Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83938 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

I imagine if there are real punishments, something that's unthinkable would probably result in mob violence.  Stoning or something similar.  At least that's the way I think of people reacting to something they consider unthinkable.
Shoes...

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xombie:
<STRONG>DF don't have too much media to have need in SDL. And linux users can install XP on same machine for any gaming needs.</STRONG>

Doesn't have enough media to warrant switching to SDL? That may or may not be the case, but that isn't the primary advantage to switching to SDL. If you were anything more than an idiot Windows user you would know that portability is very important to a project of this size. Take a look at all the platforms SDL supports. Amongst them are the PlayStation 2 and 3. Now imagine how fast DF would be running on the PlayStation 3's Cell processor. Get the point?

Of course the PlayStations aren't the only possible targets. SDL has quite a huge list of platforms it is supported on. Amongst them a lot of platforms that Windows is incapable of even getting on. Thus installing Windows is not a good solution at all. But of course you wouldn't know that would you? After all... you're the type who thinks someone has to run Windows to be considered a gamer. You should see my Linux gaming rig if you think so.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

Windows is Hitler, Linux is Stalin, and Mac is Ron Paul.

Godwin's Law invoked, potential flamewar averted.

Shoes...

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Frobozz:
<STRONG>
Doesn't have enough media to warrant switching to SDL? That may or may not be the case, but that isn't the primary advantage to switching to SDL. If you were anything more than an idiot Windows user you would know that portability is very important to a project of this size. Take a look at all the platforms SDL supports. Amongst them are the PlayStation 2 and 3. Now imagine how fast DF would be running on the PlayStation 3's Cell processor. Get the point?</STRONG>

Your point seems to be a little off, since Dwarf Fortress isn't optimized to even handle a dual core processor or 64-bit architecture, let alone take advantage of the PS3's cell processor.  Most games on the PS3 aren't even optimized to take advantage of the PS3's cell processor.

Senso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://lendemaindeveille.com
« Reply #364 on: June 13, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xombie:
<STRONG>
And linux users can install XP on same machine for any gaming needs.</STRONG>

Wait, what?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 13, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

The "no more blockiness" feature is supreme awesomeness, for one additional reason. If you look at the island maps provided, you can see that many islands are now smaller than a single tile, so island fortresses are GO!  :D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 13, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

The new world maps are a ridiculous improvement on the old ones. But it makes me very curious as to what it looks like at the fully zoomed-in level. A movie of Toady just scrolling around a large 10x10 site to show how things look now (assuming of course that they do look different) would be awesome. I've also been extremely curious as to how the roads and tunnels look up close; but I guess Toady feels he shouldn't record that as it's still unfinished and has problems.

Also, the idea of a possible release before the end of June is very tantalizing. May you code well and true, Toady!

火族

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 13, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

About laptops and heat problems: if your laptop is running suspiciously hot, there's a chance that the ventilator fans/heatsinks/what have you are clogged with dust or dirt. You could try cleaning the ventilation system. A can of compressed air, available at any computer/office supply store, seems to be a good investment.

I just cleaned my six months old laptop yesterday and now it's running a good 15-20C cooler (really, the improvement was massive - apparently the CPU fan had been barely able to function). I didn't disassemble the laptop; following recommendations from several notebook support forums etc., I just carefully sprayed compressed air into the air intakes and outflow holes. I also wedged the fans in place while spraying, as I read that they can be damaged by the force of the air if able to rotate freely.

Note that I don't know whether this method is actually a good one or if I came within inches of wrecking my fans or something; so while it did work like a charm for me, please exercise caution :P Also those of you who know more about computer hardware, please comment if the fan-wedging is dangerous or if there is something critical I failed to mention...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 13, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »

I just looked at the Raws, not a modder but Ive always been interested in doing so, and I just wonder if the Spheres are set (was looking at Creature Standard) or if you could if you wanted to make them up within creature standard

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Ron Paul?
He was never the head honcho or a country, and he doesn't seem like the Mac counterpart in your analogy.
Anyone come up with a Mac-like ruthless dictator?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

Chairman Mao.

"We all must carry our little red-(Mac)book.  Everyone one must be their own unique person just the same as everyone else."

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Perhaps we should get together a list of new tags and stuff? I already see [CANNOT_UNDEAD], which I think will help modders a lot.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

There were no serious references in my invocation, I just grabbed random political figures and attached them to things.
Shoes...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress already runs well under wine, I don't really see much purpose to switching over to SDL. It would just be more work for Toady, and we don't want that.

EDIT: Oh, and I have an unused usb laptop cooler lying around here, somewhere. Maybe I could look into donating it for the cause.

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

So far, the ethics tags seem to be, in (rough and personal estimation of) order of rank/severity:

quote:
<STRONG>NOT_APPLICABLE
ACCEPTABLE
MISGUIDED
ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED
JUSTIFIED_IF_NO_REPERCUSSIONS
JUSTIFIED_IF_SELF_DEFENSE
JUSTIFIED_IF_EXTREME_REASON
PERSONAL_MATTER
PUNISH_REPRIMAND
PUNISH_SERIOUS
SHUN
PUNISH_EXILE
PUNISH_CAPITAL
APPALLING
UNTHINKABLE</STRONG>

These tags are nice and granular, and allow a lot of insight into an entity and how a particular civ deals with certain activities. To elves, killing plants is a crime as "unthinkable" as dwarves find the torture of animals just for kicks. Humans have no qualms about slavery, while goblins find it a personal offense. All civs feel capital punishment is a proper recourse for oath-breaking, except kobolds, to which such concepts of loyalty don't even apply. Humans are fine with torture as long as it's for information, or to make an example of someone, but just for fun is appalling to them, and people that do it to animals are shunned by society.

The question is whether the entities will have characters that run around performing these actions on each other during play or world gen, whether it's mostly "fluff" and for entity conflicts, or if it's intended as a guideline for what happens when a player wanders into town.

Derp.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 64