Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83950 times)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>
A dark fortress with dwarves and gobs run by gobs has a population mix as the result of kidnapping.  A dwarf fortress with dwarves and gobs run by dwarves has a population mix as a result of both prior kidnappings and dwarven immigration.  Contrary to general player behavior, dwarves tend to be the most lenient with captured populations of any of the critters.  The current human entity has slavers, the elves kill and (currently abstractly) eat their enemies, and goblins make grotesque body sculptures and so on.</STRONG>

This is so awesome...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Everything in that post is just awesome! I love you Toady!  :D

About the choosing of migrants/starting dwarves from sites:
Migrants; make it an init.txt option.
Starting dwarves: have play now chose them randomly, maybe biased to choosing skilled ones, have "prepare carefully" work like it does now, and add a third option that have you chose dwarves from a list and chose equipment like "prepare carefully".
Might that work?

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Quick question about history culling.

What do you mean about removing dead hist figs? Like...say some Urist McDwarf goes out, kills a bunch of things, gets a name, fathers a bunch of kids, but then dies before world gen is over. Will his history be erased?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #288 on: June 11, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

Yeah, allowing any option for the starting group would probably be best.  Perhaps if you choose to have the 7 generated from scratch, it could still allow you to connect them to the world bit more if you want (using whatever system comes up for that in adv mode later on).

If this is the concern, all history culling is optional (in the world gen parameters).  But yeah, a dead critter below a certain importance level that has been dead a period of time will be removed if you set it to be removed (culling will be on by default in a standard-sized world so as to keep the system requirements where they are at for the time being).  This is a mem/space saving issue.  You can keep it all if you like.  A standard DF world without culling eats up around 700MB during world generation -- this is keeping all of the information at its fingertips rather than down on the hard drive.  Another take on the issue would be to put more of the information down on the drive during gen/play, though this would cause some speed trouble or alternatively conversation/diplomacy/art generation deficits if it doesn't load the events.  I prefer to keep it all loaded if it will fit, but it doesn't fit for some people, so I've added the culling option.  There's more to do with this, in both the deletion and hard disk directions, but I'd just like to optionally lower the mem requirement for the largest worlds this time around.  Also, culling the history events can cut the save file size almost in half -- and a standard world is now up to 50MB, which might be a problem for people that send worlds around, etc.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 11, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>The Caravan Arc is fighting for its spot vs Presentation stuff and Adventurer Skills I think.  I'm sort of tired of doing just one arc at a time (I've enjoyed doing megabeasts and this parameters stuff more than the armies recently, just because I've been on world gen armies for a while), so the current leaning seems to be a mix of the three aforementioned arcs, though mixing in other stuff is fair game.  We're going to talk about it a bit more once this release is out of the way.</STRONG>

I think that's probably for the best. Having a few things you can interchange between when what you've been working on has started to get annoying can be beneficial for your mood.

And I'm not even saying this because I want to see what both Caravan Arc and Adventurer Skills bring. Honest.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>

I think that's probably for the best. Having a few things you can interchange between when what you've been working on has started to get annoying can be beneficial for your mood.

And I'm not even saying this because I want to see what both Caravan Arc and Adventurer Skills bring. Honest.</STRONG>

Couldn't have said it better myself.  :)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

baq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

70C?!? oh man, fix your box! it's waaaaay too hot for a laptop IMHO.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 11, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Wait... you're saying the freezing bug is neither a bug, nor freezing.  Unusual.

So, how is importance determined?  Is it a sum of the number of children and things killed?  Is it possible to adjust the threshold for culling?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

70c is perfectly normal for a processor under strain. It's around the 80-90 marks when your computer will kill itself in order to not, you know, melt.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #294 on: June 11, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

I have a Toughbook designed to work in the Sahara during a sandstorm while being shot at. Current max temp reading: 37C - 98.6 F. I think it is powered by a human heart. Of course, the rest of it is closer to 20C.

My old laptop got up to 120C somehow. I had to use ice packs to keep it running when I played Adventure Mode.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 11, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

Epic.
Shoes...

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 11, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>As dreiche2 mentioned, clearly something additional is needed if there are two equal positive attractors to your NW and NE, to keep you from just walking up to the midpoint between them and standing there, but interpreted loosely it makes sense.</STRONG>

Such a point would be unstable; you'd only get stuck if you STARTED there, or ended up there while walking towards something else that for whatever reason you decided to stop walking towards and recalculate.

Also, if you're walking towards something, it makes sense to only look at the strongest of positive attractors--you pick something and go for it, you don't walk into the middle of two apple trees and expect to pick apples, you go for one or the other.

It's when you're walking AWAY from something that you really want to sum the negative attractors. If you're running away from three goblin siegers, you want to run in the direction that takes you most away from all three. If, on the other hand, you are surrounded on all sides by three kobolds, it makes sense to either be in the exact center, unable to move and cowering in fear, or else rush a perceived gap--both of which could happen with summed negative attraction vectors.

And if you really want to move, say, if you're surrounded by bowelves instead of kobolds and so staying where you are is certain death, then a random "jiggle" to pick a direction could help unstick someone who has at least one attractor/repulsor that should be causing movement, but who isn't otherwise moving.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 11, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>70c is perfectly normal for a processor under strain. It's around the 80-90 marks when your computer will kill itself in order to not, you know, melt.</STRONG>

And Toady said that 70c is idle for him, getting up to the 90s ("hot enough to boil water")during worldgen.

So yeah Toady, heat is almost certainly your problem if those temps are accurate.

Actually, in general a total system freeze in Windows is almost always caused by hardware or driver problems, since the kernel can contain and kill any user-mode process no matter how badly it behaves.

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: Sindai ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 11, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Contrary to general player behavior, dwarves tend to be the most lenient with captured populations of any of the critters.  </STRONG>

Hey now, that's not fair.  :p I might be really nice to captive goblins if there was a way to disarm them and convert them to haulers or something, as it is now the most humane thing I can do is not take them captive in the first place...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

The nice thing I can see about the "attractor" AI, is that it's relatively easy to extend it from animal-behaviour monsters to sentient behaviour.  Just add tasks as waypoints with a very strong attractor.  You could make the strength of the attractor dependent on the species and individual - so a stout, loyal dwarf would ignore the treasure laden cavern in order to follow the orders to kill the dragon, whereas the craven kobold guard would creep away from his post to pilfer a shiny coin.

Which would allow for great tactics - throwing coins as bait to tempt goblins into shooting range!

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 64