Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84123 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #615 on: July 03, 2008, 10:43:30 am »

"The Enjoyable Paddle"

That sounds like either a rowing team or a BDSM club.

Seemed to fit the limerick humor.
So then, do you know any women with balls? :-\

I know several.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #616 on: July 03, 2008, 11:00:54 am »

After reading today's and the last month's dev logs, I'm finally convinced that legends can now tell a compelling story. Toady's been saying it was gonna happen at some point, and this is just the beginning...

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2008, 11:42:45 am »

It doesn't take long until novelists, movie script writers and game story planners start taking their inspiration from DF. ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:05:57 pm by Baneslave »
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 03, 2008, 12:07:34 pm »

I mean, reading the Dev logs where Toady goes into these stories is one of my favorite things about DF, even though I'm not involved.  I mean, world gen basically writes a skeleton for a novel/screenplay, all you need to do are fill in some of the details and write dialog.

I love this game.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 03, 2008, 12:13:04 pm »

This summer, action.....is only 4 feet tall
*Dwarf strikes at an Elephant in CGI*
BOATMURDERED the motion picture!

With Danny Devito as "Sankis"!
*Elephants and Goblins are attacking the walls! (sound of trumpeting and smashing)*

Can these 7 Dwarves live (an artifact is raised) or dieeee? (a howling mandrill attacks a Dwarf)

This summer...
(hundreds of confusing images flyby)
Know the true story of BOATMURDERED!
(hundreds of confusing images flyby)
(at last a Dwarf walks away from a mountain billowing smoke)

Coming 2009
(a shadow of a carp is seen in the river)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2008, 12:26:06 pm »

Too bad that stories like the ones put by Toady on the dev-log seem to require a lot of investigative work to figure out in the actual game. It's not like just by conversing with a character your will get to know all his/her backstory. Although that would be pretty cool... Not that I want characters to spout all their lineage and events back from year 1 in DFtalk. But just some slightly formatted paragraphs telling interesting stories from their past like for example:

"In year 815 my parents Elfin Goblinspit and Elfina Goblintrash where born into captivity in Goblinite Landfill. They where freed from captivity by filthy humans in 836 and became citizens of Stinky Sinkhole in 837. They married in 853."

Several random DFtalk sentences could be joined together in chronological order just by replacing the subject or subjects with pronouns after the first sentence.

By the way. Toady, which changes have been implemented to conversations since the last released version? Because your last dev-log seems to imply you made changes to conversations.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:06:34 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Will

• Bay Watcher
  • Carp Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 03, 2008, 01:33:46 pm »

Have a algorithm do a mad lib basically?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 03, 2008, 01:54:26 pm »

Yeah, I think Toady is just really good at going through legends, understanding all the happenings, and then writing them up in a readable way.
Basically, it's not only fun to play the game he (co-)programmed, but also to watch him play it.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 03, 2008, 02:09:50 pm »

Yeah, I think Toady is just really good at going through legends, understanding all the happenings, and then writing them up in a readable way.
Basically, it's not only fun to play the game he (co-)programmed, but also to watch him play it.

Toady should do a community game when he has some spare time.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 03, 2008, 02:22:37 pm »

I wonder, and maybe this has already been answered, but when the goblins flee into the mountains, will they still be there in play?  Like, will there be migrant goblin groups wandering the mountains?
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 03, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »

So...in another 10 years, then?

Really, unless Toady wants to do one as a way to relax and blow off steam, I'd rather he focus on the programming aspect of it.

Now ThreeToe...he'd be a good candidate to do a community fortress. He already writes so many stories for DF, it'd be neat to see what he does with a CF.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 03, 2008, 03:43:48 pm »

I wonder, and maybe this has already been answered, but when the goblins flee into the mountains, will they still be there in play?  Like, will there be migrant goblin groups wandering the mountains?

"Yes! Finally I have the perfect location! It has [insert list of stuff] and is only size 3x3! Let's depart and...
What? Goblins? 27 goblins standing just by my wagon... Oh my... Crossbowgoblins... No... Noooooo!"
 :D
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2008, 03:40:32 am »

I don't remember precisely what they are doing in the currently released version with conversations.  It's not much different.  They'll talk a bit more about their jobs now.

It does require some investigation to write up these stories, but aside from any that mention specific army numbers (which I haven't got displayed yet), all of my investigation was done through the available legends screen.  It's easier to use now, and you can set world gen to start all events unhidden (which is the default until I get books in).  All I do is type in the name of the character I'm interested in, read the events, pick a character in those events that was important, type the name in, read the events, etc.  The narratives come together from that, though ideally, the game will start being able to do more than one sentence stilted paragraphs -- that'll be later though, and it's a tricky problem to do it well.

Part of the migrants stuff I've glossed over for now is getting refugees to appear as migrant groups that roam the map once play begins -- right now, it tries to stuff them into appropriate sites.  This can lead to some unfortunate placements.  It's one of the things that'll be dealt with over time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2008, 04:06:08 am »

OHHH! Legends has a search function :). I'm sure no one will be put off by weird missed paragraphs in legends, I mean people seem to enjoy the weird ass names in the game...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 04, 2008, 06:21:40 am »

This can lead to some unfortunate placements.

Please elaborate.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 64