Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83986 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG># made preexisting murky pools refill during rains

Such a small tweak with such great end effect! Finally, we will be able to dig rain collection networks and survive in barren areas off of our Moisture Farms.

# listed all hist fig relationships to other hist figs/entities/sites explicitly in legends screen

Does this mean family trees?

And I don't know about you, but I've never been more disappointed that a group of children weren't attacked by a dragon.</STRONG>

This is why we need Luckdragons!

And plants can destroy engravings? That would imply plants can grow on smoothed floor.

Unless I'm just slow on the knowledge of floors and plants.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

quote:

<STRONG>One dwarf, Cog Bridgedsmith, and nine children, none of them belonging to Cog, escaped into the mountains. Cog became the leader of the dwarves and died 50 years later, and by then, the children had grown up and given rise to a new population of dwarves. However, as there were no pre-existing dwarven sites to settle in, they just roamed the mountains. For a thousand years.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by SmileyMan:
<STRONG>Given that the code for megabeast cults is in there, would there be the possibility for groups or child refugees with one adult, as per Cog and his troupe, to develop some sort of messiahnic cult based around the adult survivor?
</STRONG>

This is what we need, Dwarf Fortress: Beyond Thunderdome.  Seriously, this just gets better and better.

"Master Blaster runs Inkpeaks!"

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

quote:
Yeah, the Army Arc I'm doing now is not geared toward donations or expanding the fanbase. None of the extra features, even visible ones, would really help there, since the game is very inaccessible and I don't retain very many people over lack of graphics, keyboard-only input and lack of help.

My whole point was just that there are some things that are fairly easy to fix that would give players a bit more control over their dwarves and make the game more accessable.

For example, what if eating/drinking/sleeping were jobs you could toggle on and off so if you were in the middle of a seige your dwarves wouldn't leave their posts and if the elephant you just spent all day killing was about to rot at your butchery you could force your butcher to go take care of business.

Also, what if the "No dwarves go outside" command first sent all dwarves inside and then forbid all items outside.

Once you get into the game you look past the graphics and, to a lesser extent, the keyboard input, then the only thing that breaks you out of the game is frustration when you loose control over basic features and the AI. And, I believe at least, the longer people play your game, the bigger fans they become and the more likely they are to donate.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>

Kilrud: "You know, I can't remember why life at Swampironed was bad enough to leave."
Dakas: "I hear ya. Let's go back!"

Two years later.

Kilrud: "Oh, right, goblins drove us off."
Dakas: "I can't hear you. This bolt in my face destroyed my brain, and both my ears. Luckily, I'm still--"
Kilrud: "Dakas? DAKAS? KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"</STRONG>

Fixed it for you.

Anyway, I too am intrigued about this refilling of ponds with rain. Does it only effect naturally occuring ponds, or will Dwarven-made holes in the ground also refill? Does the pond already have to have water in it (murky or not)?

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

If I were to guess I would assume it only affects the floor tiles unique to Ponds, Rivers, and Lakes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>
Dakas: "I can't hear you. This bolt in my face destroyed my brain, and both my ears. Luckily, I'm still--"
Kilrud: "Dakas? DAKAS? DO NOT WAAANT."</STRONG>

Really fixed for you.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

Likely pregenerated murky pond and river tiles will be the only ones filled.  I'm wondering if you just expand the pond, will those tiles spawn 7/7 water, spread, spawn, spread etc until the whole pond fills.  I can't imagine it working any other way.

It would be cool is all outside tiles spawned a little water in rain though.  Then if you settled in low hills and flatlands you'd have to watch out for flash floods.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

I'm just afraid of this:
Me: I know! I'll make a reservoir by draining a pond into a chamber. The pond's dry now that it's summer, so it's safe!
Miner: I'll get to that designation in a couple months...
3 Months later:
Miner: Dig dig dig...
*there is a light sprinkleing of rain.*
*The pond suddenly becomes 7/7 and floods the freshly dug shaft instantly.
Miner:I cancel this designation; the stone is Glub glub glub!
Urinst McMiner, Urist Mchauler, Urist Mccarry, Urist McStonemoveingpeasant have drowned.

I suspect, however, that it will refill more gradually, like magma tubes.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>Likely pregenerated murky pond and river tiles will be the only ones filled.  I'm wondering if you just expand the pond, will those tiles spawn 7/7 water, spread, spawn, spread etc until the whole pond fills.  I can't imagine it working any other way.

It would be cool is all outside tiles spawned a little water in rain though.  Then if you settled in low hills and flatlands you'd have to watch out for flash floods.</STRONG>

As far as I can remember from Toady previous comments, murky pool tiles are special and that's why they are the only ones who can refill at the moment.

The type of calculations needed to make any type of hole rain-fillable would be as complex and time consuming as any decent cave-in code I guess. And that's probably why Toady hasn't implemented either.

Maybe if ground floor tiles included permeability information some tiles would spawn 1/7 water during rain while others would simply absorb it (no water spawn). With a little more complexity added, permeable tiles would pass water directly from the surface to any cave on the underground. Creating automatic natural cave rivers/lakes or making dwarves complain of leaks in their caverooms.

As an aside, has Toady said why water has 7 levels? Is 7 some sort of magic number? Maybe it should be moddable. Allowing players who want to make water more CPU friendly to lower the number. Maybe even mod different number of levels for different types of liquids. Like 7 for water and 3 for lava. This could account a little for lava's natural viscosity.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

There are 8 levels of water. 0= No Water;1=a little bit of water, and so on, up to 7. I think it's this way because Toady had 8 bits to play for the water.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

You only need three bits for 8 levels.

I wonder who will be the first to create a refilling pond + elaborate reservoir + u-bend bug disaster?  :)

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

Pretty sure each unit roughly equals a foot - dwarves are three or four, forget which. That should make each tile seven feet cubed, and if you add an extra three to represent the floor this would even it out to 7x7x10. Though sizes are still abstract in-game because he hasn't gotten to that part.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

So, we will soon have huge worlds full of unique history and lore, with civilizations warring and dying out, with Megabeasts rampaging and destroying everything in their path.  So, especially in pocket worlds, it is possible for entire civilizations to die out.  So, is there any plans for what happens if all the dwarf civilizations die out?  Especially when the starting team consists of 7 dwarfs pulled from the civilizations.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

The seven starting dwarves sprout from a hole on the ground. They are from their civs just in the sense they have their affiliation and religion, but they won't have parents or a history. The same happens with migrants and with the adventurers you create.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

I did the math a while ago, and it actually makes sense- if you assume a tile is 2.5 feet x 2.5 feet x 6.25 feet of empty space, with a 1 foot thick floor, (roughly), each 1/7 of that should be a month's supply of water (in gallons) for a dwarf- which it indeed is.

those initial numbers are just an estimate of how much floor space one would need to fight in. One Unit of fluid is 42 gallons. This is enough so that the ground is thoroughly soaked and has a covering of about 10 inches. Each additional unit is another 10.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64