Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84040 times)

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #690 on: July 10, 2008, 06:08:43 am »

Second: The number at each of toadys entrys is lines of code he has to fix, I think.

I think it is a todo-list, and the number is the number of items on that list. The items, I speculate, might be features to add (such as determining drunks after world generation) or checks if previous features work properly (are there inappropriate drunks generated), or specific bugs to fix.

--Eino

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 10, 2008, 09:11:18 am »

I thought Toady was going to wait until the 23rd to release this? or when he finished the bigfixes...

Whatever ones was later

Alright I am TOTALLY confused now

No, he's working on DF until 23rd or release, whichever is later, then taking a break from dwarves for his side project.  The number is the countdown until release (number of lines on his to-do list).
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 10, 2008, 09:20:37 am »

Will the new version fix the all year long parties the dwarfs throw or the matter with immigrants with useless professions(being just a lye maker or miller doesn't seem like a rational way to earn a living as a dwarf) being too common? Might they be if enough time is left over? I personally would appreciate a Init option to turn all immigrants to peasants. Just to satisfy my OCD.

IIRC the new version will have jobs assigned to historical figures. Will it assign them randomly or will some professions be more common than others. IMO skills in the Farmer category for an example should be divided into the professions of brewer. cook, ranger and farmer when the game is deciding what jobs to assign.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 10, 2008, 10:27:57 am »

Ranger is not in a farmer category, it's separate.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:56 am »

Will the new version fix ... the matter with immigrants with useless professions(being just a lye maker or miller doesn't seem like a rational way to earn a living as a dwarf) being too common?
Don't forget that to that dwarf, your fortress is the new world, the land of opportunity.  He or she is fed up with the stifling mayor of his current abode forcing him or her to make lye.

Let that dwarf live the dream, and set them free from the shackles of lye-making.  Unless, of course, you really need some lye right now.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #695 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:03 am »

Will the new version fix ... the matter with immigrants with useless professions(being just a lye maker or miller doesn't seem like a rational way to earn a living as a dwarf) being too common?
Don't forget that to that dwarf, your fortress is the new world, the land of opportunity.  He or she is fed up with the stifling mayor of his current abode forcing him or her to make lye.

Let that dwarf live the dream, and set them free from the shackles of lye-making.  Unless, of course, you really need some lye right now.

I free them from the drudgery of lye-making to do the drudgery of either:

1: Mining that laaaast warm stone wall out.
2: helping the champions spar for several minutes straight.
3: "Go defoliate the entire area! Every tuber must be had!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 10, 2008, 11:37:03 am »

Option four: recruit them immediately then send to soak up valuable bolts and arrows from passing goblins

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 10, 2008, 12:18:28 pm »

Hah! New update is exciting.
With life cycles arc ("genetics" is there, right?), imagine an ability to tweak some variables by hand, and turn DF into a massive population/sociology sim!
Sapienti Sat.

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:17 pm »

Massive population = massive lag :(. I'm happy with 100 :). Though, it does make me sad that, if I built a huge fort, it wouldn't be populated as much as I would like.

Also, couple more days :D. So excited! We can build multiple floors at once now :D!!!

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 10, 2008, 12:48:07 pm »

No-no, I mean something completely different.
Just save a world seed, and then play around with some parameters of different races (like strength, violence, resistance to all kinds of illnesses, etc,etc), and 'fast-forward' to see how it will affect 'geopolitics' in the future. Or, better yet (hence the 'genes' I mentioned) - track how specific 'genes' are propagated from generation to generation.
I mean, wouldn't it be cool to generate an adventurer with some sort of awesome ability, proceed to kick ass, retire, fast forward 1000 years.... and find the world populated by your descendants?
Sapienti Sat.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #700 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »

Just save a world seed, and then play around with some parameters of different races (like strength, violence, resistance to all kinds of illnesses, etc,etc), and 'fast-forward' to see how it will affect 'geopolitics' in the future. Or, better yet (hence the 'genes' I mentioned) - track how specific 'genes' are propagated from generation to generation.
I mean, wouldn't it be cool to generate an adventurer with some sort of awesome ability, proceed to kick ass, retire, fast forward 1000 years.... and find the world populated by your descendants?

Simpel trial. Kill all the men in the world. ALL of them. Then retire your hero in a random city.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 10, 2008, 01:17:16 pm »

Yes, I must agree, that would indeed be very awesome! Sorry I mis-read your previous post :(.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 10, 2008, 02:17:14 pm »

I was thinking about this.
As of right now we have 3 main traits - Strength, Agility, Toughness, that have obvious combat enhancing abilities - that increase alongside practiced/acquired skills such as forging, farming, weapon/armor using.

It would be interesting to debate the merits of passing on these to offspring or more traits in the future.

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 10, 2008, 03:20:16 pm »

Even more so, if more magical things can be passed on as well; who wouldn't want a thousands of years old family tattoo that protects you from arrows, bolts and throwables? And (possibly stolen, possibly family created) artefacts could make adventurers quite overpowered as well.  ;D

And then adventurer meets a peasant who has been possesed earlier in his life. Adventurer tries to strangle his family and he counters by hitting adventurer with a artefact floodgate...  8)
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:17 pm »

I was thinking about this.
As of right now we have 3 main traits - Strength, Agility, Toughness, that have obvious combat enhancing abilities - that increase alongside practiced/acquired skills such as forging, farming, weapon/armor using.

It would be interesting to debate the merits of passing on these to offspring or more traits in the future.

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

GOODNIGHT
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 64