Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84096 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #660 on: July 05, 2008, 10:05:54 pm »

I've done that before.  Once I had a group of me(Human Swordsman), a human spearman, a hammerdwarf, and an elven archer.

Elf got his throat ripped out by a wolf in our first fight.  Nature's guardians...

We then got a quest to fight a hydra(!)

Got there, looked around, it was OUTSIDE.  RIGHT NEXT TO US.  Grabbed the dwarf by the chest and shook him around, didn't stand a chance.  I charged it and suffered a similarly horrible fate, and the spearman got her head bitten off.
Shoes...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 07, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

Now I know where all those replacement meatshields and adventurers come from.

Fortress: Whiteknives. Population: 238 + pets. Number of children and babies: 98.

Talk about a kidsplosion! These kids are getting worse than the cats! The default setting is a cap of 100 children or 1000% of your fortress population, whichever is lower.

Does anyone know what a more realistic % is for children?
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 07, 2008, 07:55:28 pm »

Fortress: Whiteknives. Population: 238 + pets. Number of children and babies: 98.

Well, considering their high mortality rate, the dwarves simply need a high reproduction rate.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 07, 2008, 07:58:31 pm »

Thats just the problem. My mortality rate is zero. Artifact related deaths only amount to one or two a year.

The problem is with that many dwarves is that when they all pile into the meeting area they socialize at lightspeed. So everyone in my fortress including more than half the children have maxed out legendary social skills. Which results in max stats. Heck one of my miners went bezerk the other day and it took my dwarves ages to take him down since he was so tough.

EDIT: The number of kids just broke 110, what am I gonna do?!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:37:24 pm by Tamren »
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 07, 2008, 10:27:24 pm »

EDIT: The number of kids just broke 110, what am I gonna do?!

Go Spartan style and abandon/kill them? If their parents freak out, kill them too. Same with tantruming friends. Soon enough you'll no longer have population problems.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:19 pm »

07/06/2008: 59. I had to get up at 11:30 AM (AM!) today, so I was a little fried, but it's a continuing mission and I'm still on schedule to finish well before the 23rd.

To explore strange new worlds...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 08, 2008, 03:04:30 am »

Quick question pointed at toady: Do dwarves from abandoned fortresses still either linger there or disappear?
Because it would be pretty cool to get migrants from a former fortress that is nearby.
Although that could get abused.
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 08, 2008, 03:07:32 am »

I think the issue here is not so much what happens to these former fortress dwellers, but that the ones coming to your fortress are freshly created anyway. I.e. it is AFAIK currently not implemented that immigrants are taken from the world population, but that's something Toady wants to get to in the future.

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2008, 03:09:56 am »

Oh well.
Another idea is that if you get yourself on the better sides of some races, you may get migrants of that race.
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #669 on: July 08, 2008, 04:35:13 am »

Oh well.
Another idea is that if you get yourself on the better sides of some races, you may get migrants of that race.

I was going to say something about the certain doom that would befall elven immigrants to a dwarven fortress, not to mention the horror they would most assuredly experience simply being around the dwarves... but then I remembered you'd have to be friendly to the elves to begin with, so that's not a danger they're likely to face anytime soon. :P

Human immigrants would make excellent guardsmen though... mostly because they'd be less likely to be off drinking than watching their post.
Derp.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 08, 2008, 10:03:32 am »

From todays devlog
Also, world gen prisoners can now be captured and tortured for knowledge about site locations, and goblins will now murder each other occasionally. ;D
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:30 pm »

I lol'd at goblins murdering each other. I hope they don't start a civil war after this happens.

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 08, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

I lol'd at goblins murdering each other. I hope they don't start a civil war after this happens.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED RAMBLING STORY:
A friend of mine happened to have the codebase for a MUD (The Forests Edge).  He was having trouble getting it running since it relied on some random/old libraries, so I gave him a hand and got it up and running.  We were just goofing off with it, so we spawned a top-level mob in the middle of a big town and took control of it, just to shortly be 1-shot by a guard.  Turns out guards would automatically kill any NPC with one shot, or at least VERY QUICKLY (probably as a safety net?).  Spawning that mob did pull in EVERY SINGLE guard in the entire town however, so for giggles we took control of a guard and had it attack another guard.  3 screens of text later, we are trying to figure out why all the guards died.  Here is what we figured out:

AI rule #1:  Guards will attack things that attack other guards.
AI rule #2:  Guards seemed to be able to get in 1 last shot on an NPC even if they are dead, at least a lot of guards are attacking at once.
AI rule #3:  Guards 1-shot NPCs (as above)

So this means:
Guard 1 attacks guard 2. 
Guard 2 dies. 
All the other guards attack guard 1. 
Guard 1 dies.
All the guards start beating the living heck out of each other since they attacked a guard.

Quickest coup in history!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 08, 2008, 02:49:11 pm »

Ah, Oblivion.  I loved breaking that game.

Related: I wonder if snatching tweaks means goblins won't flood themselves out of their towers with the offspring of kidnappings.  Certainly by adding murder they're going to need even more help keeping themselves in the game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 08, 2008, 03:42:16 pm »

I am sure non-goblins will murder eachother eventually... I think Toady is using it as a test code for future reference or something.

That and because Goblins have no penelty for murder... so he may have added it for Goblins because he doesn't have a fleshed out justice system.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 05:20:23 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 64