Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84076 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

I didn't see any Giant Cave Spiders at all in that world.  Even in the current version the only GCS I saw was in an abandoned fortress.  Have they been made rarer or something?
Shoes...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

One thing that confuses me. When it generates all of these hunter and predator creatures, does it check to see if they have enough food? In that list there are under 200 deer in the entire world, but over 4000 giant eagles. Normally predator populations balance with that of the prey. More food = more predators. Less food = starving predators and less overall.

Does this sort of thing figure into world gen yet?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

Will we be able to see detailed population information like you posted above? It's a neat feature.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>One thing that confuses me. When it generates all of these hunter and predator creatures, does it check to see if they have enough food? In that list there are under 200 deer in the entire world, but over 4000 giant eagles. Normally predator populations balance with that of the prey. More food = more predators. Less food = starving predators and less overall.

Does this sort of thing figure into world gen yet?</STRONG>

This reminds me of Aliens(Alien 2).
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>Will we be able to see detailed population information like you posted above? It's a neat feature.</STRONG>

It might take a bit of the mystery away from it. But as a modding tool that would be great.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

The unit list, set up like that, would be very interesting.

As a way to "balance" it, it could update only civlizations you have contact with in DF mode or meet in Adv mode...and it won't update in real time.

I just have fantasies about being able to visit a city, meet everyone, learn their rich histories, who lives there, what nation is in control, etc. then coming back years later to see what's changed.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Techhead:
<STRONG>DF community
I realize this moment may not be the most convenient for a silly post, but I had to wait until the... cool screenshots were finally released.
There was a time they cared nothing for new World-Gen features; when their only expectation of the Army Arc was new stuff coming at them during history generation.
When Toady stated his arc goals, he acted in the face of objections that it was a mere pittance and of no practical use to anyone.  
He has learned to ignore such nay-sayers when quelling them... was out of the question.
Still, he is not one to squander his investments in time and I remain confident that the arc will be worth far more than the initial appraisal.
That's why I must now... inflict on you some small punishment owed for your own griping.
Wait for the next release, DF community.
I wish I could do more than just make a stupid speech to you, but I have agreed to abide by certain... restrictions.
When you see the... new version, remember these words: "prepare for unforeseen awesomeness".

(Yes, this is an incredibly dumb reference to the G-man in HL2:E1)</STRONG>

Anybody know what he is talking about?

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>The unit list, set up like that, would be very interesting.

As a way to "balance" it, it could update only civlizations you have contact with in DF mode or meet in Adv mode...and it won't update in real time.

I just have fantasies about being able to visit a city, meet everyone, learn their rich histories, who lives there, what nation is in control, etc. then coming back years later to see what's changed.</STRONG>

I don't see what is wrong with the unit list.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

Yes. And I really have no idea how you find it difficult to understand. He's saying that the people who ridiculed Toady for wanting to focus on world generation for these past few months will now get their just desserts, and are being forced to wait until release for this exciting tidbit.

It would probably work better as a sentiment if the release wasn't so close at hand. :P

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

He's obviously talking about the fact that people bitched that Toady wasn't doing enough non-worldgen things, only to now be praising what he's done, and he's complimenting Toady on not taking the bitching to heart and trucking right through.

I'm sure everyone understood him, stop trying to start shit.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>Yes. And I really have no idea how you find it difficult to understand. He's saying that the people who ridiculed Toady for wanting to focus on world generation for these past few months will now get their just desserts, and are being forced to wait until release for this exciting tidbit.

It would probably work better as a sentiment if the release wasn't so close at hand. :P</STRONG>

I don't understand.  How are they getting their just desserts, how did they ridicule Toady, and what exciting tidbit?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

What part of HL2E1 was that?  I don't remember it.
Shoes...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

Honestly? I don't even remember the fuss if there ever was a big one. What ever deal is being made out of this right now is, I feel, much too big of one. Though that's only my opinion (and it looks like the opinion of others who are obviously sensing a troll).
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>Honestly? I don't even remember the fuss if there ever was a big one. What ever deal is being made out of this right now is, I feel, much too big of one. Though that's only my opinion (and it looks like the opinion of others who are obviously sensing a troll).</STRONG>

I'm really sad now.  I blame Bob Dylan.  Also what are you talking about?

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

This thread is quite steadily derailing. Let's ignore the oddly-quoted Half-Life 2 quotes and Bob Dylan, shall we?

So, who else thinks the lower island on the good ocean image from devlog looks like it's out of someone's D&D campaign (with the Dark Fortress smack in the center)?

Derp.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64