Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84044 times)

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #675 on: July 08, 2008, 05:15:01 pm »

Quickest coup in history!

This same exact thing happens in DF if you start up a goblin adventurer, join the goblin's religion, then attack the demon. The demon isn't a member of his own religion (does not worship himself); attacking him makes you hostile to the civilization, and his self-defense makes him an enemy of the religion. This creates a religious schism as all the priests and peasants attack the guards and drunks simultaneously, every new action causing the goblins' enemy lists to rapidly flip-flop mid-battle, resulting in an orgy of blood and goblin limbs as society completely collapses.

It's awesome.
Derp.

Will

• Bay Watcher
  • Carp Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 08, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »

Yea, thats always fun

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 08, 2008, 06:11:19 pm »

Mostly snatcher tweaks today. Also, world gen prisoners can now be captured and tortured for knowledge about site locations, and goblins will now murder each other occasionally.

How do the torture mechanisms work out? Do they harm the subject? Can the subject die from interrogation before the location is given? Will the location always be given, or is it a chance?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:58 pm »

That would make more sense yes. Currently the game will track limbs lost and stuff like that. Not having that part of the system implemented would be a strange omission.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:43 pm »

I have 2 questions, and if some one could answer at least one, I would be very happy.

First: I see toady has done a lot with this version, and I can't wait for it to be released. But... what exactly has he added? I mean, I don't want a long list, I'm just wondering if it's the army arc, or a mix..

Second: The number at each of toadys entrys is lines of code he has to fix, I think. So, will it be released at the end of that? (which is about 5 days at the current pace) I'm not impatient about it, just wondering.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #680 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:11 pm »

As far as your first question goes, I think quite a few things have been added, including worldgen wars, armies based on citizens, slaves, roads, and most interestingly, a 'smoothing' of the world tiles that will lead to (I think) some rather interesting coastlines. Also added in the devlogs were a map editor of sorts and a wide variety of new constraints for world generation.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 08, 2008, 11:24:57 pm »

Thank you for for pointing out those details!  ;D

Map editor (thought he said something about it but I wasn't sure) seems like it could lead to great Fortress'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 09, 2008, 12:02:26 am »

The Somewhat complete Army arc won't be complete until the Carivan Arc is finished apperantly... or so I misunderstand

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:35 pm »

GearHead 2's mad lib conversations were painful.

It's common knowledge that I have no opinion about donating blood.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:12 pm »

Also a possibility from what I have read: Coastal towns. Sure on the world map you can see cities near bodies of water, but when you look at the region you see they are on seperate region tiles. Toady stated he needed to make sure cities don't appear in the water, implying that towns will be closer to water.

Smoothing and map editors open up a whole new world of possibilities.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #685 on: July 09, 2008, 10:09:45 pm »

I am practically hovering with anticipation. Two-three days? It'd be worth the wait for just ONE of the hotly anticipated parts of this release. Even so, I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the World Painter. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 09, 2008, 10:13:39 pm »

The fact that Toady just did a TON of code in one day is promising. (I think he did 22 lines or something?)

I am personally a bit more interested in what he is going to put up as the steps for Release 2... Heck it could include another Megabeast week.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 10, 2008, 02:31:50 am »

I personally don't mind waiting for one more week to gain more features and bugfixes. Just imagine: another monthes of waiting... Without any new features.
isn't it better to spend a week or two in waiting and gain more to play during a next year till the next release?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 10, 2008, 02:45:49 am »

I thought Toady was going to wait until the 23rd to release this? or when he finished the bigfixes...

Whatever ones was later

Alright I am TOTALLY confused now

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 10, 2008, 03:06:11 am »

Well, that most likely means that Toady has planned it like this: "If I can finish it earlier, I do bug fixes or add [something awesome], if not, then I release when it is ready"
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 64