store their genetic material in their beards. After a while, a new one pops out of the beard as a baby.

As for evolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenome

While one more educated in evolution/genetics could easily blast my link out of the water(Research on the internet? Please!), I still feel that the DF universe need not abide by the extremes of science.

I mean, one-thousand-degrees-below-absolute-zero golems. Yeah. Or atom smashers, or even perpetual-motion.
The funky thing about epigenomes is that they work like software, running on top of normal genetic code and turning on and off it's functions. They can get passed on even though they aren't 'hard-coded.' The most funky thing is that diet has a major impact on the way an individual's epigenetics, but it doesn't take effect until a few generations later.

"Urist's great grandfather drank sunshine 87% of the time, making him impatient.
Urist's great grandmother eat plump helmet 63% of the time, making him super dwarvenly tough."
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 64