Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84070 times)

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #645 on: July 05, 2008, 09:23:00 am »

In his latest updates, he's put a steadily decreasing number before his update?

No, that is number of lines till till release. Toady has list of things he must do before release, and that number is number of lines. It is like countdown to us, though.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 05, 2008, 12:00:56 pm »

...The third one is a quest to kill a previous adventurer, who had been bad. That adventurer had killed a crossbowman, unprovoked, and fled to the neighboring dwarven town, where he retired. When my quester came to deal with him, he called me out (he recognized me as a citizen of the town he hated) and I managed to win. This set his new dwarven buddies on me, and I had to kill a few before I could sneak out.

Wow, questing just got a lot more interesting. I also like a lot the new questing dialogs. They are still generic but now they give a reason for each quest (although I'm sure there are no rewards yet). MMORPGs should do something like this instead of the typical harvesting/fetching quest.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 05, 2008, 12:16:51 pm »

In his latest updates, he's put a steadily decreasing number before his update?

Is that progress toward the bugcap?  When it's 0 will we have our new version?!
If you just read back to the entries when he started putting that number there, you would see the answer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 05, 2008, 05:31:24 pm »

If Toady going to be working weekends for now on (to have a week + 1 day vacation at the end of the month) or was this a one time deal?

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 05, 2008, 05:59:09 pm »

If Toady going to be working weekends for now on (to have a week + 1 day vacation at the end of the month) or was this a one time deal?

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19951.msg210905#msg210905
"Moving the weekends to the end of the month worked out pretty well, so I'll do that again this time around.  This means that Dwarf Fortress is scheduled from the 1st through the 23rd and the month-end project from the 24th to the 31st.  I fully anticipate a July DF release now that we're well into the final countdown, but if I miss by a few days I'll just keep working on it until it's done."

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #650 on: July 05, 2008, 08:08:26 pm »

Have a algorithm do a mad lib basically?

No, please!  Mad lib conversations are the height of irritating in all of the roguelikes I've ever seen.  Even the existing "In the morning, consider torture" random quotes are irritating. ;-)

If it's imperative to have topics to discuss, I'd prefer if they were discussed in "excerpt style".  As in, "[You have a conversation with Sacagawea about torture.]"

GearHead 2's mad lib conversations were painful.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 05, 2008, 08:15:47 pm »

They say the rainbow is a rockstar.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 05, 2008, 08:33:25 pm »

"Mad lib conversations are the height of irritating in all of the roguelikes I've ever seen"

Doesn't Dwarf Fortress already do Mad Lib names that tend to be pretty bad already?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 05, 2008, 08:48:56 pm »

...The third one is a quest to kill a previous adventurer, who had been bad. That adventurer had killed a crossbowman, unprovoked, and fled to the neighboring dwarven town, where he retired. When my quester came to deal with him, he called me out (he recognized me as a citizen of the town he hated) and I managed to win. This set his new dwarven buddies on me, and I had to kill a few before I could sneak out.

Wow, questing just got a lot more interesting. I also like a lot the new questing dialogs. They are still generic but now they give a reason for each quest (although I'm sure there are no rewards yet). MMORPGs should do something like this instead of the typical harvesting/fetching quest.

I can imagine getting that quest, going "what, no, that guy was awesome", retiring, starting up as the target, and moving to a new village.
One further away.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 05, 2008, 08:59:50 pm »

Psh, who retires adventurers?

I run them into the ground.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 05, 2008, 09:05:08 pm »

Hey it is interesting to see how your super powerful adventurers will do over time. I wish they did more then they currently do or the give you a "speed up time" option so we can see him take on the world's Megabeasts or become king

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 05, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »

What do they currently do?
Shoes...

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 05, 2008, 09:51:23 pm »

Murder everyone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 05, 2008, 09:51:42 pm »

Really?!
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 05, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »

What do they currently do?

Sit around the town they retired in.

I once tried to make an adventurer group by creating adventurers then retiring them in town to recruit later, but that failed when they didnt feel like joining the edventure. I hear Toady will be fixing that, so whee! Spearchatchers with armor AND weapons!

Heck, I can make a small army! Assult that Dark Tower with a demon and several goblin bowmasters! That or lead them onto ice in the spring or water in winter.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:06:51 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 64