Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84055 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #450 on: June 18, 2008, 03:08:25 pm »

Roads will be REALLY fun come Caravan Arc. You would be able to build a fort on a well traveled road, and make a killing off the numerous traders.

Or you can purposefully collapsed tunnels/block roads to see what effect that has.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 18, 2008, 03:23:59 pm »

A few questions for Toady regarding the next release,

Are we going to be able to see roads during the embark process? Also, all these neat screenshots of the world with roads and the controlled area of a civilization...are we going to be able to produce those for our worlds?

On the subject of civilizations, now that we will have less static knowledge of how owns what and what their relation to us is, are you going to add in the ability to get more information about a civilization or site from the embark screen? For example, say I move the cursor over a city. Before, I just got the name, which was probably enough because you'd know that it was a friendly human town. Now, it'd be nice to get information in game about things like who owns it, what the population is like, and their relation to us.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 18, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »

Are we going to be able to see roads during the embark process? Also, all these neat screenshots of the world with roads and the controlled area of a civilization...are we going to be able to produce those for our worlds?

i am not toady but i see no reason as to why roads should not show up on the local region map on the embark screen. my reason for this being they already show up on the detailed maps of the world. Also yes anything Toady has shown us we can do as well. So detailed maps with roads and being able to see who controls what region, are all abilities in the new embark screen.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 18, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »

To bad we won't be able to build fortresses starting from the tunnels' insides. But on the other hand thats a minor complaint since we are going to be able to build ON MOUNTAIN SQUARES (provided there's a tunnel below, results may vary, consult your local physician)!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:06:47 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:59 pm »

Hey, something just occurred to me...  Shouldn't the map creation program be called "DwarfED"?

And I'm going to plant my first fortress on top of a tunnel, whereupon I will dig down until I find it and take it over!  Who's with me?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #455 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:15 pm »

I still have to do the road display, which will happen after I finish off the materials.  I think the roads will probably show up on all of the maps.  I'm not sure about tunnels, since you either should or shouldn't know about individual tunnels depending on the circumstances.

I haven't done anything with adding more information to the site readout during embark at this point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 18, 2008, 10:11:02 pm »

One thought with regards to roads is that you'd pick your civilization before it shows the embark screen, and then you'd know about all roads owned by your civ.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 19, 2008, 05:34:18 am »

Toady, can you answer, will the incoming caravans prefer to use roads, or will they just spawn randomly at some specific map edge like it was before?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 19, 2008, 05:54:52 am »

One thought with regards to roads is that you'd pick your civilization before it shows the embark screen, and then you'd know about all roads owned by your civ.
Choosing a civilization before the embark screen. Complete with info and stuff so you know the difference between them (might not be too much yet but I can imagine the civilizations will just get more and more unique with time) would be so awesome. Also picking civilization (with information about them) before starting town in adventure mode or something would be cool too.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:54 am »

Actually you already pick civ before you embark and pick a "creature of civ" in adv. mode. What's new in your suggestion?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 19, 2008, 08:54:21 am »

Actually you already pick civ before you embark and pick a "creature of civ" in adv. mode. What's new in your suggestion?
Maybe I haven't played adventure enough to notice that, thought the different ones to choose from was just different starting towns of the same civ. Sorry about that if I were wrong.

The Idea was that you'd get more info about the civilization more than "well, we've got three human ones to choose from". I've read that the different civs were going to be fleshed out and be more unique, so I thought it would make sense if you were given some quick info about them when picking which one you want.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 19, 2008, 01:12:01 pm »

Tunnels are a cool idea.  But it's gonna be funny when you are walking around in a tunnel and you come across exposed diamonds or platinum nuggets something.  I guess there needs to be something in place to prevent this? :)

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2008, 01:26:34 pm »

Hehe, maybe if the road material is based off the materials around it there could be a yellow brick road.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 19, 2008, 02:26:20 pm »

Hey while your at it with the civ interface. Could you make it possible to view the all of the materials the civ has access to?

Its extremely aggravating to start a fortress and come the first liason, discover that your home civilization can't supply you with flux.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 19, 2008, 04:25:54 pm »

Hey while your at it with the civ interface. Could you make it possible to view the all of the materials the civ has access to?

Its extremely aggravating to start a fortress and come the first liason, discover that your home civilization can't supply you with flux.

If you "Prepare carefully for your journey," what you can select there is the same as what you can order from the traders.  Admittably, at that point it's too late to turn back, but at least you can just alt-F4 and try another civ without putting any fortress work down first.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 64