Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84077 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mutant mell:
<STRONG>

First of all, sorry about the grammar.  I just got done with a math final, and thinking in proper English is not my first priority.

Second of all, if you're going to grammar Nazi, then spell correctly in your own post.  Grammatically, not gramatically.

Third of all, I got the following from Toady's DevLog:

"Islands via increased low elevation frequencies."
"No rain (aside from the orographic stuff it forces in), and 10x the number of caves (caves have been made visible in all of these images)."

The second quote is for the wasteland.

If you decrease the rainfall, then there should be a rocky waste.  Then, if you increase the high elevation frequencies, then it should do the opposite of islands.

I apologize for the grammar, like I said, proper English is not currently my highest priority, and I tend to change my mind about what I'm going to type halfway through typing it anyways.</STRONG>

Obviously my motives are unknown even to me.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

Ha found it.  A song that helps explain my situation.  Ignoring a few peculiarities of course.  "Don't Ask Me Why" by Billy Joel
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2008, 07:17:00 pm »

Please stop fighting.

I'll write more later, until then, here is a world with the minimum elevation set to sea level, edge oceans set to zero, double evil territories, no good territories, mid to high savagery, maximum temperature, zero rainfall, one river, double caves and extra volcanos.  You can't max out savagery or it rejects because it can't place a dwarf civ, and you need to set edge oceans to zero if you set the min elevation at or above sea level.  You can log rejects to figure out what's going wrong, but it won't patch up your mistakes for you automatically.

map
territory

As usual, the demons made it through.  One of the towers has two goblins, another has a healthy goblin pop, and another has 6 goblins and 39 humans.  There are also 42 kobolds in the cave territory up at the top.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

Toady i like to build "in" Lakes is there a way to increase the number of them?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Toady, it seems this feature not only came out of left field, but is now my most anticipated feature this release.

Dear god, you're quite the wonder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it.
Shoes...

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it.</STRONG>

What did you see?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

DF community
I realize this moment may not be the most convenient for a silly post, but I had to wait until the... cool screenshots were finally released.
There was a time they cared nothing for new World-Gen features; when their only expectation of the Army Arc was new stuff coming at them during history generation.
When Toady stated his arc goals, he acted in the face of objections that it was a mere pittance and of no practical use to anyone.  
He has learned to ignore such nay-sayers when quelling them... was out of the question.
Still, he is not one to squander his investments in time and I remain confident that the arc will be worth far more than the initial appraisal.
That's why I must now... inflict on you some small punishment owed for your own griping.
Wait for the next release, DF community.
I wish I could do more than just make a stupid speech to you, but I have agreed to abide by certain... restrictions.
When you see the... new version, remember these words: "prepare for unforeseen awesomeness".

(Yes, this is an incredibly dumb reference to the G-man in HL2:E1)

Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Please stop fighting.

I'll write more later, until then, here is a world with the minimum elevation set to sea level, edge oceans set to zero, double evil territories, no good territories, mid to high savagery, maximum temperature, zero rainfall, one river, double caves and extra volcanos.  You can't max out savagery or it rejects because it can't place a dwarf civ, and you need to set edge oceans to zero if you set the min elevation at or above sea level.  You can log rejects to figure out what's going wrong, but it won't patch up your mistakes for you automatically.

map
territory

As usual, the demons made it through.  One of the towers has two goblins, another has a healthy goblin pop, and another has 6 goblins and 39 humans.  There are also 42 kobolds in the cave territory up at the top.</STRONG>

I notice a dead Dwarf civilization in that upper mountain range, and one outpost in a valley with no land access to the rest of the world.  That it's a ruin tells me neighbors can now reach, and attack, by more than just non-mountain land routes.  Am I correct?

Also, I can't wait to play in a desolate world like that, but if the world settings are cranked too far to the blasted end of the scale, is it virtually impossible to get healthy civs?

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Techhead:
<STRONG>DF community
I realize this moment may not be the most convenient for a silly post, but I had to wait until the... cool screenshots were finally released.
There was a time they cared nothing for new World-Gen features; when their only expectation of the Army Arc was new stuff coming at them during history generation.
When Toady stated his arc goals, he acted in the face of objections that it was a mere pittance and of no practical use to anyone.  
He has learned to ignore such nay-sayers when quelling them... was out of the question.
Still, he is not one to squander his investments in time and I remain confident that the arc will be worth far more than the initial appraisal.
That's why I must now... inflict on you some small punishment owed for your own griping.
Wait for the next release, DF community.
I wish I could do more than just make a stupid speech to you, but I have agreed to abide by certain... restrictions.
When you see the... new version, remember these words: "prepare for unforeseen awesomeness".

(Yes, this is an incredibly dumb reference to the G-man in HL2:E1)</STRONG>

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

Custom worlds presumably. Were going to have to make a guide for this sort of thing because it sounds like there will be many different settings and certain combinations just don't work.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Site/region pop breakdown from a world with the same parameters.  The region pops at the bottom are heavily skewed toward savage mountain/desert pops, and the giant evil mountain range gave rise to all those dark gnomes.  Populations for map features like chasms can't be checked quickly since they aren't generated until a square is loaded.

I'll get to the questions in a bit.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

That's one badass world you have there Toadster...
GCS sure breed alot.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Site/region pop breakdown from a world with the same parameters.  The region pops at the bottom are heavily skewed toward savage mountain/desert pops, and the giant evil mountain range gave rise to all those dark gnomes.  Populations for map features like chasms can't be checked quickly since they aren't generated until a square is loaded.</STRONG>

You just had to post more information.  Now I'm wondering when you plan to add creature hunger/starvation.  Because civ-creatures are the pests in a world of giants and cyclopses there.  Brutal.

And once again, the scale is astounding.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>That's one badass world you have there Toadster...
GCS sure breed alot.</STRONG>

Are you thinking of the cave spiders? They're the little ones that leave webbing everywhere. From the log, there's only about nine GCS in the world (five in one cave, ouch).

As if I weren't already waiting with bated breath for the next DF release, these world gen parameters are amazing. The fact you can export the list of units like that is also astounding; now, if you wanted to, you really *could* wipe out all the goblins in the world - and check up on your progress periodically to make sure they were all gone!

Derp.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64