Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84052 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>Question for Toady about dictionaries...
...I once tried running the translation files through a sorter to put them in alphabetical order by definition...</STRONG>

I hope you don't mind if I tell you, but I tried the same thing and I know what you mean. I think one would need to generate a new world for it to work.

speaking of generating new worlds...

WOOOO HOOOOOOO! WORLD GEN PARAMITERS!

That is possibly the most awesome news I have heard since... Hillary conceded, I don't know. Still, that is sweet, cool, snap'n, rad, and many more overused terms for epic win. I think I'll probably spend the next several days generating worlds.

Seriously, when I finished reading the devlog, I did a little dance. yippie!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

EXCUSE ME

HOW IS MOAR GEN PARAMETERS ABOUT EXCESS HISTORICAL INFORMATION

TSK

TSK TSK

still pretty cool tho.  :D

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

I just want to say, Toady, that this update is going to be awesome.  I mean, seriously, the more epic update I've seen yet.  I arrived sometime last November, so I wasn't around for the wait for 3D, but even if I was, I think that this would take the cake for me.  As someone who aspires to be a writer one day (specifically, a fantasy writer), I am completely in love with how you managed to create a history generator.  Over the past couple of days, I've found myself rereading your DevLog, just because reading about the exploits and happenings of the world.

Anyways, I was just curious about what you still need to do with roads.  Also, are there any plans for roads that interconnect different civilizations?  And are there any plans for incomplete roads, and (non-paved) roads that travel out into the mountains?  Perhaps humans could make trails through mountains.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2008, 12:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>It wasn't that the water on the roofs looked silly, it's that water pouring off of them and radiating out in a circle when it's raining everywhere looks silly.</STRONG>

I dunno... it probably would look a bit odd, but rain does tend to puddle a lot more around roofs.  I'd think that would be imperfect, but fairly realistic.

*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, there were only 9 GCS -- they are rare now.</STRONG>

Oh man what a relief. In the current release its not unheard of to find caves with more than 10.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mutant mell:
<STRONG>As someone who aspires to be a writer one day (specifically, a fantasy writer), I am completely in love with how you managed to create a history generator.</STRONG>

Same on both counts. I continually pump DF towards my writing friend because of its ability to generate more raw history in 5-20 minutes than an author could pump out in days if they even wanted to do that sort of thing. I am just glad that a human element will always still be required to bring stories to life, or else Dwarf Fortress would put me out of a dream.

This is why I never complain about world generation work. World generation, and the slow discovery of awesome things it has created is something I've never quite enjoyed so much in any other game. The improvements the coming release has made to it will pretty much have me lurking in adventure mode for quite awhile. (and testing whether a modded goblin fortress will get interspecies migrants, but I doubt it will)

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

The way I see it, each release is a pinata. When the new release comes out, we get to bust open that pinata. But until then any and all time spent developing the game equates to filling that pinata with candy.

Delicious candy.   ;)

But seriously, this is foundation work that will have an incredible impact on future releases. Before we had Z levels, DF was a flat world and that was that. Now that we have them and experienced all of the awesome, I can't imagine going back.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>What part of HL2E1 was that?  I don't remember it.</STRONG>

I think it was just a typo. It's a play on this scene from ep2. Nicely done Mr Techhead.

The first world mentioned the dwarves and humans engaging in a bit of deforestation, will this be limited to worldgen or will we be able to effect the biomes in the area of our fort? eg continually clear cutting a forest will change it to scrubland/plains?

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

So roads will appear both in the map and during gameplay in this release? Will my adventurer be able to follow a road from town A to town B without using the map or the compass? If so, I wanna see gameplay screenshots (specially of underground tunnels and bridges)!!!   :D

By the way, world tunnels and roads should spawn kobold thieves or ambushes now and then in adventure mode, making them more interesting to traverse. Or kobold groups that are near roads should set up camps to attack migrant groups. Some quests regarding the cleaning of such camps could also be added.

Also. Bridges that cross large bodies of water (like the fortress bridges some players have created) aren't planned to be added right? That would be cool tough. And if long spanning bridges (and staircases) could be generated also for canyons, then canyons and great cliffs could be reintroduced, since they would no longer impede movement for adventures when traveling to know places. They would only suffer trying to reach caverns. That until climbing skills are introduced   :p

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>By the way, world tunnels and roads should spawn kobold thieves or ambushes now and then in adventure mode, making them more interesting to traverse. Or kobold groups that are near roads should set up camps to attack migrant groups. Some quests regarding the cleaning of such camps could also be added.</STRONG>

IIRC, that's part of the Caravan arc (or would sensibly fit into said Caravan arc).

Derp.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

I can't wait until motorcycles and Mel Gibson are implemented.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2008, 05:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sunday:
<STRONG>I can't wait until motorcycles and Mel Gibson are implemented.</STRONG>

Best post in the topic so far.

Will

• Bay Watcher
  • Carp Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

if you talked to him he would rant about the nearest religion and call all the female guards sugarbussom or what ever he said.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2008, 08:04:00 am »

Yea, I meant HL2:E2, sorry about that, typo.
The excess historical figures part and another batch bug-fixes would probably take a couple days, then comes shiny new release.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2008, 08:46:00 am »

Roads too.

And the demo of the Spore demo(Screw you, EA) comes out in nine days.  It's like Christmas is coming early!

Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 64