Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84021 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Just go into matgloss_stone_soil and take out all the [AQUIFER] tags.

If you're a pansy who can't deal with aquifers that is.

I still don't know how to without freezing temperatures.

[EDIT]Man, I am on a roll with TOTPs.

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Aqizzar ]

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>
Dahghlarglrelargleargle </STRONG>

Looks like Jreengus has been sneaking into the Hell Jelly, bane of life, stockpile again.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

I always turn off aquifers and make sand available from any type of soil. Aquifers and the lack of sand dramatically reduce the selection of prime fortress sites.

But thats just me. Some people like aquifers in combination with mountains, I prefer to make big castle fortresses which require sand, magma and a large flat area.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

I was going to write a big post revisiting the issue of threading.  However, I think it suffices to say that it's not such a difficult issue anymore.  I spent today messing around with Intel's Threading Building Blocks (tbb) and found that it really is easy to use.  I modified a Fractal Brownian Motion (fBm) terrain generator to use tbb and was amazed by the results -- not just in performance, but in the possibilities of its use.

When most laymen or amateur programmings think of implementing threading into an application they tend to think of dividing the program into two or more major tasks.  For example, in a first person shooter one might think of one thread being devoted to rendering, one to physics, one input, one to AI, one to streaming new content, etc. . .  Intel's tbb has shown me that that line of thinking only scratches the surface.

I used tbb to thread each of the three loops in my fBm generator.  The first loop consists of a dozen iterations at most, while the second and third loops consisted of a thousand.  Normally I would never even have considered trying to split such loops into multiple threads.  How many iterations per thread?  How many threads should I have in total?  The answer depends on the platform and would normally require one to write a system to analyze the platform the program is running on.  Use too many threads and you bog down the system with context switches.  Use too little and you're not getting the most out of the hardware.  tbb figures this out for you.  It's easy and it works quite well.

Ostsol

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

Congratulations Toady.  You have made Dwarf Fortress even more awesome. And yer not even done with this part!

Finally! I can recreate the entire WORLD that my Dracon race come from!  And actually have a world that I care enough about to not delete the moment I create a new creature!

*sets aside more donation money than usual, including the entirety of his Friday  and Saturday night restaurant tips*

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

A random thought - "wetness" could just be a seperate flow which produces a unit of water when the wetness flow becomes 7/7.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>Nonono, I am not a carp. Look up my name...

See; I'm Pituary Tumor Transforming Gene! Booga!</STRONG>

So... you're why dwarves are short?

CURSE YOU!!!

*mumble* ...and all these years of being picked on for being short... *grrrnnnggghhh* *larhfgrahghenshghroove!*

Dodok Crowlanced has gone stark raving mad!

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

Sorry if this has already been asked, but the latest update includes a picture of an island in the form of a dwarf head. How was it done ? A map editor ? Or was that pure chance ?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

I am a bit more curious to if the Population count he posted is just something he thrown together or if players can access it (somehow) too.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2008, 02:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>I am a bit more curious to if the Population count he posted is just something he thrown together or if players can access it (somehow) too.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The population information was spit out into a txt that's part of the 'p' region export data now.  Since this release has been centered around world gen, I'm for having that information optionally available, though perhaps it can be a world gen parameter so you can set up worlds that can't be spoiled if you want.</STRONG>

Mmm, delicious population counts...

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Licorice ]

Derp.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:00 am »

The more I read about this arc the more convinced I am that the next dev work will have to be on scars and healing, otherwise the entire world will be full of people who can't walk more than a few steps without passing out

Apart from that, I am so excited for this next update it isn't even funny

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2008, 06:33:00 am »

It shouldn't care what order the dictionary words are in.  Nothing uses the existing order.  I'm not sure why worlds made with the old order will have trouble if you change the order (since offhand, I think it stores the tokens in order and would restore that order on load), but I'd have to check that.

There are various problems with roads and tunnels.  Like I'd walk through a tunnel in adv mode and it would just dead-end when it wasn't supposed to.  That sort of thing.  It's unclear how long that will take.  I don't know where people are getting this out-in-a-week date from.  I mentioned elsewhere that I have a laundry list of 260+ things to look at, and that even if I don't have to do most of the things on the list, it's something I have to go through.  There's still quite a bit of work to do.

Caravan Arc is required to get them connecting with other civs.  Road building material is one of the nebulous issues that I think is on the list for this time but might get put off.

It would be nice if you could change the visible biome for your map, and it wouldn't be too difficult, though a 6x6 fortress in a 16x16 forest square can only do so much damage, so it's not really a pressing concern... and your fortress icon would make it impossible to see anyway.  But there's something to do there.

Yeah, you can walk from town to town on roads, though tunnels have error-blockages too often for me to have done it from dwarf fort to dwarf fort successfully yet.  The bridges look sort of crappy.  I can have screens once I've sorted the issues.  They are too blocky looking now, but I'm not sure I'll get to that.

Bandits are probably going to have to wait for the Caravan Arc as well.  Bandits figure into various dev items though, and they can be a driver for adventure mode development as you take the role of bandit, victim, guard or bandit-hunter.  Lots to do there.

There aren't really canyons in the game now.  They might work better along the lines of a chasm map feature with a bottom.  In that case, the road code would bridge them automatically, which is nice, though the bridges are sort of sad looking compared to those canyon bridge fortress you guys were working on.

I haven't added world names for a while, though for the adjectives around the base name, things get slipped into the "MYTHIC" symbol every once in a while (in language_SYM.txt).  You can put extra word tokens there if you like.

Yeah, the dwarf head was defined in the world parameter txt file.  I haven't cooked up an editor yet, though I might find time for it.  You can't define anything beyond the basic fields at this time, though of course the idea is to expand these options to the point where you could make a complete world (that's the World Generation Parameters section of future dev, which I started early with this), inputting sites and historical figures you'd like to have run around and so on, maybe even putting in your own historical events, though you'd have to be dedicated to replace the automatic generator.  Natural next steps would be entity start locations and river locations, as well as some control over rock layers.

You can't control the aquifers in the parameters.  Not sure what you had in mind.  Turning off the [AQUIFER] tag might work better as an init option, unless you wanted the stone types to be removed.  Then again, once worlds can store their own raws and the txt files are copied over to the region folders (this was a suggestions thread I believe, some time ago, and it would help with many things), it'll make more sense to have raw modification options in the parameters.

Yeah, I don't know if it was tbb or something else, but I've received some correspondence on a few threading applications that work at a small scale like that.  I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet.  After brief look I couldn't find a page that clearly spelled out what the requirements were in tbb for a non-commercial license.  I'm often in a grey area there, I think.

On the wetness flow, depends on how it works -- if there's something churning away throughout the entire outdoors as it rains, it'll bog things down, though I don't suppose it would need rules on par with visible water.

Yeah, scars will be up there with the caravan arc and a projectile weapon overhaul as glaring needs that aren't going to be addressed immediately.

Here's a frozen world and the populations.  Aspects of the world generator aren't designed for extreme temperatures, so if you set the world up to a very, very high temperature, you'll still see trees and civilizations.  They burst into flame if you visit, although it dampens temperatures in forests to acceptable levels, even if the surroundings are burning -- again, it's not equipped at this point to deal with extreme input.  If it goes all sci-fi or elemental-planesy, it'll warrant some new biomes I guess.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2008, 06:41:00 am »

Awesome.

That is all.

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2008, 07:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>They burst into flame if you visit</STRONG>

Ahahahahaha.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2008, 07:19:00 am »

So awesome.
Beyond Quality.

(Beyond Quality is an expression I use when "awesome" is not strong enough.)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 64