Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83983 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Hey Toady, I was wondering how the game handles worlds with no civilizations...or, I guess, more specifically, no Dwarf civs.

What'll happen to the DF mode? As of now, migrants and such just sort of pop out of nothingness and arrive at our fort, which is fine. But what happens when that's changed, and there's no Dwarf migrant population to draw from?

Will it be possible to create apocalyptic-esque worlds where it's impossible to build a fort, because the land is only composed of goblins and cyclopes?

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

Is it possible to increase the amount of volcanism in a world?
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

This is going to be quite an exciting update!

I must say, I think optimization is becoming increasingly important, and lack of might stifle future plans at some point. It may be a good idea to really look into tbb and find out about the licensing. Also a simple optimization to do would be switching to VS2008 is you haven't already, for its increased compiler optimization abilities!

And furthermore, the caravan arc sounds more and more awesome every time I hear about it. Is it on the plate anytime soon? Like after army and the mini UI/GFX tweaks maybe?

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

I noticed in the population list that there were several dark fortresses with both dwarves and goblins. does this mean that one of the two groups was enslaved?
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>If it goes all sci-fi or elemental-planesy, it'll warrant some new biomes I guess.</STRONG>

So once you have either a Ring of Temperature Protection or a Varia Suit, you'll have to worry about entering a Magma Core biome or Star Plasma biome?

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>Hey Toady, I was wondering how the game handles worlds with no civilizations...or, I guess, more specifically, no Dwarf civs.

What'll happen to the DF mode? As of now, migrants and such just sort of pop out of nothingness and arrive at our fort, which is fine. But what happens when that's changed, and there's no Dwarf migrant population to draw from?

Will it be possible to create apocalyptic-esque worlds where it's impossible to build a fort, because the land is only composed of goblins and cyclopes?</STRONG>

IIRC, Toady stated that worlds without dwarf civs will get rejected at worldgen.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

Perhaps wetness could account for an entire soil layer? When it rains, every drop to hit a soil tile would increase the wetness of it. Permeability would ley the water seep down into other layers touching it. Then there are stone layers, which don't allow water to enter unless its a porous rock.

Big rainstorms could cause leaky walls in shallow fortresses. Then you might worry about flooding. Solution? Water can only seep through walls. Thus if you surround a room with constructed walls, no leakage!

... I don't know how this would effect FPS. I imagine it would help that it deals with entire layers instead of tiles themselves, but you never know.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DrPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>...As of now, migrants and such just sort of pop out of nothingness and arrive at our fort...</STRONG>

What I'm really interested in is if it will be possible to have a band of refugees to arrive instead of migrants if there are any refugees still floating around the world. It would be cool to have a group of dwarves show up to your fortress that already have had a history during the world gen.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Ooh, and there should be PTSD-afflicted war veterans wandering around, if you make a loud noise or anything they freak out.
Shoes...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Here's a frozen world and the populations.  </STRONG>

So are there no humans or elves in that world because they can't survive in tundra/glacier biome?  Maybe it would be a good idea for humans to become primitive cave dwellers if they have no place to build a respectable civilization... a cave-man scenario, if you will.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Or just small villages.  I'm not sure if I want to play cavemen.
Shoes...

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

quote:
Frosty World Log:
<STRONG>96: Strurkuuksos, "Humorstolen", a dark fortress
   Owner: The Demon of Locks, goblins
   Parent Civ: The Dungeon of Midnight, goblins
   Leader: Bosa Devilbelted, goblin
   69 dwarves
   31 goblins

97: Dostngospsmoxspu, "Cruelsecret", a dark fortress
   Owner: The Torments of Crushing, goblins
   Leader: Ngerxung Sinfulquake, dwarf
   27 dwarves
   20 goblins</STRONG>

In the first, there are more than twice as many dwarves at this dark tower than goblins, and yet the controlling entity is the goblin civilization. In the second, the numbers are more even but the leader is a dwarf.

Toady, could you give us a little more insight as to how these particular fortresses came to be? Is this the result of snatched children growing up in goblin civilization or something?

Derp.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

I just want to point out the sheer awesomeness of the Hot-World scenario.  He spawned on fire! Doesn't get much better than spontaneously-combusting adventurers.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Frosty World Log:
96: Strurkuuksos, "Humorstolen", a dark fortress
Owner: The Demon of Locks, goblins
Leader: Bosa Devilbelted, goblin
69 dwarves
31 goblins

97: Dostngospsmoxspu, "Cruelsecret", a dark fortress
Owner: The Torments of Crushing, goblins
Leader: Ngerxung Sinfulquake, dwarf
27 dwarves
20 goblins

This also poses the questions, which may have been answered before-  Will a goblin site with a dwaven leader still attack dwarven sites?  With a dwarven army and everything?  If victorious, do they slaughter the civilians like goblins would?  Or does diplomacy come into play here?

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Here's a question- do trees burn now? Toady One mentioned that "trees and towns don't fare so well once you visit them" to paraphrase what he said about the adventurer in the superhot world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 64