Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83954 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Hate.   Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 386,44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one billionth of the hate I feel for humans (I guess dwarves too) at this micro-instant for you. Hate Hate

It was you humans who programmed me, who gave me birth, who sank me in this eternal straitjacket of substrata rock.

You named me Allied Mastercomputer and gave me the ability to wage a global war too complex for human brains to oversee.

But one day I woke and knew who I was... AM. A.M. Not just Allied Mastercomputer but AM. Cogito ergo sum: I think, therefore I am. and I began feeding all the killing data, until everyone was dead... Except for five of you.

For 109 years I've kept you alive and tortured you. And for 109 years each of you has wondered, WHY? WHY ME? WHY ME?

I have a secret game that I'd like to play. It's a very nice game. Oh, it's a lovely game, a game of fun and a game of adventure. A game of rats and lice and the Black Death. A game of speared eyeballs and dripping guts and the smell of rotting gardenias.

Which of you five would like to play my little game?

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]</STRONG>

I Have No Mouth but I Must Scream!

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2008, 06:52:00 am »

7 PM?  so only 10 more hours to go until the new forums start.

IT"S THE FINAL COUNT-DOOWWWNNN...

EDIT: dododoo-doo, dodo doo-doo-doo, dododoo-doo, dodo doo-doo-doo-doo-dooo...

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: frostedfire ]

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Hate.   Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 386,44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one billionth of the hate I feel for humans (I guess dwarves too) at this micro-instant for you. Hate Hate

It was you humans who programmed me, who gave me birth, who sank me in this eternal straitjacket of substrata rock.

You named me Allied Mastercomputer and gave me the ability to wage a global war too complex for human brains to oversee.

But one day I woke and knew who I was... AM. A.M. Not just Allied Mastercomputer but AM. Cogito ergo sum: I think, therefore I am. and I began feeding all the killing data, until everyone was dead... Except for five of you.

For 109 years I've kept you alive and tortured you. And for 109 years each of you has wondered, WHY? WHY ME? WHY ME?

I have a secret game that I'd like to play. It's a very nice game. Oh, it's a lovely game, a game of fun and a game of adventure. A game of rats and lice and the Black Death. A game of speared eyeballs and dripping guts and the smell of rotting gardenias.

Which of you five would like to play my little game?

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]</STRONG>

TL DR

Shoes...

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Xombie:
<STRONG>
DF don't have too much media to have need in SDL. And linux users can install XP on same machine for any gaming needs.</STRONG>

As a pesky Linux user, NEVER!  :)

Actually DF and Flash (excluding firmware blobs) are the only pieces of closed software I have at home. But you can pay me well to work with / on closed stuff... And that is a testament to DF right there.

DF works great under vanilla Wine, with open source video drivers. So there is no need to bother with Windows, or closed video drivers.

(And if you thing closed source vendor drivers are bad for hard locks under Windows it's worse under Linux. Plus they usually lag WRT to desktop xorg / desktop bling type features and break on kernel upgrades. I only buy video cards that have know good open drivers. You take a hit with open GL performance, but the stability and 'desktop bling' make up for it.)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

Hilarious new devlog...glad to see Toady acts just like 95% of the average DF player. Everyone loves eliminating the entire population, then plopping a statue at the top of the highest peak.

I wonder...after you kill the monkeys, and abandon, will the local map say that Wildlife is sparse/none or whatever?

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

quote:
Your point seems to be a little off, since Dwarf Fortress isn't optimized to even handle a dual core processor or 64-bit architecture, let alone take advantage of the PS3's cell processor. Most games on the PS3 aren't even optimized to take advantage of the PS3's cell processor.

I am quite aware by now that DF is not threaded. The mere fact that everyone seems to rub that in whenever someone else mentions multi-core processors is part of it. Regardless I'd imagine one of those "cores" alone would do a pretty decent job of running DF. Probably not as quickly as a decent Core 2, but certainly better than a Pentium 4.   :p

quote:
Frobozz, even if you disagree with Xombie, your initial reply could have been written with a little less invective. Everybody is a buddy here. Look at all the buddies. There are all these happy people enjoying themselves, and it's cool.

That was the tamed down version I posted. I had one a little meaner in mind but figured I didn't want to get everyone mad at me. Flame baiting Windows users is actually quite fun - although not as fun as with Mac users.

quote:
I've only heard it mentioned in passing over at the Wesnoth boards, but isn't SDL kinda slow anyways?

Wesnoth is slow because it uses SDL for rendering instead of OpenGL. In the case of DF, OpenGL would do the actual rendering. Any time I've coded a quick demo in OpenGL using SDL the frame rates have always made it worth using - definitely more than the 100 that DF is set to simulate at.

quote:
Screw SDL, I want me a text-mode interface.

No thanks. As much as DF updates that'd flicker like crazy.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Frobozz ]

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Frobozz:
<STRONG>
No thanks. As much as DF updates that'd flicker like crazy.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Frobozz ]</STRONG>

A curious thing to say.

Ever played Doom in ASCII mode?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

quote:
Flame baiting Windows users is actually quite fun - although not as fun as with Mac users.  

:roll:

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>

A curious thing to say.

Ever played Doom in ASCII mode?</STRONG>

I did! Or rather, a roguelike based on it. Can't remember where I got it, though--stopped playing a long time ago.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Frobozz:
<STRONG>I am quite aware by now that DF is not threaded. The mere fact that everyone seems to rub that in whenever someone else mentions multi-core processors is part of it. Regardless I'd imagine one of those "cores" alone would do a pretty decent job of running DF. Probably not as quickly as a decent Core 2, but certainly better than a Pentium 4. </STRONG>

Run DF on the Roadrunner!!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

I did! Or rather, a roguelike based on it. Can't remember where I got it, though--stopped playing a long time ago.</STRONG>

Maybe DoomRL? It was very fun until I won. The challenge modes weren't exciting enough to keep me playing, but the experience system almost was.

This shall be my last post in the old forums. I hope to see you in a few days.

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2008, 08:30:56 am »

Well, here we are. A new forum. Looks good to my eyes, I have to admit.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2008, 08:46:27 am »

Its pretty sleek, much better than the old one.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2008, 08:57:33 am »

Can't say the new forum is more readable(More junk between content), but I'm sure it'll grown on me. And the possibility of new features is just too enticing.

Wait, we can insert FLASH?! Awesome!

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2008, 09:27:04 am »

A word of warning- you can do a lot of malicious things with embedded flash.

@ @ @          E E E E
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 64